Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Gelato Collection - Number 7


...that's garment number 7...which is the yellow silk/cotton paisley print 4 gore skirt. Can I just say that this is the softest, drapiest fabric...and wonderful to work with! There are still 3 pages of it on Fabric Mart's site and it is marked off 30% during the entire website sale!

Commercial break over...some stats:

Fabric:
2 yards Silk/cotton yellow paisley print
2 yards yellow ambiance rayon lining

Notions:
1 yard 1" wide non-roll elastic

As I said previously, this is a simple sew. I've made so many of these skirts that I can sew it on autopilot. However, I did make a change to the way I applied the lining in this particular skirt. Normally, I place the lining's wrong side to the skirt's wrong side and baste the two pieces together. Then I fold the casing for the elastic over into the interior of the skirt and stitch it down.


For this skirt, I placed the wrong side of the lining to the right side of the skirt. I then stitched the two together....pressed the seam open and flipped the lining inside the skirt.



Pressed the lining and fashion fabric flat to make a finished edge for the elastic casing. It makes for a much cleaner application. I will probably use this finish more in the future than the quicky way I've been doing it. After inserting the elastic and stitching the casing closed, I did a simple machine stitched hem and the skirt was finished.

I'm glad that I found a way to use this piece of fabric especially since this is my last yellow piece and garment for the season. I think I've worn the color yellow out! *LOL*

Here's a photo of how I wore the lime green & white herringbone skirt to work yesterday:


...as always...more later!












28 comments:

  1. I absolutely love herringbone! You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both skirts are darling. Isn't it nice to have patterns that you can do on autopilot? I like the lining treatment that you did on the yellow skirt; nice touch!

    I'm looking forward to seeing what the next collection will be, now that you're done with yellow...what will inspire the mind of Carolyn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tip on the waistband . . . I must remember to try this. I noted that the silk/cotton prints on Fabric.com's website all say "dry clean only" . . . do you intend to dry clean these skirts? I hate to dry clean anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty oufits!

    So, when are you planning on starting your fall sewing? I barely started sewing summer stuff and I'm already itching to bust out the wool and cashmere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The waistband tip is helpful. thanks. I love the skirts with the lining. I can't go now without adding a lining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lookin' good, C. Can I ask that you please stop naming your collections after sweets?! I get hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful outfits, you look fresh and cool for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in total agreement with Nancy. Can't wait to see the next series. You've inspired me to start sewing for myself again with this series. Heck, I even bought some yellow fabric last week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute skirts. I love the paisley print especially. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice.. I love both outfits...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! Both outfits look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely outfits. Everytime I see you wearing that jacket I think about the one I've had cut for 2 years now. Guess I should finally sew it :) g

    ReplyDelete
  13. The green skirt is great with the top, and that yellow fabric is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice. Those outfits can go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look great. I love both of the skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the skirts and the names are very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love the paisley and am going to get some for myself. It's gorgeous and looks like it wears so well. The lime outfit is perfect and is such a fresh summer look. Thanks for showing us the garments being worn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your outfits looks fabulous and so summery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea for making the inside of the skirt look so much neater! I wouldn't have thought of it, & you can be sure I'll use the same method the next time I have elastic to insert at the waist. As always, you are a very creative sewer!

    Rosalind

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love your yellow print skirt. Just as cute on you as hanging on the hanger. The green is adorable too. Both of these are winners.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! You really took advantage of that print. The separates totally work on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love them both more now that I've seen them in ensemble version. That elastic waist finish is really nice, simple, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look so good in both outfits. It almost!!?? makes me miss teaching so I can dress up every day.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such an inspiration! I must get back to sewing. I am so jealous, it takes me forever to finish just one little item!

    Love your last two outfits.

    Janice from WI

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love both outfits. That green is awesome. That fabric looks luscious1

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carolyn, I love the lining/casing tip! What a great idea! I love those sorts of realizations that come to me when I've made the same garment a few times and suddenly find a quicker, cleaner or simpler way of doing something. I'll be using this one! Thanks for all your inspiration!

    Sherry in Little Rock

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails