Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Summer Shift Dress in a Denim Linen

This is the next dress in The Denim Dress Collection.  I probably have two or three more circling the edges of the my brain so this probably won't be the last one this summer. This is another one influenced by Pinterest. I posted this dress to my May Day post a couple of weeks ago:



...and here is my version of the dress:



Supply List ~
2.5 yards of a denim linen blend from the collection via my trip to Chicago in 2012
22" invisible zipper
Pattern - altered TNT dress pattern

Construction ~
To make this more shift-like, I straightened out the side seams while cutting the dress out. The sleeves were cut using the selvages as the hemline. I also added a breast pocket to my dress ala the inspiration dress.


Close up of the pocket and sleeves with selvage edges

At first I thought that I would look for a pocket pattern piece.  Then I remembered that I had one of those stainless pocket templates so I looked for that. While looking I happened upon my quilting templates (yeah I own a lot of notions) and decided that the 3x3" square template would work just as well for a pocket so that's what I used. I cut it with the selvage as part of the edge and folded it over, pressed and stitched down.

Other than that, there were no additional construction changes to the dress.

A Few Pictures ~



Conclusion ~
This was an easy to sew, and an easy wearing summer shift dress. It passed the "wearabilty test" with flying colors. I think I interpreted the Pinterest dress well and I'm thrilled to have another me made dress in my wardrobe. I especially love how I used the selvage to accent both the breast pocket and the sleeves adding some visual interest to what could be a very plain dress.

One more item off my summer sewing list. Now onto the next!

...as always more later!

19 comments:

  1. You and I tend to have didn't style preferences, but your work is always amazing so I keep coming back. I love this dress! So perfect for summer. I might have to track down a denim/linen blend. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say "different style" - stupid tiny phone keyboard... :)

      Delete
  2. Looking good! The white edge on the pocket is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great dress. Nice and casual for work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this dress! I'm a teacher and have a few denim pieces (and often wear dresses in winter). I'm very inspired - but am working on finding a shift dress pattern....summer is coming! Looks beautiful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a cute one: http://www.hotpatterns.com/hp-1201-fast-fabulous-montpellier-dress/
      It is not the same pattern that Carolyn used, but it's cute made up.

      Delete
  5. Looks great! And comfortable too. I work in a school too but we're not allowed to wear denim :( I would so be wearing a dress if I could get away with it at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute dress, with the detail of the selvedge edges. Nice job, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good and so comfy! I never think to use denim unless it's shorts. I need to branch out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your version looks even better than the inspiration one. I love the detail on the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it.. Looks so cool and comfortable.. You did a great job with the pintrest inspiration.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another nice denim dress. I like the use of selvage for sleeve hem and the pocket. As always a nice job interpreting your inspiration dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like your version. It's a great fit and urban too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very snazzy dress Carolyn! Now that's a piece will take you anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You might enjoy sewing Burda Style 7203 -- it's a fairly basic shift, but with some interesting seaming on the back -- decorative darts, very shallow, that add a nice vertical. And a big ol' kangaroo pocket on the front! I have made it in an emerald-green linen that I wore to pieces. Replaced it with a mid-weight, french blue denim. No fasteners, just slip in on over your head and trot out the door. I did find the neckline to be a bit wide on me, but that's just Burda.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The linen-denim has great drape. You couldn't use just any denim to make a dress like that. The selvage looks a bit like lace from a distance. It looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your dress very much and I thought the sleeves and pocket had a lace trim, too. The selvedge was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice! I wish I could wear denim to work. I love the salvage edges.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love everything you make, but you really knocked it out of the park with this one — lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails