Sunday, July 20, 2014

Some Shorts for Danny...

My daughter and her family are going to Myrtle Beach for a few days of vacation later this week.  Danny is growing by leaps and bounds and needs some new shorts.  So while she and the grandkids were visiting today, she waited for the babies to go down for a nap and then hightailed it to the sewing cave.



This is a very bad picture of her and Lena sewing (after the nap) and a link to a better one on Instagram...cause you know I grabbed my phone, took a quick picture and posted it...never thought that since the phone is dying, I would be unable to get the darn pic off the phone! 

But back to those shorts...
My daughter grabbed my Kwik Sew's Sewing for Children booklet and looked for the pattern pieces for quick shorts. 



Before I knew it she had the tracing paper out and was copying the shorts. 



Then after a quick trip through the fabric collection, she had a denim, asked for some of my blue & white seersucker, a khaki linen and a gray linen for a total of five pairs of shorts...just enough for each day of their vacation.  



She did ask for some help adding a little width and length for the shorts...but she was moving fast trying to get at least one pair made before the little ones awoke from their nap. She did actually get a trial pair made up and tried on Danny before his sister woke up.  But there were a few adjustments that needed to be made...which we made together...and then the baby woke up.

So I finished them up for her and told her that I would make the other four pairs for her on Tuesday.  Want to see the shorts?




...and on Danny...



Finally, there was a little accident in the sewing cave this afternoon...a little hand picked up the rotary cutter from the wrong end and there was a boo boo. Thank goodness it was a little boo boo and he didn't manage to slice his finger off...please know he was banned from the sewing cave for the rest of the day...*sigh*



That's how I spent my Sunday afternoon.  How did you spend yours?


...as always more later!



28 comments:

  1. What's good is he is smiling after the accident. Brave fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After getting home from church, I spent five hours!!! in my sewing room cutting out stuff and making a top from beginning to end. Had just the best afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little prince is growing up so fast! Nice shorts--fabric stashes really do come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Carolyn, I can't believe how big the Little Prince is already - I remember when he was born! Those shorts are very nice!

    I tried on a muslin, looked at the fit alterations I need to make. When did I start needing a forward shoulder adjustment? Made my changes, had a visit, then started cutting fabric - only to find out I didn't have enough. So, dug around and started over. I got the dress and lining cut out but now it's Sunday night movie night so no sewing will happen tonight. Hopefully during the week.

    g

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie! And a very dramatic looking dressing in his finger too. I used to make trousers and shorts for my son but then he started school and the bought ones were suddenly cheaper than homemade, and sturdier.

    Now the lad is 13 and I'm allowed to make him a fleece jumper - maybe - meanwhile Miss 14 has ordered a stack of patterns via Vogue's sale and keeps asking about fabrics. Miss 9 has drawn a picture of the skirt she wants. I have no idea if it is straight, A-line or circle shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the Kwik Sew books! I have two boys, now teens, and I don't think there was much in pants or shirts or Halloween costumes I couldn't make out of those books! I've taught them the basics of sewing out of them.

    That bandage is why I don't use rotary cutters; I'M the one picking them up by the wrong end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that sounds like a wonderful way to spend an afternoon! Your little Prince's stance is fantastic - had me smiling over my breakfast - he is so chuffed with his shorts, and quite rightly so. I'm glad the cut wasn't too deep. Rachel ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw my son take the rotary cuter over the weekend - it was locked thankfully but I had vivid images of little fingers being sliced. Gald he is better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! Poor baby. I can't believe how much he's grown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shorts look fantastic, especially the hem area. What technique did you use there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turned them up a 1/2 inch...pressed and stitched flat. These are not long term clothing. Just enough items to get him dressed for the vacation!

      Delete
  11. The picture of your sweet granddaughter learning to sew is priceless. I hope she follows in your footsteps!! And the shorts turned out great. I just led a Sew In at my church (the past two Saturdays) and we made pillowcase dresses and shorts for the boys. We were not really happy with the boy's pattern - they seem too small and narrow. I am going to look for another pattern to use for the future. Yours turned out great and that is the cutest little fellow modeling them! Hope they have a fabulous trip to Myrtle Beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pictures of your grandkids are too cute. Well, except for the bandaged hand, glad to read it he's okay. Danny is rockin' those shorts, cute! And the picture of your grand-daughter and daughter sewing is priceless! You're very generous to help make all those shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is a cutie! Poor baby and his bandaged finger, though. Hope they have fun in Myrtle Beach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shorts are right up my alley. I made a lot of them for my son when he was growing up, I love easy peasy of t hem. I love how you can just reach in the stash and find fabric that like heaven. When I grow up I want a sewing cave just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry the little guy cut himself... rough lesson to learn. Short and sweet.... yes, pun intended! lol.... the sewing lesson picture is darling. Someday, she will be thankful you took a picture of her first sewing lesson. Never to young to start.



    ReplyDelete
  16. Very snazzy big boy shorts. Your grandson's smile says it all. It's so nice that he appreciates the time Mom and Grandma take. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's certainly cheaper to shop in Grandma's fabric store than to buy rtw shorts! He looks very cute in them. How old is he now? He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. He sure is growing by leaps and bounds. Love those shorts and the fabric is gorgeous. I think the other pairs will look great too looking at the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well..... Some might think my Sunday was pretty boring. After church, I did my usual -. came home, prepared dinner for the family and spent the evening relaxing and reading. Monday, however was quite different. Decided it was time for a new bathing suit, so I went to my favorite local fabric store and got a darling piece of four way stretch fabric - white with blue green and yellow flowers. Then I couldn't find my favorite bathing suit pattern. Still searching. I thought my patterns were so well organized. I can't imagine what in the world could have happened to it. I do have a back up plan, but I'll put that to use only if I can't locate the pattern I really want. I'll do one more search of my pattern stash before moving on to plan b.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yikes, poor finger!!! Glad it wasn't serious! Selfishly, I wish you sewed more for the grandbabies so we could see even more photos of them! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that kwiki sew book. I made many pair of shorts, pants, t shirts and pi's for both my boys. They are now 20. and 26. My oldest cut his finger on a rotary cutter also. Scared him and me. Luckily not very deep

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails