Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Out of Print Vogue 7271 - Fall 2017 Version

This was one of my favorite maxidresses to wear last summer and I've worn it a couple of times this summer too. It's such a comfortable dress to wear that I wanted another one. 


I've had this red floral poly crepe in the collection for years...so long that I don't even remember where it came from. However, since it's more of an autumnal red, I thought it would make a great fall maxidress. Now that I can dictate what I want to wear and when, I've been longing for a fall maxi and this one fits the bill.


This dress was made twice last summer ~ the original and the maxi edition. While I love the short one, it is a bit fancy so I don't wear it as much.  Where the maxi version is more practical, so of course, it has been worn more.

The Materials ~
3.5 yards red floral polyester crepe
14" red invisible zipper - cut down from a 22" zipper
red/white striped cotton bias binding

Construction Info ~
I used the exact same construction for this as I did the first maxi. Except after putting the dress together and trying it on for fit, it was too close fitting. So I opened the side seams of the bodice and sewed 3/8" side seams...giving me just enough wiggle room. The dress is still close fitting but it doesn't feel like it's pressing in on my ribcage anymore.

To give the dress a little zing I added the red/white striped cotton bias binding to finish the neckline and the armholes. On my last dress I added darts to the armholes to remove the excess space. For this version, I added a row of stitching and eased the extra in at the neckline and armholes. Due to the fabric type, there wasn't as much excess fabric.

I added some stitch witchery to the hemline, turned it up 5/8" and machine stitched it. That's it...the dress was finished!

A few more pictures ~




...and worn with a cardigan



It's a perfect dress for fall.  While its still warm it's great with some heels and a short sleeve cardigan.  When it gets a little cooler, I will add a denim jacket, shoe booties and tights. It should take me through to the end of the year and that's what I wanted in an autumn maxi.

Finally, two of the grandbabies (Samantha & Joshua) joined me on the stairs for photos. 



...as always more later!




26 comments:

  1. What a great color on you! And those grand babies are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress and cute grandbabies. You look great in red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That whole dress really suits you the cut colour and fit are so flattering awesome work

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is lovely and that color looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that fabric and that color is perfect for you. Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of the feminine floral with a denim Jacket.
    PS I think the short version isn't so much a little bit fancy as it is happy.
    Your autumnal maxi is pretty happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing! Beautiful dress! Red is your color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this floral print, it is very "fall", the color is so flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The grand babies are the perfect accessory! They have the most beautiful smiles. And the pattern is perfect when it's made into a maxi dress, well done! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great dress, Carolyn! You nailed the fit and that color is really lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my good gracious what a beautiful dress!!! The fit is so slimming & the fabric is gorgeous, so pretty. And those babies! Those little faces made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks amazing! I love how the addition of the cardigan changed the whole feel of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The color is gorgeous on you! And the shape is really flattering. I loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dress is great. I love the shape of those cut-in armholes, with the raised waist and light gathers below. This one's a real winner. And of course the color is spectacular on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress and the fabric are gorgeous!! Looks beautiful on you!
    Switching topics: I'm sure that some of your followers are interested in reducing their fabric stash. Here is a NYC based organization that accepts fabric donations:
    The Custom Collaborative ( www.customcollaborative.org )
    The Custom Collaborative is a NYC based workforce development program that trains and supports low-income women.
    To donate fabric: Mail to Custom Collaborative at 102 Bradhurst avenue, New York, NY 10039. Or, drop off fabric at 81 Claremont Avenue on any Friday between 10 am and 5 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful print/color on you. The dress fit is great. You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the color and print It looks great on you

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely dress. Carolyn, red looks great on you. And Samantha and Joshua are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dress is beautiful - what a great creative take on fall dressing!
    I live in Alaska, and am visiting NYC this week. Because of your recommendation I went to Metro Textiles this afternoon. I had gone thru a number of fabric stores and was completely overwhelmed. Kasha was fabulous!!! He helped me pick fabrics that coordinate and I love, and the prices were unbelievably good! Thank you so much for sharing about him - he and his store are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That is a glorious dress I love the color and the print and it looks like it moves very nicely too

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woww!!!you and that dress are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is an amazing dress on you. It's just perfect, and suits you to a T.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dress is one of my favorites on you! Your grandchildren are absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails