Sunday, June 05, 2011

Another CJ Princess Seam Dress

Audrey of Sew Tawdry wrote:
"Somehow I couldn't picture a CJ pattern and fabric combo working for you. But I think the style of the dress is interesting and very flattering."

You know I use to feel the same way.  It's one of the reasons why I hadn't used her patterns before.  Purchased them ~ yes.  Admired them on others ~ most definitely.  But figuring out if they would work for me ~ didn't think so especially since most of them are designed to work with knits...and you know how iffy I am about knits.

So it is amazing to me that of the last 6 dresses I've made 5 have been constructed using a knit fabric...

Anyway, here is the next version of the CJ Princess Seam Dress.



There are a couple of changes.

1.  I altered all of the pieces by adding a 1/4 inch to each side seam.  Even though many thought the original dress flattering on me, I didn't.  I don't like close fitting garments.  I'm happier when a garment gives the illusion of fitting closely but actually skims my body.  Probably why I like those 1960s silhouettes so much!

2.  I traced additional pieces for the back and side so that all of the pieces would lay singly on top of the fabric.  I wanted to insure that the border print matched all the way around the dress.

3.  I lined the dress.  Boy did that give the dress some heft and you can't see one bump or lump now.


4.  Even though I followed Christine's directions exactly at the neckline, my lining was still rolling slightly to the front.  So I added another line of stitching to hold it flat.  I'm sure its something I did rather than there's a problem with her instructions...especially since the directions gives you a heads up about the challenge and how to resolve it.

5.  I cut sleeves for the dress but after trying it on decided that I would just make it sleeveless.  I have more than enough cardigans to wear with it.

6.  Instead of a serged hem, I added three inches to this version and the dress has a one inch hem sewn down using a twin needle.

Even though I've fabric pulled to make another one...I'm going to give this pattern a rest for a minute.  I need to let this pattern marninate before tackling it again.  Plus I have sooooo many things I want to make that I think I will revisit this pattern again for early fall sewing.  It would be great with 3/4 sleeves, a sleeveless turtleneck and tights.

Some stats:

I used a polyester knit from the $2.97 table at GStreet Fabrics.  It's slightly heavier than the original rayon/lycra knit but still has the drape necessary to create that beautiful fall at the hemline.

It is lined with tricot lining from fabric.com which I've used in several of my knit dresses.

A few additional shots:

hands on hips pose

side view

back view

with a cardigan

I really do like this dress...even more now that I've done hair and make-up and had my handy photographer take pictures!  *LOL*  I'm also thankful to Christine for trusting me to review her pattern and fabrics.  I hope that I've done them justice and that I've encouraged someone to try out her line, as well as, her fabrics.  I'm thinking about taking your advice and making a top from the first version...so we'll see.  I would hate to have that beautiful fabric just laying around my apt! 

However, I now have a quandry about what to wear tomorrow!  Now that the restrictions are "gone" I feel like I have an abundance of choices...

...as always, more later! 

52 comments:

  1. Another great border print creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that version of the dress....your border print dresses are always so gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, it almost looks like a top and skirt, given that the border print comes up near to the waist. Congrats on your stamina with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is beautiful! and your pattern matching impeccable. I love this dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this version of the CJ dress. It is perfect for the workplace with the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dress....looks great on you. On another note, have you ever counted how many dresses you have?

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow does that border print look awesome! i'm going to come over & steal this dress from you. ;) i've been finding myself wearing knit sleeveless dresses a lot recently, it's like wearing a super comfy tshirt but at the same time looking more presentable than shorts and a tank top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this dress on you. The border is laid out perfectly for adding definition to your waist! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this one is much better and looks fabulous on you,Carolyn. I really like the neckline and lining a dress is always worth it isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your version of this dress and it really looks great! Another awesome creation. I especially like it with the cardigan. You know so well what looks good on your body...I'm still working at getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to see you smiling in pictures again! It's very flattering and fun on you- you're so good at persisting until you make a pattern work for you. Most of us could learn that from you, and I am doing my best to not give up on patterns that I like but that don't work the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great new dress, the fabric is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're looking good. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this dress, Carolyn! I love the asymmetric design and I love it on you! So glad I have some of this fabric, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fabric! You look great! A nice style. I have the same CJ pattern. After your review I will definitely be making this dress soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very cute on you! I'm not normally a fan of asymmetry, but I really like this - plus you're inspiring me to try some border prints. I've always been scared of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dress is great. I just received the pattern and will be looking for some appropriate fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beautiful dress! I can't wait to see the early fall version.

    ReplyDelete
  19. O.k. loving the border print!It turned out great! And the last one, the blue w/white... better with-out the sash... your daughter and you know your stuff! I do like the print you made it out of though, very nice and Summery on you! Really pretty! And the prince,
    well.... what' not to like! It's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are simply faboulous...

    ReplyDelete
  21. That border print is gorgeous! :) The dress looks great!
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice work!! Nice use of the border and great swish factor.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dress is so gorgeous on you. Love the border. Love the asymmetrical neckline. Love the flare in the hem. Gorgeous.

    And I've learned that perseverance is the name of the game...if you'd given up after the first dress (which was also lovely but I hear you about your reservations) then you'd have missed out on this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is very flattering on you, Caroline. The border print layout is just perfect. Big success!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful dress--you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carolyn, you inspired me to order the dress and try it out! I love CJ's other patterns, but never thought about this dress. I've cut it out from a beige ottoman knit fabric for a wearable muslin; it's sort of a beefy knit, because I also don't want lumps and bumps to show! Thanks for the inspiration...I'll let you know how it comes out.

    Yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely! I particularly like how you've laid out the border print to mimic the shape of the neckline at your left hip.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now this version I really LOVE. Definitely worth the care you took to analyse what you didn't like about the first one and put it right for the second version. I think that the fit and fabric of this dress is going to make it very easy to wear and it certainly looks very polished and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazingly pretty! I love your dresses and the fact that you share your creations with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, you've done well with this one! I'm glad you used the border print, because it works so well with the pattern. The weight of the fabric plus your little extra ease make that dress hang like it was custom draped for you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the dress! It is very flattering! I love how it looks on you and the fact that you look comfortable, happy and relaxed wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this dress!! You're so amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. No joke, this is my favorite dress you've made yet. The way the fabric drapes and where the pattern hits you is seriously the most flattering I've ever seen. I hope you feel as fabulous as you look!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love it. I'm another one that is only comfortable when things have enough ease to skim.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely dress! You make the best border print dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great dress, great fabric! Great work, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the way the skirt hangs on this. I think you made the right decision to forgoe sleeves.

    This will be great in the fall (perhaps a bit shorter so that you can wear it with boots?).

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful!! It's your style, figure flattering and colorific! I love it when a plan comes together and every plan is subject to personal interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I like the way you followed your experience and matched a knit to this pattern that suits you personally. It's a great lesson in studying fabric and determining whether it will work on one's body.

    This dress is really beautiful, and so professional-looking. I suspect you've added yet another pattern to your stable of TNTs. Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oooh, I like this version. And it makes me realize how there really is no substitute for experience when it comes to sewing. All of your instincts really paid off with this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  41. this one just might be my favorite dress so far.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh good it looks Google/Blogger will let me comment today. You have made the CJ dress all yours, as I knew you would. It looks great in the heavier knit with a bit more ease. The asymmetric neckline is a neat detail. And the fabric was a border print, a wide one at that. I like the way you used the border for the bottom half of the dress. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You look fabulous in the dress. This version is simply gorgeous.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have been reading your blog for several months now and I felt compeled to tell you that this dress is absolutely stunning on you....well done

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow this one is a keeper. You look fab in it. I usually shy away from knits, but I have gotten some great tips from your last few posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, that dress looks amazing on you. Perfect fabric & treatment. Splendid!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails