I'd seen this pattern made up by various other sewists...but I figured that it would end up looking like a tent or a muu muu on me since even though it went up to a size 22, the finished measurements made it a slim 22. It wasn't until Rachelle had her Vogue 1179 orgy that I gave the pattern a real thought. Seriously, I've passed over this pattern during several Club BMV sales because I just didn't think it would work for me. Boy was I wrong!
One of the trendy jersey knits from Fabric Mart*
Several yards of stay tape
1. Since the finished measurements on the pattern are less at the hipline (54") than at the waistline (56 1/2"), I decided to pivot and slide both the front and back pattern pieces to give me additional room in the waist and hip. This way I wouldn't change the neckline of the garment, where it fit me fine but I would definitely gain some much needed space in my abdomen and hip area.
2. I added one inch to the hemline when I cut it out.
3. The construction for this pattern is very straightforward and simple...especially since there are only three pattern pieces. I love that the pattern instructions tell you to stabilize the shoulder area with clear elastic although I used my standard stay tape.
4. I also stabilized the neckline with the stay tape when applying the cowl neck. I did this because of my fabric choice. I've heard that some of these rayon jerseys from Fabric Mart grow and grow and grow. Since there are only shoulder, side and the neckline seams to this dress, I really didn't want the cowl neck to grow during the day as the knit got heavier. The stay tape should prevent that from happening. My only concern with using the stay tape was that it might make the neckline difficult to get the dress on...but that ended up being a non-issue.
5. I did not put the 4" hem in as suggested by the pattern instructions. One I NEVAH wear anything that short (above my knees) and two I wanted to wear the dress to work so it needed to be the appropriate length. Instead I just pressed up an inch and added a twin stitched hem to it.
And that is it...the construction of this dress is so simple and easy for the awesome look that you end up with. The only word of caution I would have would to be to carefully mark and pin your pleats in the front...otherwise this is just a fantastically easy dress to make.
This is the second DKNY dress that I've made this summer that I'm absolutely in love with. It truly is the shape of her pattern pieces that allow so many different body types to make these dresses and look so good in them! I've already thought up how to add some sleeves to it using a ponte knit for a fall version. I just wish that Vogue had come up with some of these designs for its fall line...*sigh*
Thanks Rachelle for making several of these and showing me the way! *LOL* And I promise no more fabric wasted on another Connie Crawford pattern especially when I have all of these wonderful DKNY designer dresses...right!
I'm still working on the PYT dress...it's all cut out and waiting for it's pieces to go through the serger. There will be an update on it later this week...but it probably won't be finished until next weekend since it's quite a bit more involved than these knit dresses have been.
...and as always, more later!
*They are still 20% off with an additional 20% through tomorrow! Can't beat that for a bargain!!!