Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Dark Floral Katie Dress

This was my first version of the Katie Dress made straight from the download.

As originally sewn

Worn with black capri leggings

Supplies ~
The fabric is a cotton/linen print purchased from Fabric Mart last month. It was from a special offering to Premium Members and I bought several of these prints then. They are now online here but the print used in my dress has sold out. 

The black linen is from the collection probably from Ebad Fabrics in the garment district purchased years ago...back when I kept black yardage on hand for basics.

Finally the buttons are from M&J Trimmings.  I bought them after I placed some stash buttons on the dress and posted it to Instagram. Some of the comments made me think, so I went shopping and found some different buttons to use.

A little backstory ~
Before I headed to banking land and an entirely corporate wardrobe, I use to sew ALOT of prints. So much so that my sister, who was a recruiter for a major corporation at the time, told me when I went to her for advice on getting a new job, to lose the bold prints. This was about 20-25 years ago. I was coming out of garment district jobs where I could basically wear what I wanted...trying to move into a corporate job with some serious benefits. 

So I toned down some of my wilder prints. Then I moved into a banking job where I had to tone them wayyyyyy down! Now that I've finally dislodged all of that corporate noise from my creative brain, I'm wading back into the deep with deliciously loud prints. See I'm actually a bold color and print sewist who likes simple shapes. I hate ruffles and ditsy little prints. I love a bold primary color and I also love a great menswear influenced garment. A little contradiction for sure.

Construction Info ~
So this dress...like I said earlier its made straight from the pattern and it worked. One of the things I love the most is the faced hemline. By adding the facing, you give the hem weight so that the fabric hangs the way it's supposed to and doesn't rise up or float around.

The changes I made were creative and not structural.  The front buttonband, collar and sleeve hems were all cut from the black linen. It was to give your eyes a place to rest. It also makes the floral print POP! 


The banded sleeve is a technique I've used over and over again but if you want a step by step tutorial, check out this blog post. Disregard the piping info or hold onto it for a future make! And I omitted the sleeve ruffle because seriously I'm tired of this trend. Can it go away already in sewingland? Cause I hardly ever see it on the streets of NYC anymore and I work in the heart of the garment district!

For the next dress, I'm lengthening the front and back by two inches so the dress front will cover my knees and the back dip will have more drama. You know I LOVE a dramatic high/low hemline!

A few pictures ~

The first photos are of the dress as is...it's a little short and shows my knees...and I'm just not comfortable showing my knees at my age.  Now this is me and says nothing about other women my age...just MY preference.



The next set of photos are of the dress worn with black capri leggings under it...like a tunic...and how I will wear the outfit! 





Y'all Imma be honest, I hate my arm fat pads in this picture...but a friend of mine said I was making my sleeves too long. So I'm including it so she can see why I make them longer. I was doing it to cover these fat pads & Imma go back to making my short sleeves longer to cover that area because I have to be happy with wearing the garment. Sorry...not sorry! *LOL*


This was the first of the Katie dresses but I'm posting it out of order because of the EB post...one more version to come to the blog!

Parting Shot ~
This was my daughter's favorite shot...so I'm including it because she's so patient and giving of her time to take these pics for me. We did these late one evening because with four kids, a full time job, and a partner, I take her when she has time!




...as always more later!




21 comments:

  1. I love these dresses! Not sure if I should make one. I'm a couple sizes larger than you, for one, and I'd have to grade up beyond the pattern sizing and doing that with a pdf pattern discourages me.

    I'm sorry the tulip sleeves aren't in anymore. I completely missed the trend and I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi - there’s a lot of ease in this pattern so it might not be so hard to grade up. I bought my pattern on one of Mimi’s pdf pattern sales...maybe wait for one if you’re not sure.

      Delete
  2. You have made a fabulous trio of dresses. They look like they would be very comfortable for hot weather too. Gathered and other sleeve designs and cold shoulders still seem to be featured a lot in sewing patterns but where I live ( very small rural town which is not a wealthy area ) I wouldn't know what the trends are in fashion but I would hope the sewing designers would be keeping up to date. I don't care about dressing in the most recent thing but I also don't want to look like something out of a history book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really rocking these Katie dresses! It's inspiring to see how they evolve from the original pattern as you add your personal touches.

    I also feel much more comfortable with my elbows covered, and one of the things I appreciate about sewing my own clothes is that I always have that choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand about appropriate lengths and proportions but like you I sew to enhance my figure and longer sleeves to me, make me look better.

      Delete
  4. Love reading your blog and being inspired by your expertise. I only quilt and sewing garments scares me! I am hoping your experience will give me courage to sew my own garments. BTW, I don't like showing my knees either and it is extremely difficult to find dresses that are long enough...one of the reasons I would like to sew for myself ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanice - just do it. Pick a simple pattern and give it a whirl. I’m sure you’re first quilt was an adventure just like this will be.

      Delete
  5. I think menswear touches to wild prints makes total sense...simple shapes and tailored touches grounds the wildness...
    What about copying the high low effect on your short sleeves?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress -- love the print and those flower buttons are such a great detail! (And I'm with you -- happier not showing my knees, wear leggings under my casual dresses a lot.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 'statement' sleeves don't make sense to me; I barely have a coat with sleeves that are big enough to go around regular sleeves (and I only have that coat because I drafted my own pattern for it). Fitted coats don't work with big shirts. This has come up as a pattern tester (is this a dress or a coat?) and...bffff.
    That whine whined, these are really great makes. You look so HAPPY, what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for showing this dress with the capri leggings! I am about your age and shape and had bypassed this dress (knees etc). But I really like it with the capris -- seems to change the whole 'attitude' of the dress. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty dress. I love bold prints. I have a friend who asked me to stop wearing all the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these dresses but really, if someone doesn't like looking at your elbows - they should stop looking. Otherwise, if those sleeves make you happy then wear the heck out of them. You look so happy and bright and comfy, you are rockin' that dress, beautifully. Believe me, there are very few perfect bodies in this world, with or without surgical enhancements. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beauty and the banding is brilliant. It is a gorgeous fabric and really suits you. Love the parting shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks blak blanca! The last pic is def for my daughter cause I so appreciate her taking time out of her busy schedule to take pics for me.

      Delete
  12. There are lots of things that make this pattern terrific on you but I did notice one thing. On the pic of the back, the length is perfect for you. Not too long to drag you down and not to short to cut across the thickest part of the calf. One of the best "back looks" I have seen you make recently. Hope you understand what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My comment seems to have disappeared! I wanted you to know that the pic of the back showed this garment to be one of the best back pics I have seen you make. Not too long to drag you down and not too short to cut across the widest part of the calf. It is just a perfect length in the back for you. Hope you know what I mean! Love this on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look great! Love the material, sleeves, collar & buttons. Love the look with the leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where can I download or purchase this pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails