Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Quick Note on a Sunday Evening...

...so this is an additional post and not my last one for twenty thirteen.  In my travels through blogland this evening, I came upon two posts that I want to highly recommend.  

The first one is from Beth the author of SunnyGal Studio Sewing.  This one struck me because she writes about how precision sewing is an important component in achieving a good result.  I know that I write alot about inspiration and fabric but believe me when I say if I didn't use a little precision sewing in my garments, they would not turn out so well.  Plus Beth is one of the sewists that I aspire to sew like so I'm always reading along picking up tips so that some day I can sew on her level! 

The second post I'm highlighting might seem like I'm patting myself on the back but I'm not.  The reason that I'm recommending it is because I believe that Barbara, of Sewing on the Edge, was more eloquent than I was in my Photo Backdrop post...and because I love that she understood exactly what I was trying to say.

I know y'all probably know this already but I guess I'm slow.  You can learn anything on YouTube.  I spent some quality time there last night watching videos about my sewing machine (Janome 8900 QCP). I'm so thrilled that I did because I can now use my automatic needle threader better, fill a bobbin more evenly and know how and why I'm suppose to use the stylus that was included with my machine. I picked up a few more tips that once again emphasized to me how much more I have to learn about my sewing machine. Thank goodness for YouTube! *LOL*

Finally, I sewed today...all day. Here's a quick peek at the first top and the pants from my Crazy 8 Wardrobe plan.




...as always more later!


15 comments:

  1. I just read Barbara's post - it was amazing! I'll go check out Beth's in a minute. This top has sleeves since I last saw it. it's looking very good. I'm glad you got to sew all day. Hopefully that was just the stress relief you needed - 2 more days then sewcation starts!!

    Thanks for the constant inspiration my friend. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara nailed it! I sew agree. ;) ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara truly understands what a sewer is trying to communicate with others ~ as do you as well, Carolyn. You sew in a 'language' we all understand ... J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post recommendations-- hopping over to read them both now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, as far as I'm concerned, you can do no wrong! LOL. I love your blog and how your personality shines through your sewing. This is why I keep coming back and why your blog (and Barbara's, by the way) is on my 'Must Read' list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooh. Love that top! I'm going to have to give that mixed media thing a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND, hooray for sewing all day!!! Love when that happens!

      Delete
  7. I loved Barb's post and YOURS on the same subject. I am full agreement with both of you. I want sewing in my sewing blogs!

    Great outfit and wondering what's next in this round of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting topic! I find the blogs that stay on my blogroll are those that regularly give the good and bad about patterns and projects with an authentic voice. I do love photography too so appreciate the time and skill it takes to consistently publish high quality photos. I like both! Though 15 photos of someone posing with no real content or feedback on the project just screams, "look at me!" and I'll stop reading. In the end, I either want content that is helpful (process or pattern notes) or get a glimpse into the author's personality. Without either it just comes across as narcissistic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree! I read your blog for the SEWING. I learn from you, admire your skill and am grateful that you share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, yes. I sometimes forget about consulting YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sewing all the way!! Thank you for the blog suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the top and pants. Have you already shared with us the pattern used for this? It looks comfortable but also classic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this pattern; maybe I'll join.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails