Monday, November 26, 2012

To pocket or not to pocket...

...that was the question.  The original dress, the one that inspired my version definitely had pockets on the front.  However, I'm really NOT a pocket girl.  And while I did ponder on this and worked out two different types of pockets for the dress front, I ultimately decided that since I'm not a pocket girl there was no reason to include them.


So the dress is a basic Butterick 5147 dress made from a brown/orange tweed recently purchased.  It works with the orange turtleneck pictured above or the orange cardigan pictured below.


Some stats:
Fabric ~
Brown & Orange Rayon/Wool Tweed

Notions ~
22" brown invisible zipper
2 yards brown rayon hem tape
2 yards aubergine rayon lining
1 yard brown bias tape

I have no new construction techniques to add.  No alterations were made to the pattern.  This was a cut and sew garment ~ you know the kind that I like from a TNT pattern.  I do have one or two more versions dreamed up in the back of my mind which have slight pattern alterations that I would like to make for fall/winter.  They may show up before the season changes, they may not.


This was the first completed garment from the Thanksgiving Weekend Sew-a-thon.  A few more pics of the dress in action...



...as always more later!

24 comments:

  1. I like your tweed dress and the orange is a perfect accent color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - you look fantastic! Orange and brown are a favourite combination of mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful dress. It looks great with the orange. I'm not much of a pocket girl either - did you hear the gasps as people read that? g

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty !! Lovely on you and perfect with the orange. You really got a ton done this weekend! So awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this dress. Sometimes simple is best. The fabric looks so luxe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect dress to show off a great fabric. No pockets needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant colours. Personally I love pockets but if you don't like them, why go to the bother?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a colour that doesn't look stunning on you? You look gorgoeus in this outfit and I am totally in love with both pairs of shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very autumnal! I like it best styled with the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very versatile dress. Like the brown and orange together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such warm rich colors. You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I think you look very elegant with the dress by itself (no turtleneck).

    ReplyDelete
  13. perfect color pairing! i agree with julia, i love all the looks but my fave is you rocking it with just the necklace. it hangs beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it the outfilt. My favorite fall colors, and they look beautiful on you. Work it Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No pockets means a fabulous handbag! You are lovely in autumnal colours - Favourite season?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, these fall colors look beautiful together! I especially like the dress with the cardigan-- the extra pop of orange is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great colors on you, Caroline. Very flattering dress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such warm and cosy colours! Perfect for your fall. Lovely styling as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It really "dresses up" nice without the turtleneck! I really like the versatility of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this color combination on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooo! Can I have one? Two of my very favourite colours in the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are lovely colors! Love the shoes you paired it with as well. I love it with the turtleneck, the cardigan, and alone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails