The Katie Dress ~
I loved this dress...loved...loved...loved it! It was the kind of pattern that let me play. Gleefully play and I went a little crazy with the Katie love. So much so that there is one cut out waiting to be sewn and fabric bought from a recent trip to Joann's for another one. Yes, I know...but I don't care! LOL! I love this pattern!
So this month I ended up making one sleeveless dress, the original that was cut as a dress but I wear as a tunic with black capri leggings and the dramatic shirt version. Before fall begins, I'm sure I will have five versions finished to wear through late summer and into fall.
Deer & Doe Myosotis Dress ~
I made the original dress from an embroidered gingham from Hobby Lobby. Even though it was short, I loved that dress so much that I made it again. My second version was made using an embroidered border print. Because seriously border prints and embroidered fabrics are so my thing right now that of course I went for fabric that married the two.
Can I tell you that I have another one waiting on the sewing table to be cut out. In my defense, I don't have a maxi version and I've been seeing this maxi, collared version in my head. So I have to make it...have to!
The Perth Dress ~
This is where I struggled. I used an entire weekend to make a pattern work and wanted to cry the Saturday evening I called uncle. Bundled up all of the pattern pieces and put them in a folder. See I ignored two of my sewing rules ~ one, never grade a pattern up to plus sizes. Nevah, evah, evah. I'm not a pattern maker and while I can do a few pattern alterations that's as far as my skill set goes.
Two ~ I'm a card carrying member of Team Tissue. All pdf patterns aren't created equal. Though I do have to say that one thing I did like about assemblying this one is that you taped three pages across and down then back up to add the next three tiles.
I'm crying uncle on this because Carolyn has released it as a plus size pattern and a tissue pattern is winging it's way to me from Australia as we speak. I will revisit it when I receive it because I really like the uniqueness of this dress.
Kalle Dress ~
Ummm three Katies, a Deer & Doe and a failed Perth left no room for this pattern especially since we were out and about last weekend. Its on the cutting table with its fabric and will be sewn in September. This is good because I really wanted the version with the longer sleeves that I can wear over my skinny jeans and/or leggings.
That's my Indie Pattern month round up. I have a few more Indie paper patterns (Style Arc, Hot Patterns) that I want to sew before it gets really cold. This year I've decided to try wearing a few skirts with tights and long sleeve Concord Tees and cardigans (RTW and handmade) with ankle boots for fall. Boy has my look evolved from those Corporate America days! *LOL* Right now I'm seeing more shirts and toppers for winter sewing but truly that's so far on the outer edges of my creative brain that they're a very low priority.
Now to talk fabric in/out goals. I'm not doing well here folks. I bought 12.5 yards of fabric this month before my weekend trip to Lancaster where I added another 10.5 yds. I sewed 10 yards of fabric (2 Katie dresses and one sewing fail). Which makes my YTD totals, 144 yards out of the collection. Thank goodness for the donation otherwise I'd just be breaking even or drowning. I continue to hope to have a few more fabric-less months but it hasn't been working out.
I have a couple of days off to sew for Labor Day Weekend and then I have a really busy September (work-related). But look for the Kalle, Katie and Myosotis to make an appearance on the blog during September.
...as always more later!