I've worn them but not photographed any of them because I just haven't felt like it...so they still have to come to the blog.
However, I was watching QVC at the end of April and saw a really cute shirt. It looked so much like my TNT shirt pattern that I thought I can make that...so I did. I'm sharing it on my dress form, Daphne, as I would wear it, because I still don't feel like taking pictures.
This post though is more about how I took pieces of my TNT shirt patterns to get the look of the inspiration photo.
Here is the Inspiration Photo ~
3 meters lightweight pinstripe denim that was in the collection
8 - 5/8" white buttons from the notions collection
20" of 1/4" elastic cut into 2 pieces of 10" elastic
Scraps of interfacing from the collection
Using my TNT shirt pattern with the back yoke and gathering is how I started this shirt journey. I've used this combination on numerous shirts because it gives me a looser fit on the back of the shirt while maintaining a more fitted shirt front.
For the front, I used my altered Vogue 8772 pattern fronts. I've changed it to remove the body darts, kept the bust darts and added some space to the front side seams. This shirt best showcases those changes, although I've used portions of this pattern in three other shirts.
The change that reflects the inspiration picture the most is the sleeves. I made this change to my pattern by cutting 3/4 length sleeves instead of long sleeves.
- Then I added 3/4" seam allowances to the hemline.
- Stitched them closed leaving an opening to insert the elastic.
- Inserted the elastic and stitched the seam allowance closed
- To finish the shirt - buttons and buttonholes were added to the front
- Then a small 1/2" hemline was machine stitched down.
My shirt is tunic length instead of the hip length of the original version. This is a personal preference. Y'all know I like the coverage so that's how I interpreted the look.
One more thing ~
This shirt has a huge faded area right on the front of the shirt which I noticed when the fronts were first sewn together. The faded spot appears no where else on the shirt so it won't be worn out of the house. I also have a bad collar insertion that normally would bother the heck out of me. In this instance however, I'm letting it go...since this is technically a wearable muslin.
...I just wanted to finish the shirt and see if the design changes would work.
A Few Pictures of the Tunic on Daphne ~
Maybe I will get around to photographing this on me later and if so I will drop those pictures in this post...but I wouldn't count on it since this really is a wearable muslin. I have a piece of medium weight denim set aside that I will use to make another one for fall/winter.
BTW, I have stirrings of my sewjo returning with a few ideas of things to make. One of my challenges has been now I'm working from home and don't feel the same way about dressing every day that I did when I went out to work. When I'm feeling that way I realize that I have loads of garments to choose from everyday.
But a wise friend of mine told me that I don't sew because I need to...I sew because I want to. I sew for the creativity and that's what fulfills me. So I may work on another "Inspired By" sew since I'm boycotting the sewing chain stores and not buying patterns.
...as always more later!