Saturday, September 28, 2019

Print Mixing Simplicity 8984

I'm trying to be more specific in my pattern buying.  Not just buying patterns because they're on sale, or I might want to make one because of how it looked on another sewist, or I want to read the instructions. So from the latest Simplicity Fall offerings I only bought three patterns.


All of them are on my fall to sew list. As I was choosing garments to add to my cut pile, I thought it would be great to add one of the new patterns. This one really jumped out at me.


I chose a lightweight pinstriped denim shirting purchased from BlackBird Fabrics last year for the tunic's base. Originally I was looking for a pleather scrap to add as an accent but touched the leftover scraps from this shirt and an idea was born. I love a floral/pinstripe match and there's just enough white in the background of the floral to "tie" both fabrics together. 


That was the genesis for this project. However, this is a new pattern so I'm sure you're wondering about pattern alterations. I started out by measuring my pattern pieces and cut a size 22. Got the top put together and realized that my head would never fit easily through the opening. Tried the top on and struggled to get it on and off. I needed an opening in the back so it's not such a struggle to get the top on.

I had to figure out how to make it work cause I wasn't giving up that print mix! I ended up adding strips that were the length of the bodice and 1.5" wide. Then I added a 11" invisible zipper which opens up the back and allows me to put the top on easily.


The raglan sleeves were wide enough for my bodacious biceps so no alterations were needed there. I didn't need to worry about a waistline since it's gathered. It is a relaxed fit pattern and one of the reasons I chose it.

(Just excuse the junky sewing cave background photos)

I was sure the tunic would fit now...ummm no!  This is how it looked on Daphne, the dressform, because I'm not putting a picture of how it looked on me on the interwebs. It was tight...a little too tight for my comfort. I was pissed! Pissed I tell you. I used good fabric and the last of my floral scraps to make this and now it wasn't wearable. 

So I folded it up and put it on the edge of my cutting table. As I was turning out the lights to go upstairs for the night, the pattern starting whispering to me to not give up on it. Long story short, I pulled another piece of fabric and decided I would make pattern alterations and remake the tunic. However that was the last night of my short vacay and the tunic/fabric/pattern sat.

Last weekend, I picked the tunic up to move it from the cutting table. I needed the space and realized maybe I didn't have to ditch it. Maybe it could be saved. I removed as much as I could from the side seams and the piece I inserted into the back. It gave me an additional 2" and took the bodice from tight to looser fitting.


It meant that I had to take the tunic apart...
- open and resew the side seams with a 3/8" seam allowance instead of 5/8"
- rip open the back side inserts
- reinsert the invisible zipper
- resew the seams with 3/8" seam allowances instead of 5/8"
- added the skirt back but put in small pleats instead of the gathering and like it so much better!


Tried it on and yes it works. It's not as loose as I've been making things (well in my head cause when I look at my back pics my dresses are fitted) but it works.


A couple more things...
* I omitted the pockets. I cut them out but it just seemed like too much on the tunic front.
* The back facings had to be recut since I changed the back opening. I made them longer to cover the zipper.
* After the facing was added, I topstitched it down.
* Two inches were cut off the bottom of the tunic and it was machine stitched with a one inch hem allowance. 

A Few Pictures ~





I'm glad I took the time to alter it and make it work. Honestly, when I finished I wasn't loving it. Though after my daughter photographed it, I was a lot happier with the top. I probably won't make this pattern again. There are just too many patterns and shirts to be made to work on a pattern that I'm only so-so about.

Along with finishing this up, I washed, dried and ironed a pile of fabric that will become more shirts and tunics. They will be coming to the blog soon.


...as always more later!




23 comments:

  1. Amazing perseverance and a lovely top. I really like the bright print with the dark stripe, it is a great combo.
    Hopefully you will enjoy wearing the top more once the pain of its birth has receded a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on a great save, carolyn! you're right about the pleats, they add a bit of class to the tunic.--anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned a lot from all your re-make comments. I'd not have looked at this top at all, but it looks so good on you that I might try it. How do you think it would work in a lightweight flannel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee Skippy! You made it work, Carolyn. I appreciate this posting as it shows us we CAN make it work if we really love the fabric. Thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great save on the top! The results were unexpected, I was thinking the ending was going to be "so I gave it to one of my daughters".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pleats instead of gathers do look nicer, IMO. I think it's wonderful that you were able to save this; it looks very good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this looks. Good for you to not add to the pile in the back of the closet. I hope I am not the only one with a pile in the back of the closet. I keep hoping my creations will speak to me but they just speak to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh! I try really hard to at least finish UFOs or leave them hanging in the sewing cave. Cause I don't want the "others" to talk to my finished garments...*smile*

      Delete
  8. I am always SO impressed by your work ethic. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tunic and how you followed your instincts with it. It is a really unusual tunic - both formal and casual at the same time, and a little bit Renaissance in feel. Thank you for featuring it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. IMO this is one of your prettiest "makes" and you look beautiful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it looks fab on you! Definitely plenty of room in there. This is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the print mix, I would love a button up in this fabric (the pinstripe)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q - then I guess I shouldn't tell you that I also have it in a medium blue pinstripe fabric too! *smile*

      Delete
  13. It is an adorable top on you. I'm glad you were able to get it to work for you. The pleats are a great change.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your first sentence really caught my eye -"I'm trying to be more specific in my pattern buying. Not just buying patterns because they're on sale" - I admit I bought a number of $1.99 patterns at Joann in the past. Now their pricing model has completely changed to $5.00 per pattern. I am going to "shop my stash" and get more inventive. As always, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised about the price change because that $1.99 price really wasn't sustainable. I guess a bean counter decided that if they sell fewer patterns at the higher price they actually make more money. I think sewists will become more discerning in what they purchase just wonder how that's going to affect the pattern companies on social media.

      Delete
  15. Really cute top. I am glad your perservered and made it work. But I know how much work it can be to bacically cut apart and resew a garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't plan to resew the entire thing, it just worked out that way but I am glad that I've grown enough in my sewing to do that.

      Delete
  16. LOVE the fact that you buy patterns to read the instruction - it's not just me, then! Taking out and redoing an invisible zip is serious dedication but worth it in this case, it's a great top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful fabric combination. You are getting so so good at blending fabs. The fit is awesome, onece again. Looks great,Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is it a Phoenix that rises from the ashes? In any case, this is great and I admire your perseverance - it really paid off. Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails