Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Pleather Cardigan and Herringbone Skirt

Let's recap...

I'm on Mood's Instagram account and I see this fabric...


from Mood's Instagram account

...Mood calls it black vinyl...me I call it kewl, unbelievably kewl lacey pleather. I bought 1/2 yard from the NYC store.  I thought that I would use it for a peplum on a jacket but then I got another idea. See I had some black ponte from Mood that I'd been hoarding. Yeah I'll admit it, I have ponte issues, okay?! And when I put the two pieces together ~ the earth moved.  Seriously registered on the Richter Scale...didn't you feel it?



Then I added my TNT jacket pattern to it ~ Butterick 6002. 


I've made this jacket successfully two times before ~ here and here. All of the trials and tribulations for constructing this particular jacket are in this post.

The jacket over my cranberry Michael Kors interpretation dress...



I have to tell you that I'm in awe of how amazing this little jacket looks...over everything. It is so dayum cool, I am beside myself. Yeah it's a little edgy for my corporate day job but so what!  I won't wear it on days that we have very corporate meetings.  I'll wear it on the days that I need to feel corporate-ish yet stylish...and I do meet friends for movies and dinner dates...it would be great then too!

Here it is with two of fall's trends together...


Pleather Jacket and a Black & White Herringbone Skirt

A little info about the skirt...
This version was definitely influenced by the Pinstripe Skirt from last week's Throwback Thursday post.  Originally I was going to make a straight skirt with the black & white herringbone but when I laid the fabric on the table all I could see was the chevron pattern above.  So I knew it needed to become the four gore skirt ~ cut on the bias.

Fabric...
2 yards of a black & white wool herringbone purchased from Mood last year and originally used in this Erdem dress.

Notions...
1" non-roll elastic
black bemberg lining
black rayon seam tape

Construction Information...
I emulated all of the sewing techniques that I highlighted in the Throwback Thursday post, except I did not fold the rayon seam tape in half before stitching it to the skirt.

There are quite a few of these skirts in my wardrobe.  It's comfortable to wear and just works for my lifestyle.

A few more pics of the outfit...





Please note that I'm wearing tights and suede booties with this outfit...indoors...cause I was so hot that I was melting in the house in the air conditioning!  There was no way I was going outside to take photos!!!



Yes, I've used this pattern before.  Yes, I'm using pleather again but it's so hot for fall.  It's everywhere ~ dresses, jackets, shoes & handbags.  I can promise that you'll see more pleather accents on my garments for fall/winter. I've got at least three more items on my sewing list that I'd like to sew.  I'd just like to encourage you to use some (a little or a lot) for one of your own fall garments!  If you've never sewn pleather, come on over to the dark side (dark side get it! hahaha!) and try it out.

Parting Shot ~
I bought these wedge booties and love them!  Just bought another pair in gray...




...as always more later!




47 comments:

  1. You rock.... Love your jacket and the skirt. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing!!! It does work with everything, but that last outfit is my favorite! Totally on trend but still totally your style!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn that jacket looks Absolutely Fabulous in combination with your other clothing... I was (foolishly) just slightly dubious when you first made it up, but obviously you have both the designer eye and the chops to back it up... I particularly like the pleather jacket with the cranberry and lace dress, together they are so much more than the sum of their parts! You are, as always, an amazing inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness I love the houndstooth skirt! I'm glad you went with the bias cut, adds a nice twist to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jacket is quite wonderful, especially over the cranberry dress (which I seriously envy :) .. Great skirt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great jacket - love all of the combinations. Looks very trendy with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That jacket is TDF!! Simply
    sensational, and it looks SO darn
    fabulous with that gorgeous skirt.
    You look awesome in that ensemble!
    That is truly an elemental wardrobe
    addition that'll probably be worn
    over and over. Really classy...great choice!

    ~Joy~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, love the jacket with the cranberry dress. The houndstooth skirt combo is more corporate, but the dress and jacket really pop. It suits your personality and style (imo).

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. This is one of my favorite things you have EVER made. If I saw any laser-cut pleather I would jump on it faster than the Flash. It really looks so good over your red dress with the lace.

    I LOVE this look!!!!!

    I covet this look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabric like this just deserves to live with you - love how you used the fabric to its full merits with this jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the jacket. It looks great on you...and terrific with the black and white skirt. You did it again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the look. You look very "a mode" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning workhorse of a jacket. I can see this getting miles of wear. Great styling, Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep... I am loving this jacket. Such seriously awesome fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I felt the earth tremor when I saw your jacket!!! Wearing it with the red dress-priceless. That is a great jacket and it will go with a lot of garments. Looks great with the herringbone skirt. Love the booties also!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That pleather and herringbone outfit is amazing!!!! Way cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sigh. I'm in love. :-)

    That jacket and that houndstooth skirt are rocking my world this morning. I almost (almost!) wish it got cold enough here to wear wool skirts on a regular basis in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my...I adore that skirt. And what a cute outfit with the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely fabulous, Carolyn! I love the jacket in particular and you look amazing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dude, this pleather... I can't even deal. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so HAWT!!! Carolyn, you are rocking it lady!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your pleather jacket and it looks amazing with your skirt and booties. I have sewn faux suede with laser cut outs and it was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those two outfits make you look really young and hip. Awesome! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super de duper cute!! Luuuuuuv it with the red dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. And this is why we sew....
    Such a unique, wonderful jacket!!
    Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic jacket! One of my favorite things you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! That jacket looks great with everything:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love everything about this! That lacey cut-out pleather is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awwww shucky ducky now!...I loves and loves it all!...that jacket is the business! LOL! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a sassy and chic outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the jacket with everything, especially the herringbone skirt. Your hair look marvelous! Love the booties too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well aren't we cute. Love the jacket over your cranberry dress. I love the way the cranberry color peaks out. You are really rocking the 2nd outfit. The skirt and top and jacket looks so good together. The boots also pulls the whole outfit together, given you a young and hip kind of look. Love both outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love that jacket, especially with the skirt. It is classy and edgy and pretty all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh My Gosh, that lacey pleather is too cool for words. I can see why you had to have it! Awesomeness. I really love how you made it up too. This is a Real Winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. GORGEOUS! I love this jacket, not sure which is my favorite outfit you paired it with as I LOVE both of those as well. Great job on these!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That jacket/skirt combination is so flattering. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome jacket and love its versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  39. so totally love this look. this was a wonderful way to use both the pleather lace and the ponte. i bet you'll wear it tons, and i'm confident everyone in your workplace covets it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Okay, Carolyn. The cardigan is smashing and with the houndstooth skirt, you look totally bad-ass! The MK dress and cardigan is very elegant. I love both looks, though the skirt-cardi combo is my favorite. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just a word about every picture in this post: AWESOME

    If Mood put that lacy pleather online, I bet it would sell out in 24 hours. I'd be the first in line. You used great fabric in a designer fashion!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your smile always is a great measurement for how much you like your garments. This is a great set of garments, especially that awesome vest, and the smile proves how much you love it! So do I!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Carolyn, you make your point so well. I did not quite expect the cardigan to be so versatile. I particularly love your styling with the black and white houndstooth skirt. Very classy. May

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails