Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Oona Fat Quarter Challenge...

People, beware of sewists bearing gifts after having a few margaritas...because it can spell possible disaster...or a challenge that you've somehow agreed to that's mushroomed out of control.  A challenge that now has an end date, involves other sewists, some judging and a video.  *sigh* Somehow I've talked my way out of the video. 

Okay some details ~
Friday night I met up with some sewists to have dinner and welcome Lauren to town.  While at dinner seated next to Amity (Lolita Patterns), Devra and across from the awesome Marcy, a challenge was born. See we were discussing how fat quarters are usable for real people's clothing and Marcy disagreed, her argument is here!  So she challenged us to take some fat quarters she'd recently received and make a garment from them.

Here is my bundle ~





And the rules ~
  • It must be a garment.  
  • No accessories.  
  • No handbags.  
  • No childrens clothing.
  • The outfit must incorporate all of the 9 fat quarters included in the bundle
  • I got an exemption from this rule because I really want to be able to wear my garments to work!
  • It must be finished by April 30th.
  • We are allowed to use other fabrics to mix with the fat quarters.
I'm actually excited about this challenge!  I've been thinking hard about this since I received my allotment. I know I can make some fashionable work gear for my very professional workplace with my fat quarters combined with some choice pieces of fabric from the collection.



The other participants ~
Amity of Lolita Patterns 
Jennifer of Workroom Social

So stay tuned for more on my ideas and garments for "The Oona's Drunken Fat Quarter Challenge!"

...as always more later!


31 comments:

  1. I am very excited to see what everyone does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, that is a challenge if I ever heard one! I wish you luck but I know you will knock this challenge out of the park. Also your color palette is fantastic; gotta love that power color red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is going to be fun to watch.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like so much fun. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what everyone creates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a sewing bee challenge! I'll look forward to your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat challenge!! Your assortment of fat quarters is nice, though I am wondering what you will come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bias trim. You can get a load of it from a fat quarter. Go for contrast. Piping? Also check out Robert Graham's mens shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fat quarters are very tasteful! They're going to become beautiful clothes, I'm sure. Good luck!

    SJ Kurtz: trim is not allowed. It has to constitute a major part of the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is quite the challenge and I will be watching closely for everyone's results. Garment making with quilting cottons is very hard to pull off, but making an assortment of small pieces look professional? You've got me watching! And if anyone can pull this off, it's you!

    By the way, congratulations on the wonderful article in Vogue Pattern Magazine. It caught your "sewing essence" and is an honor rightfully deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to seeing your creation from the fat quarters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really looking forward to seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so excited to read about this on Oona's blog! I can't wait to see what you're going to come up with. I love what you have to work with. I can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  14. VERY fun. Challenges can really push you in new and interesting directions. Can't wait to see how you put it together. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful challenge. I can't wait to see what you do with these fat quarters. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BUT WHAT IS THE PRIZE?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you're the sewist with the best use of fat quarters? Honestly I believe our finished garments are the prize!

      Delete
  17. Oh my... I want to be part of this challenge!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just The. Coolest. Challenge. Obviously, that's easy to say sitting this side of it, but I can't wait to see what happens. And I'm beyond envious of your margarita fuelled evening of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a cool challenge. You have picked some beautiful fabrics. Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  20. holy macaroni is this challenge stressing me out! i have words in my bundle. words that say "lovely," "delightful," "pretty," and "adorable." are you sure we have to make adult clothing? ack!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, I am so looking forward to the results. Hee, hee, hee.

    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Carolyn -

    This challenge seems like it should be very interesting. I just don't know how you find the time to do all these great things with that adorable baby to spoil. She's absolutely beautiful... as are your other two grandchildren. Happiness realy is being a grandmother. Enjoy them. They grow up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  23. While the challenge is very intriguing, I am envious of the wonderful evening that experienced with like sewers. Where I live there, is not such a community of fellow sewers and I feel that you are very blessed. Enjoy your challenge and fellowship!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fun!!! I like your red theme. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are very nice fat quarters and I can see them all in garments. But you are right- for a conservative work environment, I can't see them all in the same garment. It may be possible to do another with the blues and brown used together- those would work. But it would be more work appropriate to use each color set in its own garment. But you are very lucky- those fat quarters are sharp, with a slightly Asian flair and they would make nice work appropriate clothes. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I also like that you went right for the red!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i wait with baited breath, especially since you laugh like hell at my "work" outfits. this is gonna be GOOOOOOOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been auditioning my idea at work and EVERYONE thinks it will work! Girlfriend I'm gonna shock you with how wearable these are!!!

      Delete
  27. Can't wait to see your masterpiece!! Your fabrics are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can not wait for this to go down.
    It was such a pleasure meeting you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, my brain is spinning with possibilities... so jealous! Such fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails