Sunday, August 21, 2011

Vogue 1250 Maxi-mized

Okay I'm gonna admit it right up front...I'm a copy cat.  Because I copied this idea straight from Katie, who blogs as, KidMD.  She posted about how she maxi-mized her Vogue 1250 dress and I followed suit.



It was really easy.  First I went to the fabric closet (that is groaning under the weight of the newly added fabric, I may add) and picked this gorgeous knit that I purchased from GStreet in Rockville, MD during the Great Fabric Excursion this past April. 

Next I went over to Kay's blog, The Sewing Lawyer, because when she made her second version of V1250, she deepened the cowl neckline and added some more to the back armhole piece.


this gave my cowl neckline some extra ummph!

I had already added a little to my back armhole but following Kay's lead, I added a little more.


When I laid my fabric out, I added an additional 15" to lengthen the dress from knee to maxi length.  Now if you've made V1250 this season you know that this is a quick and easy sew.  It must be because presently there are 39 reviews on Pattern Review and I know that Erica and Liana have also made versions of this dress.  So if you've made it before you may want to maxi-mize one for yourself too.


I did make two changes to the maxi-mized version. Per Katie's advice, I added a back slit at the bottom of the dress then I added about an inch in width to the front of my dress from the waist down, to give it a little looser fit.  Finally right now the dress' hem is just serge finished...it may stay this way or I may hem it...but I'm not sweating it since it is a weekend dress.  Oh and is it necessary to remind you that my pattern now has side seams?  I changed that when I made dress number two.

A back view...


...I'll be wearing this out to dinner with friends later this afternoon...and if you are going to PR NYC fabric shopping day, you will probably see it there too!  Because this wears just as wonderfully as the shorter version does.


...as always, more later!

41 comments:

  1. I love the maxi version of this dress! I also want to make a version in printed fabric since my original was made in a sold....this might be the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant idea and it looks great on you. I will definitely be stealing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, it looks fabulous! I also want to steal this idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn,
    Absolutely gorgeous fabric. It makes the dress, which is beautiful on you. Love this longer version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like maxi dresses on everyone except me! Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, Carolyn! You have really gotten your money's worth from 1250.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job! I love a maxi dress. They are super comfortable in warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're really on a roll with this pattern. Summer being almost totally absent here this year made that I only made one in the end, but it's so nice to see all your beautiful versions, inclusing this maxi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woot! A nice dress! And good for you to sew up fabric from our outing! I am green with envy over the shopping day in NY. Think of me as you buy some great fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! I love maxi dresses but I get weird looks when I try to wear one where I live. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, now you have to make another one for sure, the maxi version is like a whole new dress, its beautiful, great print

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it. You are so fast!!!! Can't wait to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the maxi version also. Lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous maxi dress. Thanks for all the links and alteration information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it!!! I'm glad the back slit worked for you. I think I'm going to do that for my next one. Cuz you know there's going to be another one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. but of course, copying ideas is a necessity!! LOVE that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is wonderful, I look forward to seeing it and you in person next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look MAHVALOUS dahlink! It's a lovely version and fresh and perfect for summer. Wish I lived close as I'd love to see it in person at the fabric shopping day.
    Now I want someone to figure out how to put 3/4 length sleeves on this dress so I can make it up for a Canadian winter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love love love it! I am so going to copy it too! And very unashamedly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe the lightening speed at which you work - I had only just caught up with Katie's blog and thought what a great idea and here you are having seen it, done it and wearing it!! Your maxi version of this dress looks so fabulous - it screams casual elegance!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dress looks darling on you! I hope you had fun at your dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carolyn I hate you. First because I don't have any maxis(sp)and second because I had two failed attempts at 1250. Both times there was a lot of fabric pooling in front right below the waist. Wahhhhh! I'll just have to enjoy1250 through you. Great dress.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I love the idea! And of course your version is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look great, it is very flattering on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous! I'm so glad to see this lengthened. I've thought of doing this too, and now I know it will work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Way to go!!!! I am now making three not two more versions of this dress. Yes, one will now be a maxi!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I must say....
    very, very chic!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful! I think if I had a dress like that, I would wear it just to dinner, I'd want to live in it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful...I maxi-mized mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are definitely getting value for money from this fantastic pattern, your maxi looks great (good way to quickly use up some of your fabric collection too!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a pretty dress! I'm planning to go to PR NYC Saturday too, and I would love to meet you in person after following you on your blog for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Carolyn:

    I am going back to sewing after a six-year break raising a baby, and I am soooo glad I found your blog! I liked it so much that I saved the link in my toolbar so I can find it right away. Thanks so much for all your work!!!

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  33. Making this a maxi dress is so kewl. And you know I saw Katie's version on Flickr too. Super chic! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great weekend look! Very casual chic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great maxi version. It looks very nice on you. How tall are you ?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great dress! Your alterations are really helpful- I need this pattern now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails