After trying it on, I can see making a few more of these, I will just need to tweak it a little bit more to get the fit I like.
Okay some stats:
100% cotton jacquard from Fabric Mart
22" invisible zipper
5 yards of off-white bias binding
2.5 yards of white cotton batiste
First I cheated. Instead of figuring out all of the alterations that I would need, I laid my TNT dress pattern down first, then the B5147 pattern piece for View D (the dress with the flared a-line skirt) and to complete the sandwich a piece of tracing paper. I proceeded to trace a new pattern piece using the difference between the TNT and the 5147 piece to get pieces that would work for me. Okay, I didn't want to reinvent the wheel!
Basically this worked for me. As I said in the beginning there are a few minor alterations that I need to make to the pattern, like the front neck is a little wide. It sits okay but I can see myself fidgeting with it all day. Not a good look. So I will take two small tucks in the front pattern piece to make it hug my chest better.
The second issue is the armholes. They are too big. And this is totally my fault. I should have followed my TNT pattern more closely in this area and I didn't. So I will be raising the armholes a half inch on the pattern. Finally, the dress is close fitting. Not in a bad way but I think I'm going to add a 1/4" to the side seams in the waist area to give myself another inch...which should make me more comfortable.
Yeah, they fit like that on me too!
Here is where I should also state that I omitted the fisheye darts in the front and back pattern pieces. I'm sure some plus size women can probably do darts in their abdomen area. I'm NOT one of them! *LOL*
Finally, because my fabric is a little sheer in the flower areas, and I didn't have any white bemberg rayon lining, (How did that happen? Time to restock the lining stock!) I used a white cotton batiste to underline the dress.
I chose to underline instead of line because I hate the way that cotton batiste linings creep on my spanx. I don't know if this happens to anyone else but I find that the silky linings wear better. Truthfully, I'm not sure that I won't experience creep when I wear this dress all day but it needed to be lined and all of the tan and nude linings I had in stock didn't look as good as the white did. So I chose look over function...and I will be on the lookout for creeping.
Also because I underlined the dress, I had to use bias binding to finish the neckline and armholes. I could have made facings like Jackie did, but in the end I decided to just use the bias binding treatments because it's worked for me before.
The hem was shortened by 2.5" on the pattern pieces. I really wanted a knee-length or slightly below knee-length dress. The longer length of the dress shown on the pattern envelope was doing nothing for me...so I shortened the pattern pieces. After trying the dress on, I can say that I'm glad that I did!
I do have one thing that I must show you:
Lastly, this is a great pattern for wardrobe building. If you are looking for a great dress pattern to build a work wardrobe on, this one more than fits the bill. As I worked with the pattern, I could imagine several variations to the pattern, as well as, how some distinctive fabrics could make the dress look completely different from the original version.
I do want to make the jacket, skirt and top that are included in this pattern. All of these pieces will add functionality to my work wardrobe as well as a little color and make a fashion statement. I'm seriously thinking about making these pieces part of my Sewcation...though we shall see because I'm starting to develop quite a list.
Next weekend, I will make the black linen dress that I put on hold because I can always use a black dress for work. As soon as I can I will post photos of me wearing the B5147 dress...
...as always, more later!