Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's All About the Fabric...

First, I would like to thank everyone who posted a comment in the, "Pretty and Professional" post. I appreciate all of your comments and your perspectives on the situation. It helped me greatly to be able to post about it...so thanks again!

Second, I will post "how I did-its" this weekend...as I stated in my dress post, I just sewed the dress...I didn't take any construction pics...so I will have to make some samples to show you how I made the box pleats on the bottom of the dress.

Tonight I was on Style.com because I read an article about Carolina Herrara in this month's More Magazine and admittedly I was looking for a little inspiration...not that I don't have a list of dresses that I want to make now...but I was looking anyway! What I found in Carolina's section was interesting but it wasn't floating my boat...

So I changed directions and tried Chado Ralph Rucci...I mean if you can't find any inspiration from this man...*throwing my hands up in the air* there is just nothing there to help you! *sigh*

Then I got to this picture:

photo credits: http://www.style.com/

And I realized what my sewing has been about for the last few weeks..."it's all about the fabric, baby!" Even some of the garments that I have lined up in my mind...that are banging at each other trying to make it from flat fold fabric into a wearable piece in my wardrobe...is about the fabric first and the design second.

If you've been reading my ramblings for any length of time, you know that I LOVE fabric. Nothing makes me happier than a great piece of fabric...especially one that has some detail to it...a piece of fabric that once cut up can be transformed into something magical and unique!

So even as I've attempted to try sewing patterns other than my TNT, time and time again it's the fabric that makes the garment sing...






And I have some even more amazing pieces of fabric waiting on deck for their chance to become a garment, because it's all about the fabric, baby!!!

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this. Rarely does a picture of an outfit inspire me. It always starts with the fabric for me. Some things just sit up and tell me what they want to be! The orange satin dress I am making for JCC jumped into my hands at the store and when I got it home, it opened Threads magazine and all but pointed to the Go Patterns dress. Today I saw purple and chocolate paisley jersey that demanded to be made into a Diane Von Furstenburg style wrap dress. What's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like fabric?? Really, I hadn't noticed!! :)

    Can't wait to see what's up next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, I know exactly where you are coming from. All I need to do is look at my stash and I get inspired and excited--that's what tempted me to buy certain fabrics in the first place. The fabrics speak to me telling me what they want to be. Because the fabrics talk to me a lot, my stash is quite large. When looking at ads and editorials in the fashion magazines, it's usually the fabrics that motivate me, not the designs. The designs are the direction the fabrics are telling me to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I just love that upper left fabric. Your are very good at combining fabrics, not my strong suit and I love seeing what you put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do re mi,
    Let the fabric sing. It's a visceral kind of inspiration. Has to do with the tactile as well as the visual, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hear, hear! Thank goodness for our proximity to the garment district, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that it's all about the fabric! I love my fabric! :-) And I just read your "pretty and professional" post. I think that people who dress with flair probably have personalities with flair. You could dress like the rest of them in the "executive professional" but your personality can't be trapped. So don't fight it! Adorn yourself if whatever finery complements your mental style and shine!

    jodi (new to stitchers guild and thanks for a great blog!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails