Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Workings of a Fanatical Mind

So I'm on my iTouch perusing the Resort 2010 collection of Chado Ralph Rucci on Style.com...I really like this dress by the way:



...and I come across these words...

"The MO at Chado is the careful refining and evolution of Ralph Rucci's now signature techniques like suspension and slot seams. His customers like it that way (and so, apparently, do aficionados of Vogue Patterns. Rucci's are the number one seller in all categories—who knew?). Loyal clients and sew-it-yourself types won't be disappointed with Rucci's Resort collection, but he might win some new fans with his uncharacteristically sunny palette."

Isn't that like the kewlest! It's been going round in round in my head since I read it!

Then I made this to keep from buying a piece of fabric:



I have one more dress to add to the pic...but I'm feeling good about this entire Gelato collection now that's it almost done...and Nan to answer your question...orange is up next! I already have two orange pieces in my summer wardrobe but orange is a good transition color for summer into fall. I don't plan on making as many pieces for the "Orangina Collection" as I've made for the Gelato Collection. I'm also still playing with some of the fabric and pattern choices in my mind...so I don't have anything on paper yet...I don't want to torture myself because I need to finish the last pieces of Gelato.

Finally, after a rough day yesterday...I came home to find these in the mailbox:



These are from my wonderful sewing friend Sharon...who must know where to find any vintage pattern on earth! This is what really sent me whirling...



I've always wanted a Vogue American Designer pattern and even though I search religiously I've never found an affordable plus size one. The awesomely amazing Sharon found me this Oscar de la Renta pattern in a size 20.5!!! Somehow I will have to incorporate this into my fall sewing! Thanks Sharon!

Lastly, I've spent today struggling with my fabric demons...they want me to place an order for more of the silk/cotton blends from Fabric Mart...that's down to two pages worth, btw...but I held strong and resisted...for now *sigh*

More later!


17 comments:

  1. I hope you're going to knock that dress off because I can really see you in it. I'm usually not a Ralph Rucci fan, but I quite like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're channelling RR's sunny palette with your gelato collection! How interesting about the RR Vogue Patterns - where did you get that from, I'd love to know more of their sales stats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that sheath dress, I just got a similar pattern, that could be modified to incorporate some of those details.

    If I had to pinpoint a specific designer regarding inspiration of technique for my art garments, it would have to be RR. The details in his collections are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how cohesive and coordinated the whole collection is. How you manage to stay with the plan all the way through always amazes me :-)

    And I agree, that Oscar pattern is fabulous! Are we going to see it made up soon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that also on Style.com! I was thrilled and it doesn't surprise me in the least. The CRR show at FIT was one of the most incredible fashion exhibits I've ever seen. And don't you just love looking at fashion shows on your iTouch? I like it much better than sitting at my PC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a nice blog and you are very creative too. Bon courage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orange and salmon have been calling out to me lately, too. Those colors will look amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gelato collection looks wonderful on you, like a ray of sunshine! I am a big RR fan too. His details send me swooning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ralph Rucci *sigh* I love his designs. He is, without a doubt, my favourite modern designer. He simply cannot do any wrong.

    Lovin' the Gelato collection - looking forward to the Orangina Collection. But, step away from the purchase button - do you really need more fabric?? Hmm??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing the Gelato collection in one pictorial spread made me smile! Great stuff! And why haven't I seen that Oscar de la Renta pattern before? It's such a classic! Anxious to see your orangina collection, you can never have too much orange!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carolyn, I just had a thought... Looking at the Rucci dress, you could do a transitional piece to take the gelato group toward fall by using the yellow as trim on a gray (or similar) piece. That would look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Rucci dress is fabulous! I've been thinking that I need some fab added to my career wardrobe...

    And Carolyn, I'm tickled pink that the Oscar de la Renta is a pattern that made you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pieces. I like yellow and orange in the fall and winter, as well as summer. Winter garments can look really "blah". A nice wool jacket in bright yellow or orange in the winter is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that dress!!!! I also lurve Ralph Rucci, his designs are so clean. I'm not a BMV member but need to rethink that. I know, I know, I know the craft store that masquerades as a fabric store will have them on sale soon and you are right they may not have my size. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Gelato Collection is stunning! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Gelato Collection Carolyn! And I can't wait to see your interpretation of the Ralph Rucci dress. Thanks again for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How interesting that RR's patterns are Vogue's bestsellers. I, too, have purchased most of them, even though I doubt I'll make many/any, I just want to have them to investigate the pattern sheets and techniques!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails