Sunday, July 10, 2011

Vogue 1179 or Donna Karan does it again!

I'd seen this pattern made up by various other sewists...but I figured that it would end up looking like a tent or a muu muu on me since even though it went up to a size 22, the finished measurements made it a slim 22.  It wasn't until Rachelle had her Vogue 1179 orgy that I gave the pattern a real thought.  Seriously, I've passed over this pattern during several Club BMV sales because I just didn't think it would work for me.  Boy was I wrong!


Stats:

Fabric:
One of the trendy jersey knits from Fabric Mart*

Notions:
Several yards of stay tape

Pattern Alterations/Construction:
1.  Since the finished measurements on the pattern are less at the hipline (54") than at the waistline (56 1/2"), I decided to pivot and slide both the front and back pattern pieces to give me additional room in the waist and hip.  This way I wouldn't change the neckline of the garment, where it fit me fine but I would definitely gain some much needed space in my abdomen and hip area.

2.  I added one inch to the hemline when I cut it out.

3.  The construction for this pattern is very straightforward and simple...especially since there are only three pattern pieces.  I love that the pattern instructions tell you to stabilize the shoulder area with clear elastic although I used my standard stay tape.

4.  I also stabilized the neckline with the stay tape when applying the cowl neck.  I did this because of my fabric choice.  I've heard that some of these rayon jerseys from Fabric Mart grow and grow and grow.  Since there are only shoulder, side and the neckline seams to this dress, I really didn't want the cowl neck to grow during the day as the knit got heavier.  The stay tape should prevent that from happening.  My only concern with using the stay tape was that it might make the neckline difficult to get the dress on...but that ended up being a non-issue.


5.  I did not put the 4" hem in as suggested by the pattern instructions.  One I NEVAH wear anything that short (above my knees) and two I wanted to wear the dress to work so it needed to be the appropriate length.  Instead I just pressed up an inch and added a twin stitched hem to it.

And that is it...the construction of this dress is so simple and easy for the awesome look that you end up with.  The only word of caution I would have would to be to carefully mark and pin your pleats in the front...otherwise this is just a fantastically easy dress to make.


This is the second DKNY dress that I've made this summer that I'm absolutely in love with.  It truly is the shape of her pattern pieces that allow so many different body types to make these dresses and look so good in them!  I've already thought up how to add some sleeves to it using a ponte knit for a fall version.  I just wish that Vogue had come up with some of these designs for its fall line...*sigh*


Thanks Rachelle for making several of these and showing me the way! *LOL*  And I promise no more fabric wasted on another Connie Crawford pattern especially when I have all of these wonderful DKNY designer dresses...right!

I'm still working on the PYT dress...it's all cut out and waiting for it's pieces to go through the serger.  There will be an update on it later this week...but it probably won't be finished until next weekend since it's quite a bit more involved than these knit dresses have been.

...and as always, more later!


*They are still 20% off with an additional 20% through tomorrow!  Can't beat that for a bargain!!!

61 comments:

  1. Fantastic dress with so little stress!!!!
    It looks so good on you, even better than the model on the envelope!
    Thank you for adding all the personal changes you made to your pattern as many of us would do the same for our shapes.
    Killer fabric, flattering shape...what else would one want?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress, it looks fantastic on you. I will have to check out that pattern and heading to look at the fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great on you! I already decided a couple of weeks ago that Rachelle should just give me her pattern list and plans so I can copy her. I've been loving everything she makes lately, and now with your version of this pattern, I'm doubly sold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty dress and great print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, you look wonderful! So great when a great pattern is easy to make... Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great dress and very sophisticated fabric choice. I think these Donna Karan dresses are genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful pattern. I made it in a red and white print and I love the ease of wear. And...this afternoon I cut it out in a black knit. I think it will be a good LBD. I love the fabric you used and the dress looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are totally right - this dress looks great on you. The waist shaping is just right, and you look FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress is gorgeous on you! Very flattering. I see more in your future...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great dress and the neckline is so fun and flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how this looks on you. Makes me want to run out and buy the pattern. You look great. Beautiful choice of fabric and the fit is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great dress. I love your version, as well as Rachelle's. I will definitely have to grab this pattern at the next sale.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is a really great dress on you. Like you I am currently in awe of all the DK patterns I have tried, this one isn't in my collection and that just might have to change!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look great in that dress. Very flattering. Love your material choice. You should make it again it looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are quite welcome to steal my fashion sense! LOL. You look fantastic in this dress. Glad I could be a good influence on you. I wore one of mine today. I think I have to make at least one more before the season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty dress, and you look fantastic in it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dress is beautiful on you. Love the print, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my favorite version so far (and I have made this one myself. lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its been said already, but you look great in this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice! Great neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dress looks great! It's very flattering on you.

    I passed it over too because of my extreme pear shape. I wonder if any pears on the web have made it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks fantastic! I have made that pattern twice now - actually, I'm wearing a wool jersey version of it today over a long sleeved top and leggings which is great for winter - and my summer version is one of my favourite dresses. Definitely a great dress for all sorts of shapes. Glad that you've given it a go (and I've recently bought the other DKNY pattern and can't wait to try it too).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely dress... I like the neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sometimes it's okay to be proved wrong, isn't it?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another winner. Those Trendy rayon knits from FM have the cutest print designs. I think they're comfortable to wear but always add a lining to mine. No growing so far. The dress looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look awesome in this dress. It is so flattering :))

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the dress and you made it in one of my favorite colors, black & white. I might give this pattern a try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. gorgeous Carolyn! I've been very busy lately with just life but yesterday I cleared out my sewing area. And when Miss will your sewing room photos be up I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  29. When I saw that you'd recently purchased this pattern I was hoping you'd make it up soon--I love the print you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is one of those great patterns - easy to sew and completely flattering to wear. You can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Isnt't this a great pattern!!! I love mine and keep thinking about making another one. I've been eyeballing some black/white for it too. I love your version.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another beautiful and inspiring creation on your dress!! Love it!
    You've nailed the "Michelle Obama" look!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks great and has such a great easy-to-wear-summer vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is one of the best dresses you have ever made. The fabric is perfect. The style is perfect. The fit is perfect!!! I'd say you scored a fab, new TNT.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fabulous dress! I love it! It looks so good on you. g

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another great dress! This looks fabulous on you!! Did you line this dress? Do you have any tips for lining knit dresses with different necklines like this one or the other DK dress?

    JudyP

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, your dress looks so good. I've always passed over that pattern b/c I thought it wouldn't be flattering on me. But I might just give it a try now. Donna Karan patterns really seem to look good on just about everyone.

    I also have some of those Trendy knits for tops. I thought they would be too thin for dresses, but now I'm reconsidering that, too.

    Thanks for sharing your amazing work. It's very inpsirational to us fellow seamstresses.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow Carolyn! That is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! This is a great look!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Didn't that boundry pushing turn out well! You have to make that one again, it is so flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The dress looks awesome on you!! Love the fabric and the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That is fabulous! I don't know how Vogue sold a copy of the pattern based on the envelope photo. You make that dress look great! Thanks for the link to KMQ's blog. Don't know how I've missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Another winnah! Love it Carolyn. I also keep passing this one by thinking it would be unflattering on my figure. But of course now that I've seen yours I want one too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. This dress looks marvelous! Love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This dress is one of my favourites on you. It looks great. Very flattering, very stylish and very comfortable - the perfect dress.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Carolyn, this dress is SO lovely on you! Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love this dress! The fabric is great! You look so pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gorgeous summer dress, so flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This really does work for you! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great choice of fabric! This is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Yes, you're right. This pattern is a definite keeper. Your version is absolutely stunning. I love it! It fits you like a dream and looks SO NICE!!! I'm actually off to make this one (again) myself.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Isn't this the totally best dress pattern ever? What I like most about it is that you have to have curves to make it work and it really makes the most of those curves. Now I have to cut out another version for myself this weekend. We need to see this kind of style in the fall catalogues.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I adore this dress and it looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This dress looks AMAZING on you! I LOVE IT!!!Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love, love, love this dress! This is one of my favorite patterns! I've made this three times, one dress, two top versions and I think I'm due for another dress!! Beautiful dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I don't know what I was doing to miss this post but I saw it on PR today. I love this dress and how you did the neckline. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I'm just scrolling through all the makes of this pattern from the PR site with the hopes of making it again. I love this version. It's so simple and chic. Do you still have it and wear it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's still in my closet and I did wear it last summer. I'm still too chicken to try a lot of my summer clothes on since they will have to go in the donate bin. I would definitely make this again!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails