Thursday, July 26, 2012

Valentino Panel Tried 'n True Dress

While I was working on this dress, using such fine fabrics, I truly felt like I was sitting at the grown-ups sewing table.  Honestly!  See I use nice materials and I make pretty garments.  But the fabrics used in this dress, from the Valentino panel to the china silk lining are all top notch pieces.  Using them just makes me feel like I've arrived! *LOL* 

You want to see pictures of the finished dress right?  So here you go:




Stats ~
Fabric:
Valentino Silk Panel
Black Silk Satin



Photo Courtesy of Mood Sewciety Blog

Notions:
22" invisible zipper
China silk lining
Rayon seam binding
1" black lace
Farmhouse Fabrics Fusible Knit Interfacing

Sewing Machine Set-Up ~
**I used the straight stitch foot for my sewing machine.  
**The stitch length was set at 2.7
**Gutterman black thread


Construction ~
In my last post I described how I handled turning the panel into the dress front. The back of the dress and the sleeves were cut from the black silk satin which is a little heavier than the lightweight & airy Valentino panel used for the front. So I added some stay tape at the shoulder seams to assist with stabilizing the dress front and the back of the dress. After all of the work in this dress, I didn't want the shoulder seams to pull apart from strain.

The invisible zipper went in the back perfectly and then the lining was added.  For the sleeves, I cut off a 2.5" band of the black fabric at the hemline.  Then I added the 2.5" wide rose print band.  I left the band unhemmed until I could decide how wide I wanted the rose band to be.



Making Your Own Version ~
My dress is made from my TNT pattern.  If you'd like to make a similar type dress, I would recommend Vogue 8786...




I actually thought of using this pattern with the panel but didn't think I had enough of the rose portion of the panel for the front yoke.  Mood has a couple of interesting border prints, as well as an assortment of panel prints on their site that could be used to make your own version of my dress.

Conclusion ~
This dress is very light and airy.  It is amazing because the fabrics feel so wonderful against my body.  I'm thrilled that I was able to turn the Valentino panel into the vision I saw...the entire sewing journey was a joy especially since I ended up with a great new dress.

...and a few more pictures of me in the dress...


Dress back showing solid back and floral band on sleeves

Front neckline and side sleeve showing floral bands

Side view

Another view of the front

My daughter really loved how I used the print and I really hope that I did it justice.  I can't wait to wear it to work!  Finally, a parting shot...my daughter makes me laugh so hard when she's taking these pictures and then she continues to snap pictures while I'm cracking up...



...as always more later!







67 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!! Love the way you used the panel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. I really like the way you've used the panel and the addition of the rose print is inspired. I am so envious of your creativity and imagination. You make me want to step up a notch or ten in my own sewing! Now you've got me thinking about what I can make this weekend ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Carolyn! I love how you used the panel and the fabric combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathtakingly beautiful, Carolyn. What a lovely combination of special fabrics and your great desing and sewing skills. You're one of the people who got me to make some dresses for my wardrobe and this dress will inspire so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! Great job, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is only one word to describe how you look in this dress: GORGEOUS! The dress is so classy and stylish. It is truly wonderful that you enjoyed working with these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you used those different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! You always make such wonderful things but this one is really something special. Brava!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that is a lovely dress. The combination of differing fabrics is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dress - tres chic

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful dress, Carolyn! I especially love the graphic print of the panel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so elegant! That printed silk is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, Caroline! Love the fabric mix and all the soft shades with the black. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always look so lovely. This is a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one beautiful dress and you look gorgeous in it....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful dress and I love the mix of fabrics..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Firstly the dress is amazing. You really know how to put a look together, shoes and all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful dress and inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Once again you have made a very beautiful dress. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You should feel every bit like the "grown up sewer" (smile). Not surprising that this dress turned out so lovely. All your others usually do too (wink)! Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You should have no doubts about having "arrived"!!! Wow...it's gorgeous! I don't know how you ever picked the fabric for the bands...I never would have thought it would go together, but that floral print is ever so perfect, like a very expensive designers touch!!! ALL your dresses are beautiful, but this one is the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. High class all of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! Excellent design decisions. You continue to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! I want one. I wish I had your creativity. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  25. yet another lovely creation.
    BTW have you seen pattern 143 in the august burda - saw it and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That panel is *amazing*! You did an awesome job. What a great dress to have in the closet, that you can pull out any time you need to look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely gorgeous Carolyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks gorgeous and I bet in those luxe fabrics it feels gorgeous to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Carolyn, this is such a great looking dress! Lovely use of the panel fabric. I thought and still think that the panel fabric is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! The combination of fabrics and their placement is just wonderful! This looks like a very, very expensive dress that you'd find in a high end boutique. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful Carolyn! Enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The dress is beautiful on. I wasn't feeling the love when you showed it on the hanger. Daughters are great huh

    ReplyDelete
  34. So gorgeous!! "grown up sewing table" ... hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The dress is wonderful and you look fabulous and happy wearing it. Nice make. g

    ReplyDelete
  36. The rose fabric was an inspired touch. You are going to feel like a queen wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. ok,thats my favorite dress so far- of course, I did think taht last time, too! I want to shop with you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Stunning, Carolyn! I'd be a wreck working with Valentino silk. You handled it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow you are right, this one is in a totally different league and as a sewer I think you are too. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Man... that print. That fabric is really saying something, isn't it? Beautiful C. I love how you used the border to trim it out. Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous! I love the way you had vision to use the print this way. Fab ;) K

    ReplyDelete
  42. just beee-yoo-tiful! i love that you kept the valentino to the front panel, can you imagine the nervous wreck you'd be sitting down anywhere if not?!

    really, the way you placed those panels, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I so agree with Kuby on the one word to describe this dress and you in it...GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my gosh, that fabric is utterly beautiful! and the simple style of your tried and true pattern shows it off to perfection. This dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love! Such a stylish and beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  46. A real beauty Carolyn!A very inspiring piece!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Absolutely stunning! you look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Stunning dress. That panel is fabulous. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow, Carolyn! This is one stunning dress! Interesting that you used the panel on the horizontal rather than the vertical. Was that why you fused it? I bet you feel like a million bucks in it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I would have been terrified to cut into that gorgeous fabric so it was a good move to use it in one of your TNT patterns that you know works for you. It is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Carolyn. Your dress with the silk panel is simply stunning! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Gorgeous dress, Carolyn. It's nice to get a candid photo every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Absolutely gorgeous dress, You really used that wonderful panel to full advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a wonderful, wonderful use of that panel fabric! I'm pinning this for future inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  55. AMAZING use of that fabulous fabric, Carolyn! I love the solid black back, too. It's just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Carolyn, this dress is truly special. I love how beautifully you have fitted it and the way you've used the different prints. Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Beyond fabulous. If only we could all be so stylish the world would really be a much more beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  58. So I was on the interwebs looking for inspiration for fabulous silk panel fabric I bought and discovered this post. It is FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC! your whole blog is creative and skillful and everything looks so wonderful. Thanks for sharing your sewing fanaticism with the world - you have inspired me

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails