Sunday, January 02, 2011

DVF Inspired Dress

I really liked this DVF dress from the Pre-fall 2010 line:


I knew I could reproduce it from my TNT dress pattern...but was concerned that it's going to be very cold here this winter so did I really want another dress?  Well of course, I did!

Some stats:

Pattern:
TNT dress pattern (princess seam version) - added some long sleeves to this adaptation per the inspiration dress.

Fabric:
Vera Wang Lavender Line Wool Jersey

Notions:
20" gray zipper
1 yard bias binding

Construction Details:
I don't know what I'm thinking some days when I'm cutting out, but I added 5/8" seam allowances to only one side of each pattern piece...which of course I ended up taking out of all the seams, several times.  The finished dress was just too big. 

The dress is unlined.  I thought I would add a lining to it but the fabric is sooooo heavy that I changed my mind during construction.  So why did I pick this heavy fabric in the first place, because it's cold on Monday's in my office...very cold especially since I sit in front of a window...and I need to be warm. 


I did something with this dress that I never do...the seams are unfinished.  There was no need as the fabric does not ravel. 


The dress also has a handpicked zipper in the back.  This was done as an afterthought because I was basting the zipper in and thought I would just finish putting the entire thing in by hand.  It gives it a really nice touch I think!


The neckline was cut very low on the front to imitate the DVF inspiration dress.  A double line of topstitching was added to the front, unlike the original dress, because I needed to break up all that gray fabric.  One of the main attractions of the DVF dress was the neckline because it allows me to wear a variety of tops under the dress.  I like having the option to layer it as I please.

Option 1

worn with a black cashmere turtleneck
patterned stockings and shoe booties

Option 2

worn with a white cotton tank top

Option 3

worn with a red sleeveless turtleneck
and my funky black 'n white shoes

Since the dress is unlined, I added bias strips at the neckline which at first I hand hemmed.  However, the hand stitching left marks in the fabric so I went back and machine stitched it down.  I also machine stitched the hems of the sleeves, as well as, the hem of the dress.

Finally, it really is a pretty basic dress that will be used as a layering piece.  I can add or take away from the dress and totally affect the look I'm getting by doing so.  My only wish is that I liked my waistline in a belt...then it really would be exactly like the DVF Inspiration Dress.

I've finished up a pair of pants but need a top piece to go over them before I photograph them...so that's what I'm working on now.

And a parting shot...

I love these shoe booties and the patterned hose.  I don't get to wear them to work often, but I use this combination on Casual Fridays.


...as always, more later!

46 comments:

  1. Another winner! You are such an inspiration.
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I agree with the wishing to wear a belt but I tried it out myself with a dress for a wedding and it worked out perfectly but I put the belt a bit higher than my waist and it made it look more like an empire waist. Maybe try that? I got a paten leather belt with a buckle that was all full of black and clear gems. It really jazzed up the simple dress that I wore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome dress! I love the versatility. I want a comfy long-sleeve knit dress, too. Especially now that I see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So love your dress! And its amazing how the different colours of under tops changes the look- I always forget that about colour combinations. The wool fabric drapes really attractively on you too- i like wool fabric and very thin tweeds though they can be difficult to find.
    Anyhow, I think you've done a great job with the original idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea! Sort of a jumper, but with sleeves. Bet it would look good with a blouse with a collar too. Staying warm is of primary importance these days - might just have to steal your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks warm and comfy. Great fabric choice/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the wool jersey. Looks like you will be able to wear it with many different looks! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I promise you, nothing is seasonal anymore, have you seen the leather shorts trend?
    Anyway, Love the new dress, minimalism is it right now, I love how your did the different looks, its so versatile, great shoes, great boots, I love those patterned leggings, very on trend, you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this dress! I especially like it with the black turtleneck underneath. And those black and white shoes, so cute! It's hard to see, but are they a cow print? I also love the black booties - I've been buying shoes lately. I've never been a shoe aficionado, but that seems to be changing. :)

    Another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want that dress right now!!!

    Obviously, another winner and it looks like a great dress that will become a real favorite. Love the shoe booties too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!!! Girl I love it. I am a huge DVF fan. I think I might have to cop this one off of you. Beautiful!! Nice start for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolyn, this is truly a versatile piece. I especially love it with the patterned stockings and shoe booties - sharp looking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love option number one. Those tights jumped out at me! Great dress and I love gray.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The neckline of this dress is super flattering on you and it does look great worn over all the different tops you are modeling. I love the booties and patterned hose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. DVF did you right! A great addition to your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice! My favorite is with the red sleeveless turtleneck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the dress on you, and the different neckline additions that you have added. You are so talented and an inspiration to me. It is Jan. 1, and I am at my sewing machine too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What possibilities with different colors underneath. Love the look with the booties too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The shoe booties are gorgeous! This dress is so versatile; you can add cardigans over the top, too, if it's really cold

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carolyn this looks great! Make it again in a colour & I reckon it will rival the Macy's dress.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great dress! I love my brown shoe booties that I bought, but really have a hard time making them work. Seems like the answer is same color legs.

    Can't wait to see the next pieces to emerge from your machine. It's like it sews by itself! g

    ReplyDelete
  22. Verrry Cute, Carolyn. I love the hosiery. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great first dress for the new year. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Carolyn... that is a lovely dress and love the versatility of it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm happy you always follow your urges to sew yet another dress (smile)! This one's great and I love that you can change it up based on what you wear underneath. It can always look like another dress. Such wearability!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Layering! way to go- I love that dress and all the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another great winner and it is very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! That dress looks so stylish and comfy. never thought I'd put those two words together! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Unfinished seams? This must have been a breeze to put together. You look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a versatile piece for your wardrobe. I also love pattern stockings and yours look great with the booties. Looks like you will be starting your week in style! Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great Knock-Off. The dress is beautiful. A great wardrobe staple!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's a great dress and you wear a lovely smile, also. But, ahem--it doesn't look like a jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  33. With minus degrees here in eastern Washington, WARM is all I can think of! Your dress looks great and I love the versatility. Enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this dress and the shoe booties which you can just send directly to me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great dress - love the way you can layer.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Caroline,
    How inspiring!
    Congratulations on another winner.
    Caroline, thank you for your authenticity, your warmth, your kindness in sharing your sewing experiences, and encouraging the inner sewist in your grateful readers.
    Aspiring to sew more,
    Lynda (aka Persevering)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your interpretation of the DVF dress. I am always so impressed by how you can take a designer look and reproduce it but also make it totally your own. This dress is going to serve you very well - I love how it can be made to look different by changing the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like that slit neckline--great idea to dress it up with different layers underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love this - so many styling options, and the color works better than the original, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love it! What a great dress and so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the dress and love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gotta love an easy dress that can be layered over a variety of tops. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the dress, in all its views. And I sure do love your shoes! I have a major case of shoe envy---esp. since I'm not supposed to wear heels anymore. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a fabulous looking dress, I love it! The neckline is my favorite detail!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails