Sunday, July 03, 2011

Butterick 3195 - Finished

I really wanted a dress in this style - a straight, comfortable dress with an interesting neckline, sleeveless in a pretty print.  I think I achieved what I was trying to do:


Some stats:

Pattern:
Out of Print Vogue 3195 bias dress with cowl neckline that I cut on the straight grain

Fabric:
Ltwt. silk crepe from Sawyer Brook (that is currently on sale for $12.99 per yd)

Notions:
9" black invisible zipper
scraps of ltwt fusible interfacing from Farmhouse Fabrics

Construction:
The construction was pretty straightforward for the dress.  Sew the invisible zipper in the back...here the pattern suggests a 20" zipper but I didn't like the way it fell in the wadder so I used a shorter one for this version.  I also used very ltwt. fusible strips from an interfacing that I got from Farmhouse Fabrics (called baby interfacing) to stabilize the area where the zipper was inserted.

Then instead of using the back facing pieces that came with the pattern, I used self made bias binding to finish off the back neckline. To sew the back to the front at the shoulder seams, I stole the instructions from Vogue 1250 and sewed the shoulder seams that way, making sure to catch the edges of the cowl facing. 


Sewed up the side seams and used more of the bias binding to finish off the armhole edges.  I did have to stop and make a little more binding at this point...but it was worth it.

The dress is unlined.  It's light and airy and I will wear it with a half slip making it a perfect summer dress.  This is how I will wear it to work this week:

So there were a couple of questions from the last post about this dress:

ASewnWardrobe asked:
"If I did ALL of that last Sunday evening?"
*LOL*  No, all of the prep work and the wadder was sewn weeks ago.  I just got around to cutting out and sewing the base of the dress last Sunday evening.  I'm NOT that fast!

Renee asked:
"Why was the bias cut so bad?"
It was the cling factor that made the dress unworthy of leaving the house. There was enough fabric in the dress, it's just the way the dress hung on my body...not pretty...not pretty at all!

As for the drapiness of the neckline, I'm sure if the piece had been cut on the bias it would have had more drape.  However, I'm happy with the way the neckline falls now.  It's an interesting look that I don't presently have in a dress made from a woven fabric.

Finally Elmo asked:
"Is there any Issey Miyake patterns in the new Vogue Patterns Magazine?"
No...there aren't any.

So I've finished another project...will share that one with you tomorrow, but I'm headed back to my sewing machine.  I saw this dress on a PYT at Chipolte last week that I MUST copy!

...as always, more later!

14 comments:

  1. Love it! I never cease to be amazed at how you can dive right into looks that flatter you. The draped neckline is very classy. Your choice of fabrics is always right on too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This version is fantastic! The print is great and I love the drape around the neck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is awesome. I love it. I recently bought the knit version pattern to try. g

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad this version worked out. It looks great! Especially with the white cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every dress you make can be worn at least two ways. That's a great way to expand your wardrobe. I'm going to try to do that with my garments. Once again, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! Glad you were able to get the look you wanted. Happy 4th of July

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, gorgeous....your smile says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That fabric is just lovely on you and the dress is flattering, no surprise there as you have such a clear vision of what looks good on you.

    Unrelated question for you: I bought some of that linen knit and I wonder if you've pre-treated it yet? It says to dry clean, but I don't want to go down that road. What are you planning to do? Thanks, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! It looks great on you and definitely has that light springtime feel.

    Just out of curiosity, what do you do with your wadders? Do you save them for another project, give them to someone else to reuse, or throw them in the trash?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your dress, Carolyn. It looks great on you. I have to check out that Sawyer Brooks fabric. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes such a fresh and pretty outfit - I love that fabulous flower print. The style is elegant, and very flattering. I smiled at your last paragraph about seeing a dress that you must copy - I think it's wonderful how you can so cleverly see a dress that you love and make your very own version for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job ... you are so inspiring! I took a sewing class years ago and love it, but some folks(Like you) have the sewing talent gift :) Keep sewing..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely dress--the print works perfectly with the style.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails