Two things came out of the water in the basement. One, I rearranged the items in the sewing workroom, to give me more space and make the room appear cleaner and brighter.
Two, I realize that I've reached my fabric limit. I've stuffed as much fabric into the shelves and the cabinet as possible. I refuse to lay it on top of things again or to have so many bins in the room that I'm unable to move without rearranging things. I'm seriously disturbed that with a sewing workroom packed to the gills with fabric that I still have four full bins of fabric in the garage...because that's fabric I'm unable to see and touch which was never my intent.
So, I need to do something drastic. Very drastic for me. I really don't want to purchase any more fabric (except for my Mood project fabric) for the next five months or until the end of the year. I can't think of a type of fabric that I don't own. I can't think of a color that's not well represented in my collection. Prints, plaids, florals, paisleys, abstract prints, yeah I have that. Herringbones - large & small in various colors...yeah I've got some too. It's time to stop acquiring...seriously time to stop.
I'm making a public declaration so that there is someone to hold me accountable to my pledge. I just want the next five months to be fabric free. Five months of no new fabric purchases. Five months of sewing from the collection (well all except my Mood projects). Believe me, five months won't make a difference in my collection. It will be like a drop in the bucket BUT there won't be anything new coming in to add to the chaos.
I know some of you are out there shaking your heads, laughing even, seriously doubting my ability to do this because I AM A FABRICAHOLIC. You know that I love fabric. I love owning it. I love the possibilities of it. I love acquiring it. However, I'm taking this a step further because I'm co-opting all of you to help me. Not only am I NOT purchasing any new fabric for the next five months, but I'm giving away FOUR pieces to ONE lucky winner every month for the next five months. For this giveaway, I'm opening this up to everyone, no matter where you're located in the world.
This is how it will work...
- You must leave a comment on this post and this post alone.
- Everyone's name will be entered into a jar (sort of like Karen's).
- Around the 15th of every month, I will pull one name.
- You will have three days to contact me with your name, home address and email addy.
- I will ship four pieces (by the cheapest method possible if it's an overseas winner) that I pull from my collection.
- I will forward a picture of the pieces of fabric to you via email. Please confirm when you receive the email.
- If you have a blog, would you kindly post the fabric's arrival on your blog.
- Once you've won fabric, of course your name will be removed from the jar for good.
- Finally, the comments section on this post will remain open for one week - until July 31st at 11:59pm EST. I will lock it down then and I will transfer all of the names to my "Fabric Giveaway Jar".
That's it. So not only will I NOT add to the fabric collection, but I will also give dozens of yards away. Hopefully that will gain me some space on my very full fabric shelves which is my ultimate goal.
Okay, so are you in? Will you help me to stay on my fabric diet until the end of the year? If so, leave a comment and tell me what is your favorite fabric to work with...and if you win...maybe it will be included in the gift parcel sent to you.
...as always more later!