Saturday, June 15, 2013

A few thoughts...

First thanks to everyone who left a comment on the last post commiserating on my sewing room trauma.  Now that I've lived without my sewing room for a few days, I have a few thoughts to share.

1.  I thought that we'd gotten up all of the water.  However, when the plumber came back in he noticed that there was water under the flooring that I laid less than 2 years ago.  It squished when he walked on it and explained that's why the floor was so cold to my touch.  That's what initiated the great fabric pack up and the items being removed from the sewing room.



2.  It took me and my daughter (the same one that helped me lay the floor) 4 hours to remove every piece of fabric from the sewing room, as well as, my sewing machines, computer and TV.  I only had the evening to do it because the team was bringing in the fans and dehumidifers to dry out the room the next morning. They also treated the walls for mold at the same time.



3.  I had to do it in 4 hours because we are in the midst of some really important meetings at work and I couldn't take any time off.  Let me tell you I was bleary eyed the next morning because I got EXACTLY 4 hours of sleep that night.

4.  Why are insurance companies such pains in the *sses.  That's all I'm saying about the trauma of that which is still ongoing.

5.  As for relocating my sewing room, well that just ain't happening.  This is the only place in my home for it so I now have to figure out a way to secure it so that it doesn't happen again ~ at least for awhile!  Although, I've heard enough water horror stories at work this week to realize that nowhere is actually safe.  People who's apartments were flooded by pipes bursting in neighbors apartments, toilets overflowing in another person's home causing extensive water damage cause it happened while they were at work, etc.  It seemed like everyone had a tale to share.  So since this could have happened somewhere else in the house, not just the basement, the sewing room is being set back up once everything is repaired.

6.  For now I'm trying to be positive and think about how I can change the arrangement of the room, once I'm allowed back in.  Recently I'd been thinking that I needed to add more storage to the room to aid & abet my fabric addiction.  Now that I've cleaned almost everything out of the room, I'm going to be a lot more selective about what I put back in.  Don't get excited, all of the fabric is going back in!  *LOL*  I mean some of the other things that I'd never removed because I'd been to lazy to take them out...well that problem has been solved for me...and they won't be returning.

7.  Taking my things out of my sewing room made me realize that I have a small fortune invested in that room.  I've once again instructed my daughter that they are NOT to have a garage sale when I've passed on but to eBay that stuff and recoup some of the money! *LOL*

8.  I did get my computer set up in the dining room and if I play my iTunes Library loudly I can ALMOST drown out the sounds of the fans and dehumidifers in the basement!

9.  I realize that except for social engagements or a dinner/movie with friends, I generally spend my weekends in the sewing room.  It's a great de-stressor for my very busy workweeks.  Thank goodness I do have some plans for Saturday evening this weekend because otherwise I would have been lost and not known what to do with my weekend!

So that's my latest update.  I'm trying to be positive about this because everything happens for a reason and even if it was just to get me to clean out the sewing room and do a reorg, I will go with it...especially since no fabric or sewing machines were hurt in this process! *smile*

...as always more later!




42 comments:

  1. I love you! You are such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your silver (bemberg) lining. That you can now reorganise. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just think how organised you ar going to be once you get back in there - you can spend your time working out the next projects ----good luck hope it all works out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish you good luke for reorganising your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear it is all fixable. How you can enjoy setting it back again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs to you, Caroline. I so remember the drone of those loud fans! I say, get back in there but just make things "off the floor" for a bit of security. I am so glad your fabric wasn't ruined. Sewing will come back, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My insurance company has told me damage caused by floods in basements are rarely, if ever, covered. It seems basements are a vulnerable area and why would an insurance company help you out where you are most vulnerable?!?!?!

    I hope that is not the issue with your insurance company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew it would take more than this disaster to stop a creative type like you. I know we will be hearing about your new and improved sewing set up very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As awful as it is having your sewing room torn apart, I am tremendously relieved for you that no fabric and no machines were damaged. Take care, it will all be over soon. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the clean-up process, the insurance and putting it all back together. My basement sewing room has flooded a few times and generally it is my patterns I have to throw away. It is aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The older I get the more I realize nothing is totally safe or fool proof as you mentioned in the post. I would definitely arrange the shelves with the most precious fabric higher and plastic containers on bottom. I hope you are soon back in place. I'd set up back down there also-wonderful sewing cave -always wanted a basement to sew in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes for dry basement and safe and undamaged fabric. Soon, you'll be back in your space filling it with the sound of a humming sewing machine again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have fun reorganizing your sewing room. I can hardly wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you have a handle on it. I'm sorry you are going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to laugh when I read point 7. Of course they'll sell on eBay! No garage sale for your wares. I mean, they could open an actual store!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our basement is not finished, but we do store a lot down there. One time years ago our hot water heater burst. Since that time, everything that is on or near the floor goes in a plastic bin.

    So sorry this happened to you, and you have an amazing attitude. Hope you can get back to sewing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can sympathize - we lived thru the drone of dehumidifies and fans for weeks - but that was only the start for us. I'm glad you caught this when you did. Yes, insurance companies are difficult but I'm guessing you won't take any @!&# from them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear! Squish is rarely a good sound, is it? Fingers crossed that things begin to improve as soon as the water is dried up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keeping my fingers crossed for you,Carolyn! What an ordeal to go through... Hope you get your room back in order in full form very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is terrible, Carolyn! I feel so sorry for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Big hugs to you, from my heart! I can empathize with you completely. Three years ago here in MA we had the worst March, with 2 enormous storms that dumped water in a lake in my backyard. The basement, where my studio is, was flooded pretty badly in the first storm. and all the water tried to get from the back yard to the sump hole at the front of the house - through my sewing room wall and carpet. We had the carpet ripped up, the room basically emptied and were debating what to do about the wet walls, when the second storm hit. This time the entire basement - family room, pantry closet, everything - was under several inches of water. Because the area was so hard hit, we were fortunate to have FEMA help, especially since this is my place of business. But what I want to share with you, is what we did on the floor. To allow water to flow to the sump pump beneath the flooring in the studio, we put down 2 ft square panels that have bumps to raise the flooring off the concrete. Then we laid the carpet on top of that, and replaced the bottom 2 ft of wallboard and insulation behind it. It works - the rain we've had in the past week has been atrocious, not enough to flood the yard but we did have a little seepage in the back corner of the basement. But the sump pump below my studio floor is working its magic, keeping my workspace dry!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carolyn, you have a beautiful attitude. Your forced re-organization will be much appreciated when you're on the other side of this mess.

    On another note, I have a question. On May 30, you posted a beautiful collage of completed projects. I'd love to know the details of the jacket & dress in the top row on the right. Black/White print jacket and top of the dress. Something like that would be perfect for a couple occasions in my future. Thanks very much!
    xoxoxoxoxo
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carolyn - Hang in there and don't be afraid to make a tussle with that insurance company - they are mostly about preserving their own profits. Yes, it is amazing how much money we put into our sewing (and worth it especially if not buying clothes off the rack). I'm toying with the idea of a getting a babylock serger. . . used and figuring out what I can sell to maybe make it work. . . Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you - you'll get this problem figured out!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. courage, courage, Je suis de tout cœur avec vous pour surmonter vos mésavantures.
    CLAIRE

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, I know it was just time to fondle ALL your fabric again, but couldn't you have picked an easier way? Good luck dealing with the insurance...just been there done that myself. Flat out told me that ground water was NOT covered.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You shall return! And, you are right, damage can happen anywhere, even water damage.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Carolyn, I'm so sorry. What a nightmare. Good luck with the insurance company!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Carolyn your comeback will be GREATER!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry you have had to undergo this... we also had water in our basement (a 1920s home) so I can sympathize. We finally did the waterproofing thing where they dug up 18 inches around and installed the French drains to a sump pump. Ours is wired in (no plug). We have had no problems since. We live where there are springs under our homes so every home in this neighborhood has problems. I have a friend who covered her whole basement with pallets which elevate the floor several inches. Maybe there is a way you can do that, too. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad that your machines and fabric were all OK-- I was really worried when I first heard about the damage that your lovely stash might've been harmed! Here's hoping that everything gets sorted out in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank goodness you made it through that trauma! It sounds really hard. Hang in there and enjoy your evening out!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Knowing you, you will use this disaster to transform your sewing cave into something spectacular.

    ~Sewjourner

    ReplyDelete
  33. I never realized how much of a comfort and stress reliever sewing is to me until we lost power for 8 days in the October snowstorm. I was freezing, lost $300 worth of food, I couldn't sew or cook. What did I do? I started cutting out curtains and every other pattern I could think of just to have something in my sewing queue. Then I took a lint roller and tried to clean all the fibers off the carpet. You'll get through this. You are already there in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  34. On a positive note, I'll bet you will/have found great fabric you have forgotten you possessed!

    Been there done that with the fans; just a couple of weeks ago in fact in our finished basement, where my husband's business is, all on plush carpet of course. Repeated rug shampooing is taking out the mud and dirt and it's recovering, but a pain in the ass for sure.

    Think nothing perishable on the floor EVER -- plastic bins are our friends. End of sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Regarding #7 in your post, it made me laugh - I have a fairly extensive and expensive doll collection - I have instructed my son that I'm making a list of the things he cannot sell for a quarter at a garage sale - otherwise, I will haunt him

    ReplyDelete
  36. I admire your positive/fix it attitude, Carolyn. This mess has got to be difficult for you. I hope that you can have some fun in the re-organization process.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Glad to know no fabric or machines were damaged and hoping with the reassessment & reorganizing you wiil be sewing in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Carolyn, I now understand your comment on my blog better. I really have not got too much to complain about since I just lost power and no damage to the actual house or any rooms, particularly my sewing room. I do know how much time you and others including me spend in our sewing rooms, so withdrawal is so understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You're having a great attitude about all this! That's commendable:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm glad you have a plan for improvements coming out of this, and that the plumber told you about the water under the floor. Had it stayed there, it could be even worse dealing with the insurance. Speaking of which, insurance companies are not our friends, here to help, like they portray in comercials. They are for-profit companies and will fight to keep every penny they can, so they look good to stockholders and can give big bonuses to the executives. I know they need a profit to stay in business and keep investors, but how many millions do the executives need?

    And as far as comment 5 about water damage happening anywhere, it's true, and your commenters have had the stories to show it.
    A couple more ways to look for a silver lining on this - at least your stash isn't scattered for miles from a tornado, along with every other item you own, if not smashed to bits, and no sewage was involved.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh. NO! Carolyn, I am so sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails