Wednesday, June 04, 2008

They're Here!

Actually they have been here since Monday...but I've rolled in the house quite late the last two evenings so I'm just getting around to showing them off!


Of course when they arrived in a big ole post office bag, I was in pig heaven. Immediately I could tell the ones that I was going to work with the actual pattern vs. the ones that will be used for inspiration only.

I surprised myself because I actually only bought two of the "Ethel Mertz" wide skirted dresses and I had forgotten that I bought three mail order patterns. So the four patterns above will somehow, someway make it into my work wardrobe...and they are:

1. A mail order printed pattern that has an unusual neck opening and a side pocket opening. The pattern is a size 24 1/2 so I should be able to do something with that and I am looking forward to the adventure.

2. Another mail order printed pattern ~ this one is a sleeveless dress with a placket front and some interesting pockets in the front. The construction for these pockets are awesome!

3. McCalls 6011 is a slim dress with a paneled skirt and a short jacket with 3/4 sleeves (circa 1961). It also has a cut-out neckline that's different! There are 21 pieces in this pattern to make two pieces!!!

4. Simplicity 8491 has the best details! It is a sheath dress with an interesting seaming detail on the front and this really kewl belt. This one is circa 1969 and so me, that I have to keep reminding myself that I have 4 pieces for the JCC to sew first before I can think about this one!

So the patterns are here and the ideas are swirling, I just need some time to work on "My Summer of Sophisticated Dressing" dresses.

18 comments:

  1. Carolyn, would you mind if I asked you a couple of what are probably dumb questions ? I'm a newbie (as these questions will confirm) and I've joined the coat sewalong Marji is hosting (yup, very optimistic !).
    We're suppose to prep our fabric this month and I've got wool flannel. I'd like to use the "steam the heck out of it" method you posted about - and I think I missed something. You mention lots of water in the iron and press the cotton batiste til it's dry - the questions are:
    1) are you useing the steam button on the iron while you are pressing the wet cotton batiste cloth - if so, will it actually dry it if you are steaming it ?
    2) your notes were for wool crepe, will this work on wool flannel as well ?
    My apologies for just barging in & thanks alot for your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry, I also meant to tell you I've been reading faithfully for the past 6 months or so and I love everything you put together, your outfits are very inspiring...one day I'll get there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire - I'm in the Great Coat Sew Along and my steam press method is for wool crepe. I have never used it for anything else. I haven't read the GCSA blog in awhile but I think there are methods listed there for pre-treating the fabrics...I would go with those methods because they are the experts. I haven't made a coat since I was 17, so I'm learning just like you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bunch of patterns.I'm looking forward to your "Summer of Sophisticated Dresses" collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent - she's finally succumbed to the charms of the vintage pattern...my plans have almost come to fruition (picture me laughing manically). Seriously though, you know I love a good vintage pattern, so I love that you will be working with them too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the midst of using your steam the heck out of it on some doublefaced wool. I think that it will be fine. I have never had a problem with similar methods and yours adds quite a lot of steam, more than I have used in the past. I am writing during the wait 2 minutes phase!
    Where did you get your patterns? Are they plus sized or will you grade up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to ask what pattern and fabric you are using for the coat sew along? I thought I saw your name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love vintage....the patterns, fabrics, buttons, anything that reminds me of the 70's and prior. I especially love childrens vintage. I can't wait to see your creations from these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The "other Claire" checking in here. I can't wait to see what you do with these vintage patterns. I fully expect to be inspired to pull out some of mine later this summer.
    Those are interesting patterns. I'm finally learning to really look at the details and not just the overall effect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn, welcome to the wonderful treasure trove of vintage patterns. I got bitten a few months ago and love searching ebay, the pattern sites, etc. Now on to sewing more things... Have fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great patterns! I really like the jacket in the McCall's 6011. I'm looking forward to seeing your version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much pattern goodness! Can't wait to see what comes out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the new goodies; especially the Simplicity. Where are you finding these beauties--in larger sizes no less?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the new patterns. I especially want to see (at least in muslin if you're not ready to dedicate it in fabric) the silhouette presented in the 2pc dress/jacket pattern here, on you. It's not something you typically wear, but I think it has real possibilities of being flattering.
    And, the details on the Simplicity are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. May I horn in on your blog for a minute?
    for those requesting sources for Vintage patterns, In your comments,
    I compiled a pretty complete list, with links, of vintage sellers (outside of ebay) for the vintage contest on PR last month. see it here

    I'll email you the list formatted with the links so you can post it if you want.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carolyn, I love the idea of the sophisticated sewing. I was looking through an old McCalls (circa 1950) pattern magazine. The dresses are so classy. The "college" outfits are dressier than you would see an executive wearing today! I can't wait to see what you will do with the vintage patterns.
    Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Carolyn, you have a real treasure in your hands... Those patterns are TDF!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails