Monday, January 28, 2013

Vogue 8208 - The Jacket is Done

This jacket is part of my City in Winter Collection.  I've been sewing this collection since last October. As you know I wanted to create a versatile wardrobe that I could use for any part of my busy life ~ work, dates out with friends and church. I've finished quite a few pieces but I was dragging my feet making the jacket.



The jacket is from Vogue 8208 which is an out-of-print pattern that has been reviewed several times on Pattern Review...and now I know why there are only four reviews for it!  This jacket is a very involved sew with a lot of pieces!  I also decided to line an unlined jacket which added quite a bit of time to the jacket's construction.



I liked this pattern (notice I used the past tense here!) because the military influence was big for Fall 2012.  I thought this pattern encapsulated that trend well and it was already in my pattern collection.  It also worked with the basic bottoms I've already made.

Some stats:
Fabric ~
Brown wool crepe from Mood.  I bought mine at the NYC store but there is quite a selection online and if you specifically want brown it's here.

Notions ~
black silk organza 
brown rayon bemberg lining
10 7/8" buttons
fusible interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply

All of the pattern alterations can be found in this post and the construction details are in the last post.



As you know, I did omit a few things. There is only one breast pocket without a flap.  I thought that all of those flaps were a little too much for my body.  The pattern calls for you to cut the back pattern piece on the fold. I added a center back seam to get a better fit.  I also shortened the length of the cuffs.  Not only did I add a lining but I also underlined the jacket in silk organza to enhance it's wearability factor.

All of that work and honestly, I HATE this jacket.  Not because it doesn't look good on me, or that it doesn't work with the bottoms, but because it's construction was difficult...too difficult!  There was no joy in sewing it.  I don't even know if I would have finished it, if it hadn't been a Mood Project.  I'm sure you're asking why since from the pics it looks decent.  Well, I removed those pockets 4x! Seriously 4x!  I measured and remeasured them before BASTING them to the jacket front several times. Even with all of that, they still had to come off again and again until I was in tears and wanted to throw the dayum thing in the garbage.

Usually it's fit that ruins a pattern for me.  This time it was the actual pattern and the degree of difficulty in achieving perfection.  Now I'm not a perfect sewist but I don't want my garments looking Becky Homecky and if I hadn't gotten the pockets right, it would have.  So enjoy the pretty pictures.  I've worn this to work and now I will bury it deep in the back of my closet until I'm no longer scarred by the trauma of making it!






I'd really wanted to make the belt that goes with this jacket but by the time I got the buttons sewn onto it, I was done.  Done and more done! *LOL*  I have about two yards of the brown wool crepe left.  My original plan was to make a dress from Vogue 8828...that's not happening now.  I'm thinking another version of my TNT dress just so that I can move onto the pieces that are going to be made from the gray fabric. 



I'm really ready for this collection to be completed and since the gray pieces are all made from TNT patterns hopefully, I can knock them out by President's Day weekend.  

So even though I worked my way through the pain and ended up with a wearable garment, it will see the back of the closet until the memories of it's birth have faded away.  Hey I have other toppers from the collection that can be worn with the basics so it's not like they won't be worn!  The jacket is done.  It challenged me.  It made me cry.  It's wearable...and now it will be put away for another day.

...as always more later!

47 comments:

  1. I do understand how it can be when the pain is fresh, but I hope you forget about it soon, because it is nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.. Oh I hate when it happens.. You look lovely so I hope you give the jacket more wears and give that pattern away

      Delete
  2. It does look good on you and looks wonderful! Take pride in a difficult garment finished to look great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really like it!! You look terrific in it, and it looks like a great versatile piece. Despite the pain, it aught to be kept, so bury it deep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great. Hope you forget the trama soon so you can enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your jacket looks great and you should be proud of it for the very reason you are having difficulty facing it just now. Wear it with pride as it is the successful result of a difficult journey. As always, you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the way the jacket looks on you! Sorry it was so painful to make. I think when something is difficult to construct either (1) we want to hide it away because its complexity annoys us and we don't want to think about how hard it was to make or (2) we never want to take it off because wearing it is like showing off battle scars. I hope you can get over the trama of making it because it looks great - be proud of your efforts and show them off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks really good. Give it some time at the back of the closet and I hope you'll love it when you pull it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The jacket looks so great on you and so unappealing (to me) on the pattern envelope! You have a good eye for patterns. I am sorry you are sick of it because that is a very cute ensemble. Maybe after you've sewn something else you'll fall in love with it? You could try pretending it's brand new to you (take it to a store and try it on there) if that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a colour you can't wear? This combination is gorgeous on you! Put the jacket in the magic closet and look at it again later. I'm sure you'll see it differently later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a very pretty jacket. I hope you get over the trauma it caused, because it looks great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I realy like how the jacket turned out. What a pity you had to endure so much pain to finish it. Hope you'll soon forget about it and enjoy the wearing after all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we can all sympathize with how your feel about this jacket. Hope the magic closet works for you, because it really does look good.
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope someday soon you can think of it as a "Badge of Honor", and find some joy in wearing it. Sharing your sewing skill is a gift for us, giving us hope and faith that we, too, will fight through to the bitter end when we encounter similar projects. I'm sorry it made you cry, you look wonderful in it. Thanks for not quitting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As others have said time is a great healer and in a few weeks you won`t remember the hassles. It does seem a shame to not wear it after all your hard work .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, put it in the magic closet until you've forgotten your tribulations with it. I've had to do that before. It looks like a very wearable piece, so I hope you return to it later!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, kinda like giving birth? Messy and sometimes painful, but look at the finished product. Pretty darn good. Do some Lamaze breathing, have a nice cup of tea and one day that jacket won't bring back such crummy memories. (PS...I have brocade jacket sitting in the back of my closet...same reason.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well the pain and tears produced a beautiful result. Definately worth it...just like childbirth! Dress it up (wear it) and show it off proudly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The jacket is beautiful You did a fantastic job and it shows. Instead of remembering the stress of it, can you focus on the sharpening of your skills? It seemed like it was a sewing workout, like an obstacle course, and you are used to flat courses. (Not that that is bad, just different). That being said, I love your site, your sewing and your writing voice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks amazing on you. Hope the hard sew is worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a shame you feel this way about the jacket, because you do look good in it - I hope it gets to see the light of day again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carolyn it turned out well. I can't help but wonder since you have that VOGUE PATTERN window theme in the back, you could have BUSTED one of those poses, ROFL :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love everything about it...except that you're not happy with it. You look great in the pants/jacket combo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Magic Closet. That's all I have to say about that. Magic closet.

    (I love the jacket.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love you in Orange! You just glow and sparkle. It looks fabulous with this brown suit and I do hope you get over the labor pains soon. g

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh that's too bad! I hope that after some time in wardrobe purgatory you'll be able to look at it and say "I sure did kick that pattern's a$$". Cause you did.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm mad at you! That jacket is so beautiful, it has encouraged me to make one like it. I have a pattern similar and now I feel like I need one or I won't survive. And you..... don't like yours... HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a great jacket! I love it! Give me military inspired any day of the week, any month, any year...:). This turned out really nice and you always do so well with coordinating with other pieces. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your jacket is lovely and it looks great on you Carolyn. I do so empathize with the construction hell you went through, though. I hope you enjoy wearing this piece at a later time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have had quite a few similar experiences where I end up not happy with a finished piece because it was so frustrating to make. It's almost like the life of the piece gets sucked out of it. Usually time will heal the wound, and hopefully it will for you because this is an awesome jacket and it would be a shame if you never wore it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's a shame you hate it because it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hope you don't keep it back there for too long. It looks great, and may your painful memories fade quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I understand your feelings. I hope you are able to bring that jacket out in September and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your jacket. Actually, I love everything you have posted. You are doing a great job and inspire me to improve my sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well it certainly is a lovely jacket and well constructed of course. I'm sure you will find the right place in your wardrobe, Carolyn. It's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think the jacket looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very attractive jacket/outfits Carolyn. Give them a few weeks (jacket)and try again. Time heals all (sewing) wounds..

    It's a little departure for you, too, the jacket (to me) has a casual (not TOO casual), maybe slightly Western take. I think it's the topstitching.

    Very nice and a little away from your mainstream look.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The finished jacket does look great, but I can see how you would be sick of the sight of it after re doing pockets 4 times, I might well have given up (or made it pocketless!). Hopefully all the bad memories will fade soon and you will be able to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. For what it's worth. I think the jacket looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The jacket looks great on you. Instead of focusing on how you hated doing it, how about feeling great for finishing it well. Don't waste all that time on the back of your closet!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I sorry you had a horrible time with the jacket,but...you look terrific in it. You got me considering making it again.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a beautiful addition to your wardrobe. You do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yeah I hate when highly involved projects zap your energy!!!! Well with all that work I have to admit it looks great!!! All of that fuss and a gorgeous jacket was the result!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh, Carolyn, I'm sorry that this was such a horrid experience. What a shame because the jacket looks so wonderful! What a fantastic design, and who can resist the yummy chocolate wool fabric? Here's hoping that the memories fade super fast and you'll get happy times with this. It's truly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I know you hated parts of the making of this jacket, really just the pockets gave you fits, but in a few weeks or by next fall, you will discover the jacket anew and be delighted. It really is a nice jacket and looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  45. You are on a roll! One beautiful garment after another!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love this jacket! I love your entire ensemble...the brown with the coral(?).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails