Friday, January 12, 2018

It's in the Air!

If you're on any form of social media, you may have seen sewists talking about wardrobe sewing...especially on Instagram the makenine2018 hashtag is trending...at least in my feed. Also quite a few sewists are talking about sewing from their fabric collections...c'mon y'all know I would never use that "S" word! *LOL*

Then MimiG started sewing 10 Must Have Me Made Garments that are based upon sewing every day wearable garments. I've started to think there must be something in the air cause you know I'm sewing my own "Crazy 8 Wardrobe."

So what is it about the beginning of this year, that has collectively caused the sewing community to look at what we've been sewing, and realize that we need to make more garments that reflect the lives we actually live. Or that maybe we should sew from some of that amazing fabric we spent 2017, 2016, 2015, etc. collecting.

I don't know about others but I am still trying to sew up a completely me-made wardrobe. I miss wearing something I've made everyday. Especially now that it's so cold here on the East Coast, I'm swathing myself in sweaters and cashmere to protect myself from the bitter chill.

To remind you here is what my Crazy 8 Wardrobe consists of:
1. A jacket - McCalls 7481
2. A cardigan - Heidi Cardigan by StyleArc Patterns
3. Two shirts that button down - TNT pattern
4. A blouse - Vogue 8772 
5. A topper - Vogue 9286 
6. A pair of jeans - Ames jeans by Cashmerette Patterns
7. A pair of pants - TNT pants pattern or the Eleanore Jeans by Jalie Patterns
8. A bonus piece - a vest from Vogue 9273

During my Christmas Sewcation I completed the jacket using McCalls 7481.

Jacket during construction with pants in the background

I also made a pair of trousers made from denim that need some alterations but I think I can make them work. I'm presently working on the Vogue 9286 topper and I hope to complete one of the two shirts from the list this weekend too. 


It's Martin Luther King Jr. weekend here in the USA and our offices are closed on Monday...giving me an extra day of sewing time so I hope to get all of the pieces mentioned above completed.

However, I won't make my self-imposed deadline of January 31st and I'm cool with that. I will have made four of the nine items on my list but there's no way I will get the next five outfits completed in 2 weeks. I still want to sew all of these items so I will be working on this list until they're completed. Especially since these items are all things that I want to incorporate into my every day wardrobe.

This is what I'm sewing/creating/working on now.  Blog posts of the finished garments soon.

...as always more later!


17 comments:

  1. The jacket looks beautiful!! Can hardly wait to see it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the jacket is lovely! Good luck with the nine. I'm getting back into the sewing using my collection :) So far 4 tops and an almost completed pair of cropped pants. I am also challenging myself to make a jacket a month. So many challenges around, however I find the social media aspect takes me away from the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest - I guard my sewing time or you would spend all of your time reading about sewing instead of actually doing it! So glad that you're sewing! Hopefully you will post a few pics so that we can see what you're making!

      Delete
  3. Your completed jacket looks good! I agree that something is in the air! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful jacket and I look forward to seeing the nine appear. I've got 2 things cut out ready to sew from my Collection but first need to get some toiles finished for my workshops later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your jacket fabric ! I’ve been totally sucked in to reading all the social media & need to spend more time sewing. But I have to say reading blogs like yours still give me the greatest inspiration !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too agree that your blog is inspirational! I am a bit surprised that your wardrobe list does not include a dress but I guess the cold weather is the reason. It's even cold here in Houston. I'm sewing from my collection and would love to aspire to make everything I wear but get bored making simple knit tops preferring to make a lovely jacket so I'll probably continue to sew what I love. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - it's too cold here now until late April/early May to wear a dress. So it wouldn't be worth my time to make a dress I'm not going to wear. I'm actually going to spend the next couple of months making tops and jackets since I have a pretty deep RTW bottoms selection. That's why my plan is so heavy on tops.

      Delete
  7. Love the finished jacket. That print fabric is so dreamy. Even though I'm trying to sew from the collection, I don't do formula wardrobes. I just can't seem to stick to them but do try to make clothes that work with other clothes in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your crazy8 plans! That jacket is gorgeous - you'll be wearing that a lot come spring so you're well ahead of schedule already :) I joined the 2018 RTW Fast challenge this year for the first time which sent me scurrying to my closet in a bit of fuss to see what I'm lacking that could possibly tempt me to break my intentions. Sleeveless woven blouses! I don't own a single one and they are the coolest in the summer especially in linen so that's on my agenda for the next few months :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen - I have all intentions of wearing this jacket this winter. It's so dayum cold here that I want some fun & funky also some classic type jackets to wear with turtlenecks over my jeans. Once it gets warm, I move back to dresses with a quickness and a hurry! LOL!

      Delete
  9. The Crazy8 makes sense to me and might just be achievable.in 2018 ....time will tell.
    I do not have a fabric stash but I will do all I can to collect one.........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that jacket! I am not going to give myself any sewing goals because then I work myself into a frenzy trying to do complete everything. But I definitely will be sewing practical clothes that I would wear in my day-to-day lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty jacket! My goal this year is also to sew items for everyday use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful jacket! Participating in 2 capsule contests last year filled in so many basics in my closet and I'm thrilled to have them there. Not gonna lie, sewing plain white and black pieces is boring to me, but those are the things that get worn day in and day out. I love seeing everyone on the capsule trend right now - can't wait to see all of your finished garments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the jacket ! I love the wardrobe idea. I'm finding my wardrobe needing everyday tops. I'm quite sick of the ones in my closet right now.And today is a sewing for me day. I have a gorgeous purple rayon knit allm cut out and ready to sew!!! have a great week Carolyn. I hope you are enjoying your extra day of sewing. Oh, BTW, that quote of Martin Luther King's in your other post is so fitting what with all the sh-- going on in US politics right now. Hope that doesn't offend you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your plans look fun! I think there has been a lot of focus on creating capsule wardrobes outside of the sewing community (on YouTube and fashion/Style blogs and vlogs that I follow), so it seems natural that this would diffuse into the minds of people who make their own clothes too. Plus, I think there is a general sense of sustainability, minimalism, and simplification bleeding into the social consciousness at the moment; in sewing this will translate into using stash, and being more thoughtful with the planning stages of sewing. It is interesting how the community does seem to latch on to ideas collectively, because I too want to focus on wardrobe sewing/planning/stash busting this year. I’m excited to see what you continue to make and plan, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails