Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pictures of Butterick 5618

I know I should wait until someone comes home to take these pictures before I post but seriously all I really want to do is sew.  Because of that sometimes the blog post is written way before a photographer shows up...and all of that to say here are the pics of me in the tank dress (okay Rachelle!)

Hands on the hip shot


With the cardigan

Alone

Now this next shot is to answer Julie's question:
"Carolyn, I'm curious about the armhole fit of this dress. No alterations needed? Whenever I make a sleeveless dress, I get the gaping armhole because of sewing the size to fit my bust and then having an armhole too large."


I'm sure there is some alteration that you should do to the pattern to reduce the armhole prior to cutting out the fabric and sewing the dress together BUT I've been doing this "cheat" for so long that it's become second nature to me and I never even think to put it in the alterations section when I'm writing a post.


What I do is sew a deeper side seam of about an inch from the 5/8" seam allowance.  This deeper seam helps to snug the dress up to the body thereby eliminating the gap that many people experience with sleeveless dresses.

Even with adding the border to the bottom of this dress it only comes to my knees so since I won't be wearing this to work, I'm okay with it...plus the daughter who judges my wardrobe the harshest really liked the color and the length...I must be doing something right!  *LOL*

...as always, more later!

16 comments:

  1. I'll try your alteration, it is so much easier than the full bust alteration that is recommended everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often do the same thing. It doesn't really substitute for an FBA, but can make a difference if you have just a little bit of gape.

    Cute dress! I love lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great summer-play dress. Your productivity is making my head spin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the photos. The dress does look cute and summery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is very cute and summery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to say, I love reading your blog. Look forward to your daily posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful summery dress, perfect for casual wear without being too casual - ideal for dressing up or down. The colour is very pretty and I really like how the binding and border fabric gives it a nice finished look as well as adding to the summery effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great weekend casual outfit. Simple and chic, but not super casual like I see around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! - especially with the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great in this - so wonderful for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's cute, and really, you do have to have thingds to wear when you are not working!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful summer dress! Love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty summer dress! I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really like this dress, I know I neglect some of my everyday clothes and am inspired by you to do more. This is such a pretty and wearable dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails