Saturday, September 21, 2019

Mod 60's Purple Shirt

Once again fabric is the driving force behind this shirt. I wanted something original, funky and fun. I believe this print checks all of those boxes.


However, unlike the Hydrangea Panel Print shirt, this one has a closer fit. Same TNT shirt pattern just different back pieces...or the same dayum button up shirt I've been sewing for the last two years. See it's like this...these two shirts fit my lifestyle...so why am I changing it up?  I guess I could try another shirt pattern but my thought again is why when this works?

I love finding interesting fabrics to use to make these button up shirts. They work so well with my fall/winter wardrobe of jeans or leggings with a cardigan or a topper. To throw a monkey wrench into this thinking, I do have another shirt/blouse pattern that I used a couple of years ago. It will be making an appearance on the blog soon - Vogue 8772.

Supply List ~
100% cotton fabric from Zooks Fabrics in Lancaster, PA
White shirting from Metro Textiles
Buttons from Nancy's Notions in Lancaster, PA
Interfacing from Steinlauf & Stoeller

Again no new construction techniques. I chose to use white shirting for the collar, undercollar, front band and cuffs. When I chose this print fabric, I knew I was going to add the white to it...to emphasize the print...yet close in the print and give your eyes a place to rest.

A Few Pictures ~



(I loved this shirt when we took the pictures and amazingly 
this was the only one of the back we took! Why?)

I love the bold print of this fabric especially with my white denim jeans that I'm still wearing...cause it's summer until September 23rd! BTW, can I talk about these jeans for a minute. 

They're RTW denim jeans from QVC from the Women with Control Line. They have tummy control (cause my tummy has none! LOL!) and I buy them in tall so I have extra length. Most importantly though they fit over my bodacious bottom which is a challenge I have with a lot of RTW jeans. I own these in white, black, a muddy brown called chocolate and a midwash denim. Yes, I'm one of those people that when I like something I buy it in all the colors!

So out of the three pieces of fabric purchased from my last trip to Zooks, I've sewn two. The third is going on the fabric shelves because frankly it's a little too summery to sew now. I've been sewing so more is coming to the blog.

Parting Shot ~
My granddaughter, Samantha, always throws up these two v's when she takes pictures...so much so that we have to tell her to stop.


I was starting to get goofy.  We take photos of 3 or more garments when my daughter comes, to maximize her time and my sewing time, I start to get pretty silly after "posing" for awhile. Here I am imitating Samantha.



...as always more later!










18 comments:

  1. I have WWC pants too! I always support anyone who has talls on QVC (I'm 6'2") and I have to share a secret about them, you can usually find new ones on eBay from sellers that buy goods from the TV stores. I've gotten several for less than $6 a pair. If you search with the name and size or just the name and tall you will be amazed! You might also like the Anybody brand from Q. Very comfy and tall...the joggers are great, not super tight. I got their knit wide legs when they were a TS for $16 a pair...about what I'd spend on fabric! They even had the cutest tall size wide leg romper that is my favorite piece of clothing. I just got the Laurie Felt(was Hot in Hollywood) silky denim and you might like the fit, such amazing, soft, comfy denim! I also have Flexi-belle jeans from Kim Gravel that are really good too .I still buy from Q but I also check eBay for additional pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually buy the WWC pants on QVC when they're on sale and on Easy Pay. I will admit to having an Easy Pay habit. LOL! So thanks for the eBay tip. My other jeans come from online retailers because I haven't had much luck with booty coverage with the other "designers" on QVC.

      Delete
  2. Love the blouse...my favorite color & yes I am up early....some ladies like to get there hair done at 7:30 in the morning..& I am a hair stylist who knits, sews & will crochet on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that! My hairdresser's first appt on Saturdays is 7am...since she also takes walk-ins I usually show up around 11-11:30 when the first wave is finishing up! I think it's cool that you also knit, sew and crochet.

      Delete
  3. Love it, Carolyn, so crisp and snazzy-looking and the fit is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carolyn! Your make is Absolutely stunning! Love the crisp white shirting accents and the fabulous mod purple; best yet, it looks FABULOUS on you! May I ask, did you need to make a BBA (bodacious booty adjustment), and if so, how you went about it? I am pear shaped and always have issues with shirts and jackets that are straight cut--to fit in the shoulder I must rework the lower part of the shirt; to fit in the hips I must rework the shoulders. Sigh.... Any advice would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use either the princess seams or the full back with yoke for booty coverage. The princess seams allow me to alter to fit my body frame and the full back covers it with enough fabric so I don't need to worry about it hanging up on my backside. If you use the shirts link in the labels under this post, all of my sewing & fitting tips are in the posts there.

      Delete
  5. Love the fit of this latest shirt. It hugs your shape more than the others while gliding nicely in a very flattering way over your curves. I think it's a better look on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like the white trim. The color is lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The closer fit of this shirt is very slimming and I love those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so sexy in those white pants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great print shirt, love the white contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!! I need to get myself TNT button up pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen you mention Nancy's Notions in Lancaster a few times. I thought, no, that's in Wisconsin. Then I Googled it. Wow! What a neat store.We have something similar for the Amish and Mennonite folks in the Finger Lakes. And it is a fantastic place to get buttons and notions. So there is more than 1 Nancy's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great fit, and I love that crisp white contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your fit through the body of this shirt, it's perfect and so complimentary, you look fantastic. And comfortable, I might add...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like that fit on you, and the white looks wonderful with that print. It's terrific that you've sewn 2 of the 3 Zooks pieces you bought. I'm avoiding summer fabric, too, because while it's sunny and 73 here today, I did have the heat on last week, and I know the cold is on its way....

    (And I buy one of every color if I love the fit of something, and sometimes 2 of basic black or white if it's a skirt. Because who knows if it will come around again?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, I certainly do appreciate the garments I've made. It's such a fun thing, being able to make ones' own garments. You do a fabulous job on everything you make. Grandchildren included. Oh, and as for those "vee's" that Samantha is holding up, those are "deuces" she's throwin' up. As in: "peace, Ahm out." ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails