Saturday, July 25, 2009

I cried today...

This was not the original title for this post...it was suppose to be something about how I spent my day. But when I got home this afternoon...I called my mother to tell her about a portion of my day and instead spent time telling her about why I cried...and she understood and I cried again! *LOL*

Okay so my day started this way...out to the corner at 9:15am to catch the bus to NYC.

Arrive in NYC and head off to Elegant Fabrics to pick up some lining fabric for Vogue 8596 which I'm planning on working on tomorrow. Then I'm walking down Seventh Avenue past Madison Square Garden headed for FIT when I feel this tap on my shoulder...yeap, the wonderous LindseyT has shown up! We are off to see the Isabel Toledo exhibit...



Can I just tell you that IF you are coming into the city before September 26th you MUST see the exhibit! Isabel has such an interesting way of looking at garment construction, fabric manipulation and use of embellishment. There were three things that I took away from the exhibit that you will probably see in future garments! I love that when a designer's view point can inspire me to create something of my own...not just copy it but to put into my own voice...anyway, go see the exhibit! It is exhilarating!

So I have to tell you this is when I cried...when you enter the exhibit Michelle Obama's Inaugural Outfit is the first thing you see in the lobby. Unlike all of the other garments, this is totally encased in glass. As I stood there and looked at it...the momentousness of the Obamas in the White House hit me again and I started to cry...this in my mother's lifetime! It is just amazing...and like I said I cried again when I shared it with my mother...whose own grandparents where freed slaves from South Carolina...just like Michelle Obama's...*sigh*

Next Lindsay and I headed over to the DVF store because we had both read the NYTimes Article about her company and wanted to see the shop...so we walked over to 14th Street and Washington Avenue. It was a great afternoon for walking...lovely weather...a good friend...great conversation...and a desire to see more fashion!

Before we got to DVF, we stopped at a few other stores Moschino primary amongst them. I think this is where we both found some new creative ideas for our sewing...and yes, Lindsey I'm ordering horsehair braid off the internet this week! The Michelle Obama white bowtie blouse was there so we got to see it upclose and personal as well as some other kewl pieces.

Lunch...more conversation and then a cab ride up to Mood. Okay...this is where I apologize. See I've been hating on Mood for years. Didn't care that Project Runway filmed there and that others loved it...I'd just had several bad experiences in the store so I haven't been back! Lindsay was determined to change all of that! And I have to say that the Mood I experienced today was very different from the Mood of yesteryear! It is an amazing, brightly lit store that is well-organized with signage and loads of helpful (yes I said helpful) salespeople.

We hit two floors and for someone who moans everytime I post pictures of more fabric...Lindsay was more than willing to encourage me to buy some! For a time I carried around a bolt of silk that was a muted green/blue/ivory print that would work sooooo well in my corporate lifestyle...that fabric made my heart sing. But Lindsay was looking for coating fabric so we headed to the second floor and there we found an amazing wool that made my heart stop! Since I would only commit to one new piece of fabric (hey, I've been digging around in that fabric closet alot lately and well I just don't NEED a whole lot more! *LOL*) this wool piece was the one to come home with me! But did Lindsay buy anything nope...nada...zippo! Just encouraged me to purchase everything in sight! ROTFLOL!


Next up was Pacific Trims...now I've been to Pacific several times but I have to tell you that everytime I go there...I have to take a minute and reorient myself...there is just sooooo much to see and touch there! My standby trim joint is Daytona Trimmings and I know where everything is...I can go, make a decision, purchase and be out of there in 30 minutes. PT is a whole nuther story! I bought some buttons and some lace to add to the bottom of the lining of the Vogue dress...wandered around and reaquainted myself with the store and watch Lindsay buy TWO yards of cording! Yeap that's it folks the "Queen of Enabling" bought two yards and stuffed it into her purse...whilst I'm carrying a shopping bag of stuff...

We separated shortly thereafter but I have to tell you that I had a wonderful time with my friend...at the exhibit...snoop shopping...and buying fabric! It was a very good day!




p.s. The Simplicity Pattern 2522 is an exact replica of the First Lady's dress...I mean if you want to make one of your own!

24 comments:

  1. Your day sounds wonderful. I need me a day like that. Thanks for the information on the pattern. I think I am going to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, special day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you all make me totally green...I wish I was there - beautiful day and with sewing friends who don't mind if you spend a couple of hours in a fabric store...usually I'm with someone and I can only spend an hour - what torture.

    But alas if I can not be there in person, I can live vicariously through you all!!! Sounds like marvelous fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what a great post and I will not hold it against you that now I have nothing to write. I forgot that we didn't look for horsehair braid at Pacific! Let me know your online source. And yeah, let's do this again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who is mostly stuck shopping at Fabricland, I'm just a *wee* bit envious. It sounds like you had a fabulous day that won't soon be forgotten.

    PS...can't wait to see what magic you'll create with the new wool. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a beautiful day and look forward to what becomes of your wool piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely day you two had. Thanks for sharing it with us; you've made me smile. I'm envious of you having sewing buddies nearby, not to mention great fabric stores. I just have to live vicariously through blogs like yours! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for letting us out-of-towners live vicariously through your wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad it was the good kind of crying! And, of course, I am green with envy that you were able to see the Toledo exhibit.

    That's an amazing piece of fabric. I can't wait to see what you make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous day! Glad you and Lindsay had a great time. I would have cried too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice way to spend a day...with good company doing what you enjoy.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful day! Sigh. I am so jealous and your post captures each moment. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Toledo exhibit was amazing. I can't remember the last time I was so inspired looking at a collection of clothing by any designer.

    Carolyn, I totally get why you cried. I saw a couple of kids yesterday wearing tshirts with the Obama family on them, and I thought that was wonderful - when was the last time we had a first family who inspired people enough to put them on a tshirt - and not to mock? I admit I misted up a bit myself, both looking at the Obama coat and for your reasons, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carolyn, What a wonderful day you had! I understand why you cried! It is such a momentous time in our history. It's a bout time that we see each other from the inside out instead of the other way around!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful day. At the Puyallup Sew Expo in February, my sisters and I talked to the women from Simplicity and they said they were doing a pattern for the wonderful outfit that Michelle Obama wore. It's nice to see that it has finally appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great day you had! I wish I lived close enough to take advantage of seeing this exhibit. No, the only exhibit I will be seeing in my area is the Farm Show, which I can pretty much guarantee I won't be seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful day! Of course I can completely see why you would cry, and it is a good kind of crying after all.

    I must get in to NYC to see the Isabel Toledo exhibit. And I'm glad you fond a piece of fabric at Mood. I've like Mood for quite a while, but also know that this is partly because I managed to hook up with one particular salesperson my first visit, a salesperson who always seems to find exactly what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where was my invite to this party? Just kidding. What a fabulous day. I am impressed with Lindsay T's restraint, but must confess to the same kind of buying when I am with other sewists. The inspiration is too much to defend against.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being from New York I understand the charm of being in the city, but doing with a friend and that you both share a love of something makes it Awesome. I recently moved out of New York and to Virginia with my husbnd and children so I am not close to NYC but I have not found any friends to share my love of fabric and fiber with. My friends I work with think all my 4 corners are definetly sharp and pointed. BUT WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK IT IS DEFINETLY WHAT I THINK. So with that being said I would have cried with you and Lindsay and probably would have had equally as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a question about that Simplicity dress. I've been looking at it as I love that overdress in particular but where is the bust seam supposed to go? Under the bust? Across the bust? Above the bust? I think that bustier women like myself have to watch out with seams like that. I think they can look like your shirt is simply too small if you get it in the wrong place. But that one looks in the picture like it's supposed to go right across the middle of the bust. Any thoughts about that style?

    ReplyDelete
  21. That definitely sounds like a wonderful day. Nothing beats fashion, fabric, food and shopping and you got it all done in one day. I'm hankering for NYC and would like to visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What big fun you had. I wish could make a trip to NYC before September 26th. Love the picture of you and Lindsay T.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Someone recently pointed me to this short video of Isabel and Ruben talking about the exhibit, etc. Enjoy!

    http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/06/video_a_tour_of_isabel_toledo.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails