Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Vogue 1250 as a top

I love Vogue 1250 as a dress.  It's comfortable and easy to wear.  It sews up quickly and can be made out of several different types of knits...I know because I've made it in everything from a ponte knit to a silk jersey.  So for awhile now I've been thinking of altering this pattern and using it as a top.

You would think that I would be concerned about the drapey neckline in a fall top but I've decided to add a camisole beneath it ~ layers are always great in the fall. I've also found that lately it has to be extremely cold for me to wear something close-fitting at my neckline...especially now that my internal thermometer is doing it's own thing!



So when I found this rayon knit and realized that the print would work with both the brown (already completed) and the gray (yet to be sewn) pieces for the CIW wardrobe, I leapt at the chance to make V1250 as a top.



I made new pattern pieces for the top.  I added a hemline 9" from the waistline curve on the front piece, then traced the top of the dress piece out.  I placed the back top and skirt piece together, then traced the back as one piece straightening out the curved hemline.

Otherwise the top was constructed the same way that I made the dress.  There is a center back seam.  I used the same stitch witchery tip for the back neckline as I did with the last two dresses I made from this pattern.


Front view with lace camisole

Close up of the neckline

Back view

Twin needled hemline

I topstitched the armhole seams and used a twin needle on the hemline.  It was a quick sew but it will be a great top beneath the planned jackets and my solid color RTW cardigans.  

So one more garment is completed in the CIW collection...which makes that six garments done.  Next up is a cardigan from B5760.  It will be a second cardigan in the collection but since I like a cardigan so much more than a jacket, I figured two wouldn't hurt!

...as always more later!

29 comments:

  1. Great idea and equally great fabric! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about doing this as well! Great top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this one Carolyn, I haven't made this pattern up yet, maybe I will get to it before Christmas.

    Iam watching the news in London and hoping that you and your family are OK. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! Are you sewing in the middle of a hurricane?
    It looks good, lovely fabric and a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn I hope you are safe and sound during the Hurricane and that the clean up isn't too bad for you. I have goosebumps watching the coverage from here in Perth Western Australia, it looks devastating.
    Oh, on a different note I told my 12 year old daughter, who loves Project Runway, that you get some of your fabric from Mood and she wants to know if you have seen the dog when you visit????

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is a great idea, I can see myself making a few of these

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely top and drape neck tops make great layering pieces. Hope all is well in your next of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great looking top!

    How did you make out with the storm?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful and from what I hear easy to sew dress but for what ever reason I can't figure out how to put it together. Glad you are safe during this storm.


    Sewjourner

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to know you are safe and got some sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant idea and a fabulous top. I need a dozen of these in my wardrobe! Glad to see that you're weathering the storm so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great top! I've cone the same, in reverse, making a dress pattern as a top first. I like how you've made so many patterns you own. And I love the print, I've seen it in a rayon woven at Sawyer Brook, with a different coloration of acid green, teal and cinnamon- it's really lovely in this knit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beatiful, you can never have too many blouse in your wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful top. You've made good use V1250. I'm waiting to hear how you managed through Super Storm Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea. Love that top.
    Sending prayers for you and your family.. Have been watching on tv..Hope your ok.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for you and your family. Hope all is okay with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying for you and your family. Hope all is okay with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely top Carolyn and I too hope you are safe and will not have too much cleanup to do after this devastating
    storm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this pattern, but was unsure of it in a dress. Now I can just do a shirt! Thanks for sharing this idea with us all. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great as a dress but even more wonderful as a top because it is so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the idea for the top and the fabric is perfect.

    Thinking of you and hoping that you and all your loved ones are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are you safe and dry? Love the top, I may follow your lead and do the same. I love my V1250, and I have only made one so far,

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was eyeing that same fabric. It looks great with cami underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous fabric- so perfect for your winter plan!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope all is well for you. My daughter lives in Nth Bergen and (god bless her) dealt with 10 double flights of stairs, floods and goodness knows what else to get a message to me that she was OK. She did tell me a little about the conditions in NJ though so I can imagine its not good.
    My thought and prayers are with you all (from here in the UK).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, you've gotten some great use out that pattern. It's super cute as a top too. Love the fabric:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really pretty! Love that you're managing to make so many pieces that go together-- outstanding!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails