Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Hydrangea Panel Print Shirt

When I purchased this fabric I knew I wanted to make a shirt from it using my TNT shirt pattern. I wanted the full back so I could layer camis or turtlenecks under it in the winter. As well as, show as much of the panel's print as possible. This is a mash-up of two OOP shirt patterns (Vogue 7700 & Butterick 5678) but these patterns work for me. One of the two TNT versions I use to continue making a wardrobe of button up shirts.


This shirt is all about the fabric choice and my chance to fussy cut it to make what I envisioned.

Spreading out the panels at Zooks to see all of it

Supply List ~
3 100% cotton panels purchased from Zooks Fabrics in Lancaster, PA
Blue buttons from Nancy's Notions in Lancaster, PA
Interfacing from Steinlauf & Stoellers

I laid out the shirt pattern pieces on the crossgrain to insure the print would go in order around my body. Making sure that the tops of the pattern pieces showed the sky as well as the hydrangea print.



Then I used the the sky portion of the border print to cut out the collar, undercollar, front button bands and the sleeve cuffs. Using all the pieces of the panel to tell this shirt's story.



There are no new construction techniques in this make. However, I did add a little more to the body of the sleeve, about a 1/2" on either side. I wanted a big full sleeve for this shirt which I gathered into the cuffs. The cuffs are slightly smaller than my normal cuff which I think I will use in more makes going forward.

So a few pictures ~






Sorry, okay not sorry for the number of photos. My daughter outdid herself shooting this one.  I'm also so thrilled with how this shirt turned out. I've always loved "Art to Wear" garments and this shirt feels like a walking picture. I will definitely be on the lookout for more panels like this to make more shirts!  

Next on the blog is another shirt in the other piece of cotton I bought from Zooks when I purchased this one.  


...as always more later!

31 comments:

  1. Wow! That is stunning and it looks wonderful on you.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a bold, beautiful piece of fabric. Beautiful work and it looks gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want your shirt! ....No? Well, I guess I will have to make my own although I don't have fabric like that ! Right now, I am making up a few Bandana Dribble Bib patterns, free from Shabby Fabrics. I found the pattern yesterday evening. The daughter of a close friend is having a baby so I was excited about a project I could complete after what I consider a disaster with cotton jersey trying to make an outfit for the coming baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, and I like your hair like that! Your daughter did a fine job with the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing your layout photos also as that's very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've really nailed the fit on this, Carolyn. I love the improvement to the sleeve, perfect! Emmaonesock has some wonderful Dutch digital prints that fit what you are looking for. There is a fabulous rose pattern similar to this. You might want to check them out. These prints are such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a beautiful fit! And I really appreciated your layout photos as I could see somewhat how you altered patterns to fit you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fabric and shirt are Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colors for you Carolyn! Looks and fits great and you look so happy wearing it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! This beautiful shirt is a definite show stopper! Well done, Carolyn, on careful cutting to produce a spectacular garment. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love your wardrobe of shirts and have you can just envision the fabric being/doing what you want. I love the fuller sleeve gathered into the cuff. Do the cuffs button? I can't wait to see what you find at Zooks next. ;) g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they don't button and there's no reason why. When I was making the shirt I just wanted them that way.

      Delete
  13. I LOVE this shirt - and love that you used three panels to make it....you look fantastic in it. Never thought of doing that! Thanks for all the details...this is one I'm going to have to make for me! Deb E / CA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Caroline, this is gorgeous, oh the color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this shirt goes down as my favourite of all your shirts you've made. This one is stunning on you. Beautiful fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like this shirt on you! I am amazed at what a wonderful effect you were able to achieve with the layout of the pattern pieces!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Spectacular! You did such amazing work on this shirt. Love it. You look fabulous in your work of art. Thanks for your inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous shirt, you really used the fabric to great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So-o gorgeous. Perfect use of such beautiful fabric. Clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. the shirt not only suits your body but also your personality. you could wear this every day!--anne

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG what a showstopper of a shirt!!!! You lead us to challenge ourselves and think in a different way with borders and motifs...just inspiring as always!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am in love with this shirt of yours, the print is gorgeous! Looks great on you! ALso, I appreciate seeing how you laid out the pattern pieces on the fabric. You really took good advantage of the entire fabric. Best! - Marisela

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely GORGEOUS!! I love how it turned out. WOW! What an inspirational piece. It is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW....that is so pretty...I love the fab. Love hydrangeas they are so pretty & you did a beautiful job placing the pattern pieces to make the fab. just shine w the design...I like what you put together. Your projects always look good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love! Love! Love! These colors look fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I’m trying to get caught up on all the summer blog reading I missed while I was traveling, and you made so many great things this summer, but this is totally my favorite! I loooooooove the colors and the use of the print is fabulous. It looks so great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails