"Somehow I couldn't picture a CJ pattern and fabric combo working for you. But I think the style of the dress is interesting and very flattering."
You know I use to feel the same way. It's one of the reasons why I hadn't used her patterns before. Purchased them ~ yes. Admired them on others ~ most definitely. But figuring out if they would work for me ~ didn't think so especially since most of them are designed to work with knits...and you know how iffy I am about knits.
So it is amazing to me that of the last 6 dresses I've made 5 have been constructed using a knit fabric...
Anyway, here is the next version of the CJ Princess Seam Dress.
There are a couple of changes.
1. I altered all of the pieces by adding a 1/4 inch to each side seam. Even though many thought the original dress flattering on me, I didn't. I don't like close fitting garments. I'm happier when a garment gives the illusion of fitting closely but actually skims my body. Probably why I like those 1960s silhouettes so much!
2. I traced additional pieces for the back and side so that all of the pieces would lay singly on top of the fabric. I wanted to insure that the border print matched all the way around the dress.
3. I lined the dress. Boy did that give the dress some heft and you can't see one bump or lump now.
4. Even though I followed Christine's directions exactly at the neckline, my lining was still rolling slightly to the front. So I added another line of stitching to hold it flat. I'm sure its something I did rather than there's a problem with her instructions...especially since the directions gives you a heads up about the challenge and how to resolve it.
5. I cut sleeves for the dress but after trying it on decided that I would just make it sleeveless. I have more than enough cardigans to wear with it.
6. Instead of a serged hem, I added three inches to this version and the dress has a one inch hem sewn down using a twin needle.
Even though I've fabric pulled to make another one...I'm going to give this pattern a rest for a minute. I need to let this pattern marninate before tackling it again. Plus I have sooooo many things I want to make that I think I will revisit this pattern again for early fall sewing. It would be great with 3/4 sleeves, a sleeveless turtleneck and tights.
I used a polyester knit from the $2.97 table at GStreet Fabrics. It's slightly heavier than the original rayon/lycra knit but still has the drape necessary to create that beautiful fall at the hemline.
It is lined with tricot lining from fabric.com which I've used in several of my knit dresses.
A few additional shots:
hands on hips pose
with a cardigan
I really do like this dress...even more now that I've done hair and make-up and had my handy photographer take pictures! *LOL* I'm also thankful to Christine for trusting me to review her pattern and fabrics. I hope that I've done them justice and that I've encouraged someone to try out her line, as well as, her fabrics. I'm thinking about taking your advice and making a top from the first version...so we'll see. I would hate to have that beautiful fabric just laying around my apt!
However, I now have a quandry about what to wear tomorrow! Now that the restrictions are "gone" I feel like I have an abundance of choices...
...as always, more later!