Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My AT Black Lace Ponte Dress

It has taken me way longer than usual to finish this dress.  I really wanted to finish it a couple of weekends ago but I had so many things happening that when I finally made it to the sewing cave, I ended up surfing the internet. This past weekend, I had to make sewing a priority, to get the dress finished.


Then I worried because it was so warm outside yesterday - temps in the 80s - it felt more like summer days than spring ones and even though the dress is made from a lightweight cotton ponte, it is lined.  However, I needed not to have concerned myself because temps came crashing back to normal. I'm very comfortable wearing the dress today.

Some stats:
Pattern ~
TNT dress pattern pieces last used in this dress.

Fabric ~
Sophia doubleknit in black from Fabric.com
Printed black lace ponte knit from Fabric Mart

Notions ~
22" black invisible zipper
nude bemberg rayon lining (no black in the stash)
nude 1" lace
black seam binding


Construction:
There are no new construction techniques in this dress. It's why I chose to make it because it was a cut and sew dress.  I wanted it to be all about the fabric.

  • The dress is lined with a nude bemberg lining
  • I added a 1" lace from the notions stash to the hem of the lining
  • The hems on the sleeves and the dress are hemmed using a twin needle
  • The dress is a little loose.
  • Since I don't try TNT patterns on during construction, I realized that when I got to work today.
  • Will go in and remove some of the excess.

These pictures are taken at my job. I rushed home last night hoping to get some pictures outside with the last spring blooms on the trees and instead it rained. After a day of glorious sunshine ~ rain!

I decided last night that I really wanted to wear the dress today since these will probably be some of the last 60ish degree days before fall.  I can handle only one wearing before then because who told me to make a warm spring dress anyway! Hahahaha!  

So here are a few more pictures of the dress taken at my job:




and a close up of my shoes and necklace ~



All photos were taken on my iPad because I got the great idea to take the pictures this morning at Starbucks with my friend from work.  I think they turned out okay.

The dress looks like the original but in my color and fabric choices.  It's comfortable to wear and once I remove just a little from the sides and maybe even peg the hem, I think it will be a perfect spring or fall dress!

This is my last full week at work until June.  I was able to salvage two vacation days from the week and 2 days I'd originally planned for vacation earlier this year. So I will have five days off to spend some quality time in the sewing cave during Memorial Day Weekend.  

I've got another lightweight lavender ponte TNT dress cut out and waiting. I definitely want to work on that this weekend, in between family commitments! What is it about warm weather that drives everyone outside to barbeque?! *LOL* So expect to see more finished garments around these parts soon!

...as always more later!



64 comments:

  1. Your dress is gorgeous and oh, so very classy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress (and the necklace, too) is very pretty. I've been sewing lots of dresses lately; some successes and some failures. You have way more successes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, good accessories too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never run across cotton ponte. Would love to find some. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! You inspire me to be a less lazy seamstress- you put so much thought and detail into your garments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Megan regarding how much attention to detail you give your garments. Do you line most of your garments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 90% of my garments are lined - not because I'm a fantastic sewist but because I'm lazy in the mornings when getting dressed. It's easier & faster to put on one dress than a slip and a dress! *LOL*

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh!!! You look so beautiful in this dress! I was showing my daughter (24 year old fashionista) your dress and what inspired it. You are our hero now!!!!! great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is just gorgeous, and I really appreciate that you also gave us a close up of your shoes and jewelry! I was going to ask about the shoes - no need now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That printed lace ponte is really pretty! Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful combination of fabrics --- looks like it is early comfortable. Great job! The accessories really pop it up to quality work wardrobe!!! Looks professionally and classy! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fabulous (as usual), Carolyn! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It came out so nice! Pretty, pretty, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dress looks great! It has just enough of the lacy top to balance with the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous! Yes, you really do pay attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to line everything and then of course those too warm for comfort days show up and I regret my layered frocks. But of course...lined dresses for fall are divine! This is a stunner, I love the front yoke and matching sleeve perfect amount of pop for the pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very lovely indeed. I like the fabric a lot.

    Question: have you ever considered making the back match the front re the top lace? I think that would be a nice look as well.

    Cheers and well done as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gotta love a tried and true make! Even though the beige lining wasn't planned, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this dress is striking. Very classic and very simple but not.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the lace detail in the lining. The dress looks beautiful! The necklace is perfect with it. Great work! --amanda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the lace. It really makes this classic dress extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous dress very stylish. You look fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! That lace panel is so chic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A gorgeous stylish dress, love the use of the lace ponte, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful dress, Carolyn. Love the shoes and necklace too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really pretty. What a great take on the little black dress

    ReplyDelete
  26. It turned out really beautiful! I love the lace - on the outside, and also at the hem lining :) Lace surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW. You have just made the "go anywhere" dress of the year! This silhouette is so flattering on you, and I love that you lined the dress in the nude color Bemberg -- really makes the pattern of the lace stand out! I bet this dress is going to be a fave for years. Outstanding! Creative Hormone Rush

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well done, another one of your great and inspiring projects - beautiful dress

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is a beautiful dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is really stunning, and it drapes perfectly. This is probably the most flattering version of your TNT pattern. I love all your different modifications, but something about this one is breathtaking. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You just look perfect in this dress and the necklace is killer!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous, and so lovely accessorized!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love reading your post.
    Wish you would do a post on different knits.
    YOur knowledAWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  34. gorgeous as always! and i think the weather dropped back down just for you...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful! I love this dress, and I love it on you. I look at your wardrobe and sometimes wish my company wasn't so casual! Polished as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice dress Carolyn!!! I love it!. Surfing the internet is a drawback for me sometimes too when I go into my sewing cave. Of course, I am looking at fabrics, shoes, etc. online, thus putting my sewing projects on the back burner. You look lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely! One of the best LBD ever!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ahhhhh this dress is BEAUTIFUL!! As usual, another fabulous garment in your closet! My laptop pretty much lives in my sewing loft, so it's really easy for me to get sidetracked when I'm in there. I've been trying to shift myself from watching Netflix to watching a couple of the Craftsy classes I've purchased and that has helped jump-start me actually WORKING in my loft as opposed to just sitting in my chair goofing off (although I still do that plenty!).

    ReplyDelete
  40. You look beautiful in that dress!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. An absolutely lovely dress! I like how you used just a bit of lace at the top. This is like the perfect LBD!

    ReplyDelete
  42. The dress is simply beautiful! I think I must try sewing with lace at last.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looks very smart! love the accessories too.

    ReplyDelete
  44. The dress looks great. Don't you hate it when you can't seem to get the time needed to finish a project? :-( You and I had the same idea for the Memorial Day weekend. I took the Friday before and the Tuesday after hoping to get a little sewing done over the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your dress, I think it would work great for dressier occasions too.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Lovely dress. You do such professional-looking work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a beautiful dress. The lace accent really makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  48. OMG you knocked this one out of the ball park! I love, love, love this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Elegant, classy and timeless...perfect

    ReplyDelete
  50. Absolutely love this dress. What I admire most about your work, though, is the detailed time and attention you put on the inside of your garments. I have lined many, many dresses, etc., and never once thought to add lace to the bottom hem. I'm working on a baby blue linen suit. After seeing how lovely that lace looks on the hem of you dress, I'm giving some very serious consideration to adding lace to the hem of my new skirt. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love it. Add it to the pile that I want to steal when I come to NYC. Lol. Enjoy your sewing vaca.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love this dress! You look amazing and I want this hanging in my clkset now! Well, maybe the shirt version of it since I don't wear a lot of dresses. LOL Congrats on an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love the dress. The lace really makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Your dress is beautifull and it looks very good on you. I begin to sew lace since I learned to sew my own bras. Maybe you can go on my blog: http://byebyepretaporter.blogspot.ca/ (unfortunately, it's in french) but just lookint at the pictures will give you an idea about my sewing. If you have time to leave a comment, it will be very appreciate. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I think you have the best shoes in the world and I love the inspiration necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  56. How did I miss this dress? It's fabulous - although I bet it's no longer in your closet. Boo :( g

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails