Friday, May 22, 2009

The Sunshine Yellow Dress & Jacket Collection

If you've been paying attention, you will notice that I've purchased alot of yellow fabric this spring. The color really appeals to me because it looks so fresh and new. It has such a cheerful appearance and I believe that by adding it to my wardrobe, it will give said wardrobe a much needed lift and injection of not only color but my personality too!

See, I believe that I've finally constructed enough "corporate-type" outfits and now its time to make garments that are infused with me yet will play well with my workplace standbys. So I've presented myself with a new sewing challenge...isn't that a nice way to say that I've come up with a new direction to take my sewing in! *LOL* I want to create a collection of brightly colored garments to be sewn within the next six weeks!



This is a very basic sketch of what I want to make. However, I know that I want to make three jackets, three dresses and a skirt or two. I'm not making any tops this go round because I have quite a few RTW tanks that will work with this collection. I want to give myself over completely to creating these color drenched garments. As with all collections, the codacil is that I want them to play nicely with each other and what is currently in my wardrobe.

I will do a reveal of the pieces the week of July 4th ~ when there should be a new hard drive in my apt to download pics too!

Hopefully this will give my sewing some much needed direction especially since for the last month or so I've felt a bit rudderless and adrift. I have several 3-day weekends coming up so with my plan in hand, I hope that I will be more productive than I've been of late.

Finally the last part of this challenge is that 99% of the materials must come from my various collections. The only thing I am making an allowance for is some bright yellow lining fabric to go in several of the garments...so I will pick that up from the garment district tomorrow. But that is the only exception. I'm rooting around in the things that I've accumulated and in the much missed words of Tim Gunn...I want to "Make it Work!"

Of course, this whole sewing a collection thing will make reoccurring appearances here so stay tuned!




22 comments:

  1. Cool ideas. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious that you can wear yellow! It's such a happy color and it is so TERRIBLE on me.

    I think your plan looks great and I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I can't wait to see everything. Have fun in the garment district today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. surely getting 99% of the fabrics from your very impressive stash won't be a challenge at all! Looking to seeing your bright spring clothes, a bit different to the grey grey and more grey I'm planning now we're heading into winter down here.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing all the color drenched garments. Wish I was going to the garment district. Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cheerful colors. They're going to look great on you. I hope the fabrics will bring you joy as you sew with them, and I look forward to your reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those colors are going to look fab on you! It's cool that you even know where to go to get yellow lining, I wouldn't know where to begin. Lucky. K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love the fact that you can approach sewing projects from so many directions. You can focus on a color - like yellow. You can focus on a purpose - like work. You can have no focus at all - like me! Sewing is such a great hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn I'm going to be just like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That color is going to look awesome on you! I can't wait to see the collection.

    I've never worn yellow but I recently made two yellow tops and really like them a lot - they seem so fresh and new.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colors!!! I'm looking forward to reading about your garments. Do you actually have the discipline to go into the garment district and just buy lining? I wouldn't trust myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Lovely! I must sew something yellow now!

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love yellow, and if you saw my winter coat you are aware of that. The green is also up there with yellow as one of my favorites too, so I am looking forward to seeing your creations. That and resisting any of the sales that have filled my e mail box.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the yellow! I seem to be attracted to it these days, too. I was just looking at the yellow linen at FM this morning, thinking vintage shirt dress. It was my mother's fav. color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found a 10 yard piece of bright yellow cotton knit last fall. It became a sleeveless dress, a long sleeved dress, a short sleeved top and a tank top. I even have a little left over should another top inspire me. I agree that it's a color that makes one feel summery! Can't wait to see you put it together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those fabrics ! Can't wait to see the final pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fresh and exciting. Good luck and can't wait to see the finished outfits. You may need some new shoes to go with all that goodness, don't you think??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you have a great plan! Yellow will be beautiful on you. I like yellow in the winter as well as summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SewingLibrarianMay 22, 2009 9:20 PM

    Is that the yellow matelasse from FM? I have some of that, too. Planning to make a dress and jacket. Your coordinates are lovely.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love. That. Yellow!!! This is going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful! I can't wait to see the final garments!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the yellow! It is going to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails