Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I'm in the Mood for Basics!

Sewing basic pieces is just not the WOW! sewing that we sewists love to admire. But if we're honest, basics are the backbone of a good wardrobe and they give you the opportunity to get dressed every morning without having to stand in front of the closet going, "I have nuthin' to wear!"  That's what a closet full of WOWdoes.  It gives you a closet full of awesome pieces that don't play well with together.

So we've reached the boring part of the wardrobe plan because I'm sewing the Simplicity 5914 skirt and a lined version of my TNT pants.  Boring, boring, boring but so necessary because without them what would coordinate with my snazzy new cardigan...or the military jacket...or the other toppers that I've planned.  

I'm starting this set of basics with the muddy chocolate brown wool crepe that I bought with my Mood allowance last month.  Well actually I bought 10 yards - so some on the Mood allowance and some on my own because I think all of the pieces should be made from the same cut.  That way you have no matching or coordination issues.

Once again I'm using tried and true patterns.  So can I stand on my sewing soapbox one more time and encourage you to develop a set of TNT patterns.  You know a basic skirt, pants, top, jacket and dress pattern to start and then add to your repertoire as needed.

This will be my fifth version of Simplicity 5914 and all but one of these currently resides in my closet...still being worn.  Another sign of a good TNT pattern...not only can it be made over and over again but it stands the test of time.  I've been using this pattern since 2006.  Okay enough stalling...here are items two and three in The City in Winter Collection...


Burda Cardigan 8869 & Simplicity 5914 Skirt

RTW turtleneck & Simplicity 5914 skirt

Stats:
Fabric ~
Wool crepe from Mood Fabrics - purchased in the NYC store but you can find some on the website, here.

Notions ~ 
9" brown invisible zipper
black lining from the collection
1" black lace
brown rayon seam tape

Construction ~
I haven't made this skirt since 2009 and of course the last time I did I'm sure I made it differently.  One of the things I did last time was that I taped the waistline using twill tape.  This time I used a 5/8" piece of lightweight fusible interfacing at the waistline to stabilize it.  I really wanted a way to firm up the waistline without changing the hand of the fabric.  I don't know if I've read about this somewhere or just came about it organically from working with the pattern. Honestly, I will only know how it works after wearing it all day so expect a wearability report sooner or later.

I also added a row of edge stitching to the right side of the skirt.  I wanted to keep all the pieces flat and secure.


Scarf, RTW turtleneck & TNT lined pants

Burda 8869 cardigan, scarf & TNT lined pants


TNT Pants ~
The pants have no new construction techniques.  Although earlier renditions of these lined pants have been made with an underlining, for this pair I used a traditional lining.  Lately I've moved away from wearing a lot of pants in the fall/winter because I'm just more comfortable in a dress or skirt.  However, there are times when I need to wear them due to climate or what's going on at work.  So I like to have them as part of a wardrobe so that the coordinating cardigans and jackets work with them.

Stats:
Fabric ~
Wool crepe from Mood Fabrics

Notions ~
brown rayon seam tape
soft & easy stretch elastic
black lining from the collection

A few more pics...


Hanger shot of TNT pants & Simplicity 5914 skirt

Instragramming

Pants & RTW turtleneck

Cardigan & Pants - front view

Back view of cardigan and pants

This is piece two and three in the wardrobe.  I'm currently working on the fourth piece and of course there will be additional posts about it.  I'm feeling good about the process I'm making on the wardrobe since I have a couple key pieces made now that the weather is starting to cool down.  Can't believe that I'm ahead of the game here! *LOL*

...as always more later!





42 comments:

  1. Great new wardrobe. It's really well thought out and works so well.
    You're always ahead of the game in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, really flattering, Carolyn! I agree, one needs basics and this is a great wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the direction your new wardrobe is heading. The pants are a great fit, but I have to say I really love your TNT skirt! It looks so polished but also versatile in the brown.

    I was trying to develop a bunch of TNT patterns this year, but I think for the most part I am still looking. Well, that or I have commitment issues? Or I just have too many patterns I want to try out. Really though, I think I just haven't quite found my TNTs yet. In any case, I hope that I can eventually have a great set of TNT patterns like you do because after my recent pattern failure that I have given up on after 4 muslin attempts, the thought of being able to whip out a pattern and go to town is really appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good, as usual! You may not wear pants often, but you certainly are set when you need to. Love that cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you that its the basics that are the backbone of your wardrobe, and I have recently taken a leaf out of your book with the inclusion of my twinsets which are great for work or casual and keep getting worn time and time again.

    I love your collection, it works so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a sewing inspiration all the way over to Germany! all of your sewing looks great and of fantastic quality. congratulations!


    cheryl Sw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pants are flattering! Which is the holy grail of sewing for me, lol.
    You are right you know, great basics make a wardrobe. I am trying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is great to be able to grab those co-ordinating basics when you are getting ready for work. I know I get taken in by all the print fabrics but the plains are wardrobe main stays. You are so dilligent following your plans. I hope to make up a small capsule wardrobe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Basics are boring but so necessary! Like your cardi more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need basics and I just keep sewing frivolous things. You have me inspired now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have just lifted the goal-line of basics up high - love how it is all coming together...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just what I need more of, basics. Looking good. Just pointing out, in paragraph 2 and 5 you have the right numbers but in the wrong order for your skirt (5194 is a shirt) instead of 5914.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so good. Inspiring us all to sew wardrobes, not just garments that don't coordinate. And this is not the first time you've been inspiring.
    Thanks again
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking outfits, Carolyn! So in real life--is the brown more muddy or chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful basics - in my favourite colour - brown! You're so right - basics are so important in a wardrobe, but definitely not the most "fun" thing to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Basics are a necessity of life. And you sure did add some great autumn pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such a great skirt. I need to purchase another version of the pattern as I actually cut my tissue! Something I so rarely do. Anyway - Love the new pieces of the collection and how they work with the cardigan. g

    ps - and the animal print shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the colors in this set, nice look all around. I find this kind of sewing super exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice wardrobe pieces. I am use you will get lots of use out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, you are wearing my favorite colors. This wardrobe is so versatile and flattering...and perfect for this cool spell.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great wardrobe! And that's a lovely deck/yard too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for being so generous with your time and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those may be basics (and I so agree, basics are a necessity), but that wardrobe as a whole definitely has a WOW factor for me!

    Love love LOVE that cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE these pieces! I need a plan! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've whipped up some stunning fall basic combos. They all fit right in with the fall palate in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good start! Love the cardigan and skirt and the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree- basics are a necessity. I am just beginning to try brown for basics, having spent most of my working life in navy, gray and black.
    Have you ever made a scarf from your fabric stash? You have so many beautiful prints. I ask because this is the first time I have noticed you wearing a scarf. I have been trying them to tie my basics together.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great pieces. I've always loved your TNT skirt. Have you altered/modified where the flair of the skirt hem begins? Nice fit for your slacks. And the cardigan - so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are gorgeous additions to your wardrobe! I definitely need to add lots of basics to my closet as I have only a few items in a huge closet that I tend to wear over and over every week.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This wardrobe is turning out quite fabulously. And, your ability to crank out well sewn garments that work together so well is inspiring! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am terrible at making basics, but you are right that they really are needed to pull a wardrobe together. I guess this is where TNT patterns that can be whizzed up on autopilot really come into their own!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the cardigan and pants on you, smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful basics, and Carolyn, you sure make them fun! I'm in love with the fabric for the cardigan and that cardigan is a showstopper! Thank you again for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like that colour! Sort of grey/beige/brown? Looks fab with the cardi. Wardrobe coming along great.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your sewing always amazes and inspires me. Basics are necessary, but I don't think they're boring. You make them rock!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Carolyn, you put the WOW into basics with this collection! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Those are lovely!

    I've just started settling into my TNT skirt pattern. I love knowing that I have something that will always come out fitting perfectly and looking great.

    Someday soon I hope to find a TNT shirt... I do (finally) have a sloper that looks great, but is a bit formal for day-to-day wear (as a housewife, anyway).

    You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I adore your new sweater. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. And the other items too! I'm a cardi girl, what can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great pieces, and also - can I say - your shoes - so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow Carolyn! I love these pieces - separately and together. That skirt is so flattering and so feminine. I think I must have one for me too ... if I ever dust off those darn sewing machines! Love that cardigan and am now going to read back to find the details!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love the cardigan, the print is fab, and the pants fit great, the width is perfect. But, what I really want to know is where did you get those shoes!!! Are they spotted leopard?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails