After using the last week to think about the top, I decided that my version is too tight. I added side gussets to give myself 2.5 inches of ease and make the top fit more like a tunic. I also added black piping to the neckline. Finally I left the sleeves fitted...some because I was too lazy to take the sleeves out. They are perfectly inserted and I was loath to remove them. After trying the top on, I liked the slimmer sleeves, so they stayed.
A picture of me wearing the top with my little black dress...
TNT dress pattern shortened to tunic level
A satin finish silk/wool gazar lace print designed by Milly purchased from Elliot Berman
22" invisible zipper shortened to 18"
white bemberg lining
ivory rayon seam tape
white bias binding
(BTW, all of these items are from my notions stash!)
I thought I would share how I added the gussets to the sides of the top. I started by cutting a 17" x 2.5" wide strip. I made sure that the bottom of the strip was the same as the bottom of the top so that the print would match up. Pictures of the insertion are below...
I opened the side seams up to the bust dart
Added the 2.5" rectangle using 1/2" seam
allowances ending in a triangle in the bust dart area
How it appears from the outside.
I can never leave a good thing alone so I added some black piping at the neckline. I just felt like the top needed an ending point for the lace pattern. The piping isn't on the designer's top. I just didn't like the neckline unadorned.
Black rayon piping from the top's right side
Bias binding used to finish the neckline
Inside of the finished garment
My final finishing touch ~ I covered the hemline seams (sleeves and top hem) with ivory rayon seam binding.
Adding seam binding pressed in half to one of the sleeves
Seam binding on the hem of the top prior to hemming
A few more pics:
Top worn with my little black dress
Side view of top with black pants from
Crazy 8 Tunic & Pants outfit
Initially I thought this was a quick and easy top to sew. It wasn't. There was a lot of work to make this simple design look easy, so I'm understanding that costly price tag better now. However, it was worth my time and effort because the top works with most of my black bottoms.
I'd like to give a quick shout-out to my youngest daughter who was visiting and volunteered to take these pics. Just so that no one thinks I got these from my tripod/camera set up.
This has been a slow sewing month. As usual I've had more plans than time to make them. I honestly don't know if I'm going to get to the red wool pieces now. I really want a pastel pink wool crepe dress and I have an idea for one that I'm aching to sew. Also, I downloaded the Deer & Doe Plaintain tee and I want to try that out. By the time I get these finished, it will be well into April and time to start spring sewing.
I know that I've made some great basics for fall/winter but I'm sad that I'm putting away my wools since I love sewing with them so much.
...as always more later!