However, the day before I stopped by Metro Textiles to finalize a few details with Kashi, and he came up with an idea. He asked me if he gave me a piece of fabric could I make something to wear to the event the next evening. Can anyone say "Challenge!" I left work a half hour early and made it home by 6:10pm which left me about 6 hours to make a dress.
Now of course I wasn't going to start from scratch using a new pattern because I would definitely be rushing the process and might end up with a wadder. Instead I went with my summer fave ~ McCalls 6559! The day of the event was supposed to be hot and humid in NYC (summer is hanging in rough in NYC this year) so McCalls 6559 was up to the challenge!
The Dress Materials...
2 yards of a cotton knit houndstooth
5 yards of a polka dot foldover elastic purchased from Pacific Trimmings
A little seam tape
Fusible stay tape
This is what I ended up with...
A little construction information ~
The good thing about choosing this pattern is that it's already been fitted to my body and made numerous times this summer. The second thing was that I could figure out my cutting and construction process on the train ride home which made it easier to sew. Lastly since it was a knit there are no seam finishes inside the dress.
The construction details are in photos below...
I used my knee length version then added 6" to the bottom
by using pins to designate the extra inches
Design Plus Straight Fusible Stay Tape
was added to the neckline & armholes
Then the polka dot foldover elastic
was added to the neckline and armholes
using a zigzag stitch
The question I was asked most about the dress was how did I get the fringe so even...
I used a June Tailor Shape Cut purchased a hundred years ago and stored with the other quilting supplies in the cave. Yes, I own quilting supplies because about 20 years ago, I was really into art-to-wear sewing. It's easier to cut shapes with squares, triangles, etc.
So I pulled out the Shape Cut placed it on the fabric and cut 1/2" strips using my rotary cutter. Here's a link on how to use the Shape Cut. Mine were cut 7" from the hemline so the entire bottom of the dress would be fringed.
The June Tailor Shape Cut, seam tape, fusible stay tape and cutting mat
Shape Cut placed on top of the dress to cut the fringe
To be perfectly honest all of the strips aren't the same size but it works. I'm not sure if making the fringe prior to constructing the dress would have made the strips equal sized. However, I was working in a short time frame so I went with what was fastest!
About 25 women showed up to shop and I think a great time was had by all. A few pictures are below...
...if you're on Instagram, use the hashtag wineandcheesewithkashi to see other pics from the evening!
Kashi has asked us to sponsor a few more of these so we will. When dates are decided, look to social media where it will be announced first. Thanks to everyone who came out and shopped. It was a great event!
Also my McCalls 6559 did not let me down!
...as always more later!