Sunday, October 16, 2016

#wineandcheesewithkashi 2016

About 30 women gathered at Metro Textiles last Thursday evening for some wine, some cheese and ALOT of fabric shopping! I want to thank everyone who came through and made the evening a success.  

A few photos ~
Some of the women who came out to shop

Peggy who came in to go to CampWorkroomSocial

Andrea (KnitKnac) and Arlette (arlycorr)

Clio Phineas and Rachel from House of Pinheiro

Rachel and I meeting for the first time!

Beth (SunnygalStudio), Rachel,  Claire (domesticcoquinette), Carol (makeitanywear), 
Jinxandgunner, Sonja (GingerMakes), Andrea (KnitKnac)

Kashi was thrilled with the turnout especially since he was closed for two days this week for Yom Kippur. 

One of the reasons I do this every year ~ besides the gathering together and fabric shopping ~ is to make sure that this fabric merchant endures. There have been several businesses in the garment district that have disappeared lately for various reasons. I know that we sewists can't buy more fabric than we can afford or store but these fabric stores do depend on our patronage.

So I may make this a spring and fall event next year.  If so, I hope you'll come out, shop, socialize and help insure that the garment district continues to thrive!

...as always more later!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for doing this! I'm a New Yorker and went to the previous one but I was out of town for this one, and really sad about it. I hope you do one in the spring, that would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun. Great idea to organize this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This looks like so much fun! I'm a smidge jealous...not going lie!! Fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like my kind of fun - sharing time with fellow sewists and fabric shopping. What a great way to boost a fabric merchant! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn what a wonderful idea to have a shopping night for Kashi. I wish I could be there too. Lots of fun. When I see a pic of you lately I am surprised to see that you are getting smaller still. You're looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading this and that you're helping to support a local merchant. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need to discuss that coat you're wearing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this topper last fall. Deets are here: http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/2015/10/butterick-5678-topper.html

      Delete
  8. Even though i am on quite severe fabric restrictions due to a large stash that i am running out of room for and budget reasons, that would have been really tempting. And it isnt just the fabric stores that are effected, it must have a knock-on effect in the fabric manufacturing industry. We all just have to keep spreading the word about all the wonderful reasons why we sew. I can only wear natural fibres these days, and being on a strict budget at the moment means I am lucky that I can sew the things I need. Long live fabric stores!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How long in advance do you schedule these meet ups. I will be in NYC in the spring and would love to attend. Please let us know if a date had already been selected for Spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't selected a date yet. Why don't you drop me a note at my email addy with the date you'll be in NYC and if it's scheduled I will let you know.

      Delete
  10. Ok if you do this in the spring I am so there. I will make sure to be there. Fall will always be tougher...but I totally need to make it to NYC and the garment district!

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I'm not a local, when I'm in NYC I always visit Kashi with Kyle of course. I hope Kashi can be there for my next visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man! so jealous. It's just an awfully long subway ride from Portland Oregon. Would LOVE to meet up at Kashi's. He was the highlight of my NYC trip when we were there. :) I'd spend money there anytime!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carolyn! In line with this topic, National Sewing Circle is running a special (for members) on McCalls patterns for the next couple of days - hope this helps someone! It was a fun night - thanks for putting it together and for a terrific September of specials - Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun! Hopefully, by this time next year I'll be back in the States and able to attend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails