Friday, August 19, 2011

The Summer of the Knit Dress

Until this spring/summer I never sewed alot of knit dresses...maybe one or two a season but never as many as I've made this year.  I'm actually a little surprised because this is really stepping outside my comfort zone to wear and own this many knit dresses.  However, all of the real applause goes to Vogue Patterns.  Their spring/summer offerings were just awesome and not only did I purchase quite a few patterns...for a change I actually made quite a few of them too! 

Recapping the knit parade...

The star for me was Vogue 1250.  I made four of them...

left to right: black 'n white ponte knit, black 'n gray knit,
Anna Sui border print knit and a buttermilk knit from EOS

I absolutely love these dresses and have worn them all more than once this summer.  They are comfortable to wear, professional enough for my job and always garner compliments.  I still want just one more in a black knit...

I used my TNT pattern to make a couple of knit dresses...the first from a cotton pique knit purchased from GStreet Fabrics in Rockville, MD on the great fabric shopping adventure.


and the second from a striped knit from Elliot Berman in NYC.


The next one ended up being one of my favorite dresses of the summer.  It's the Christine Jonson princess seam dress...


Then another DKNY dress stole my heart...Vogue 1179...a pattern that I would like to use again before the cold breezes of winter touch me...


Finally an oldie but goodie out of print Vogue pattern slipped in...Vogue 9245 from an ITY knit...



I've learned a few things from the summer of knit dresses...

1.  As a plus size woman I can wear knit dresses in more styles than I previously thought.

2.  That knit dresses are a fast and gratifying sew...much less involved than some of my woven dresses.

3.  That half slips don't always work well with knit fabrics...so I'm gonna have to go back to lining them, if I make as many next spring/summer.

You can see every dress I've made this year in my flickr album.  Even though I highlighted my knit dresses, I made a couple of woven ones too...again, they can be seen in my photo album.  But a whole new dimension has been added to my wardrobe and it's totally because of "The Summer of the Knit Dress!"

...as always, more later!



25 comments:

  1. Lots of great looks, Carolyn! looking forward to your fall and winter creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which lining fabric would you use for your knit dresses? All of them are great--particularly the last three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking knit dresses, perfect for summer (or anytime).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a lot of knit dresses for the season, and they all looked so good on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are great knit dresses, and you find such nice fabrics so even the same pattern looks completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to attempt V1250 this weekend. Of course now that I've said that .....

    I need to know more - as in why doesn't the slip work? And what will you line them with? Thank you. g

    Oh - and the vogue you want another of before Summer is over? I can totally see it in the winter with tights, boots, and a cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you in all of your knit dresses. I think you did learn a lot from your summer of knits!

    My blog name was originall for knitting, but also matches my love of sewing knits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of flattering dresses, Queen of Borders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've had a wonderful summer of sewing your beautiful dresses! They're all so very nice, it's hard to pick a favorite! Just curious....why will you not sew Vogue 1149 again until Winter??

    Thanks for stopping by my blog with your nice comments! Yes, my yellow top is a part of my cruise wardrobe! I will be sewing for my vacation until I leave in November!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been scared of wearing a knit dress, worried that it will cling to the roly-poly midriff area. I will have to rethink this and give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific additions to the work wardrobe. Did you line the buttermilk and if so with what? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. You have a great collection of knit dresses and each one is unique. I agree that half slips don't work as well as a full slip. Oh how I love the comfort of a knit dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful dresses - every last one of them!
    How about making a few full slips to wear under the dresses to avoid having to line every dress?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually make a lot of knit dresses but I realized I've only made one or two this year! I'm going to have to get on that. Love your array! I think the Vogue 1179 is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd say knit dresses are now IN your comfort zone. You even sucked me into the V1250 frenzy and I love it. So very comfortable to wear; so very fast to make. Hmmmm, I think that knit print on my sewing table is chanting 1250, 1250,1250.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll echo Jody's question about what lining fabric you like with knits. What qualities does this fabric have, in case one has to substitute? I'm always impressed by your eye for beautiful fabrics. These dresses are perfect matches for fabric & pattern and they flatter you well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your productivity is just amazing. This summer is my first in wearing more dresses than other garments. They are so comfortable.

    Beautiful work Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carolyn, you're one of the reasons that I started sewing dresses, woven and knit! Thanks for sharing your fabulous wardrobe. I still have to try a few more knit patterns and a few of these are on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Regarding half slips with your knit dresses, my mother used to make taffeta slips to wear with her knits. You can find stretch taffeta nowdays as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of great looking dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carolyn, my post is redundant--what a wonderful collection of summer dresses--knit and woven! If you're taking a trip anywhere soon you'll discover another joy of knits--they pack and travel very well!

    Your sense of style as well as your fantastic sewing skills yielded some really great garments! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love coming home so I have computer access and can read your blog! I'm always impressed with your "output" not to mention the good looking dresses you've made. You look stunning in each of them. I noticed I made a couple of knit slacks early summer and I've enjoyed them. Looking forward to seeing your all wardrove!
    Marciae

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi-I am the person who asked the question about which lining fabric(s) you would consider using to line your knit dresses in the future.

    I checked the "email follow-up comments" box below if you want to leave a response on this post. Hopefully, it will get to me. I feel a bit uncomfortable posting my email publicly. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like CJ pattern and I think you have me conviced that I need this princess dress!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails