Thursday, September 08, 2011

Designer Interpretation - DVN Dress Pattern Alterations

The next dress up in the Designer Inspired Series, is this Dries van Noten dress:

Dries van Noten Fall 2011
(photo courtesy of style.com)

It's the mixed fabric combination that appeals to me and that look is being shown in several designer lines this fall.  I've pulled these fabrics to fashion a dress that has more of a corporate slant - yet takes advantage of the mixed fabrication of the designer dress.

left to right:  vanilla 4ply silk crepe, silk herringbone,
black wool crepe, print silk charmeuse

Of course to achieve the look of this dress, I had to make some alterations to my TNT dress pattern.  It basically meant chopping up the dress into pieces to use with the different fabrications.  Here are the pattern alterations for the front of the dress:


For the dress back, I will use the pattern pieces from the Versace Inspired Dress. 


I'm sure that this isn't what the DVN dress' back looks like...this is just my interpretation.  It's what I'd like the back of the dress to look like.  Also my dress back will only use 3 of the 4 fabrics shown above.

All of the pattern work has been completed and the fabrics cut out...next up is the sewing.  So hopefully there will be a completed dress to share soon. 

I have one more Designer Inspired dress left to make after this one is done alongwith the jacket for the Lace Inspired dress.  Hopefully, I will get all of this finished before Monday.  If not, I still have some Sundays in September to work on garments since I have to work a few Saturdays this month. 

...as always, more later!




16 comments:

  1. This is going to be a fun dress, even with a "corporate take" on the DVN dress. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fabric choices on this. I love herringbone, silk combined. I can't wait to see this one made up. It's going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I cannot wait until you've finished this dress. I am sure it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be great! I LOVE your fabric choices--they're perfect! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one's going to be wonderful - love that inspiration photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! I just made a DVN blouse and I'm pleased with it. Good luck with your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to get creative with your stash (having a large stash is definitely a big advantage!). I love your planned fabric combinations - such a great mixture of texture, colour and print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really impressed. It's a tough trend to pull off, but so interesting. Your fabric picks look good together and I can see them working well in one dress. I am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. I'll be rooting for you to come up with an edgy dress that still works in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very anxious to see this one . . . I love combining various print fabrics in a dress (but not so many that it looks like a patchwork quilt).

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh this one looks like it's going to need a bit of head scratching and forethought before cutting! Definately not something I'd have the patience for but I just know you'll be able to come up with something fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. I love ethe fabrics you chose. The dress you posted also reminds me of the old CJ Patterns dress, but in knits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not that different from the colorblock dress you're wearing in your profile photo to the right. I can see how this would be easy for you. Nice fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Carolyn!
    Am sitting here with a brand new Vogue 9771 pattern...and am afraid to cut a size. I'm normally a 14 to maybe a 16 in a top..as I have a 38C bust size. What's your rule of thumb with Vogue patterns? Going a size up, going a size down...or cutting on the size with the bust size printed on the pattern?
    If you have time to answer...great....and then again...I know you're a very busy girl and might not have time to answer in which I'll stayed tuned to your future posts!!
    Take care!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am looking forward to seeing your completed version. I like your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so inspiring. I am learning so much from your postings and the ability to go back and search through past postings. Thank you so much,
    Char

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails