Saturday, May 09, 2009

Bits and Pieces

I've been away for a minute...partially because I haven't thought much about sewing this week and partially because work has been very, very busy for the last two weeks. It will be a little slower this week so hopefully I will be able to refocus my priorities!

The Bring it On Dress
I am ripping the zipper out, taking off the pleated bottom and adding a solid black base. I think that will make the dress work but if it doesn't...the last step will be to make it sleeveless. I should work on it this weekend. I probably won't. I have a need for some new skirts.

Skirts
Has anyone seen this month's (June 2009) Lucky? The magazine that is...they have two great pictorials, one on bold printed pencil skirts:



and another one on dresses:



I don't need much dress inspiration...but one great bold printed skirt would make a wonderful Fashion Friday outfit for work!

Weight
Okay, I've been secretly hating on Mo'nique for her weight loss. She is now down to a size 14 from a size 22-24. I've been annoyed because she preached size acceptance so wonderfully and then she went and lost a helluva lot of weight...without making as much noise about it. Well I guess I understand why now...not one but two doctors have told me that I need to lose 50 lbs. 50 lbs totally pushes me out of the plus size range...but medically it is affecting me...so weight I must lose. I don't know how and it won't be on some fad diet that I can't maintain...it will be done correctly and healthily...but I definitely understand Mo'nique now! And can you do me a favor, can you NOT leave messages about weight loss...I am ambivalent about this at best...cause I really like how I look...and I HATE the thought that I've taken the time to construct the perfect wardrobe and will probably now have to do it all over again!

The Michelle Obama Effect
I read this article online, "Can Michelle Obama Save Fashion Retailing?" It was an interesting article but my main thought was...ummmm, she already is! J.Crew, Talbots, Michael Kors, Isabel Toledo and Jason Wu have already been majorly affected by her choices, as well as Mario Pinto. She wears clothing that most women can afford and she wears it well. I would definitely say that her clothing choices are affecting the bottom line in RTW, just like that extra money her husband, Mr. President, added to my paycheck is affecting my ability to purchase a few more things monthly!

Star Trek
It is rare that I want to see a big budget, blockbuster type movie...but I am dying to see this one! I probably will get to it next weekend cause I want to avoid the first weekend crowds...but I just can't wait!!! And they are using the same type of fashions from the 60s - those mini dresses, boots and wacky costumes that were featured in the original TV show...be still my heart! *LOL*

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I have a family activity to attend to celebrate the day with my own mother, daughters and siblings...so I don't know how much sewing I will get done this weekend...however, I would like to wish all of you Mothers out there a wonderful day tomorrow!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails