Monday, September 05, 2011

Designer Inspirations - Lace Inspired Photos

The dress is finished. It took quite a bit of work to get it there ~ 2 full days to complete and at least 6 hours of hand sewing...but it is finished and I love it!


The Jason Wu Dress that inspired my garment is sold at Bergdorf Goodman for $1,695.00. My version cost $68.91!

Some other differences:
~ the original dress is sold in sizes 2-8, mine is in a size 24.
~ the original dress has lace down the sides and over the shoulder seams,
   mine has the side lace and black piping at the neckline.
~ the original dress has a "high" waistline, mine is a straight sheath
~ the original dress has a high u-neckline, mine is slightly wider
~ the original dress is made from a wool/spandex blend, mine is from a 100%
   Italian wool

Some similarities:
~ both are lined
~ both have an invisible center back zipper
~ both are sleeveless

Some additional stats:

Pattern:
TNT dress pattern

Fabric:
100% Italian wool purchased from Metro Textiles - 2 seasons ago

Notions:
22" gray invisible zipper
black bias binding
rayon seam binding
7" wide black lace from M&J Trimmings
black satin piping

The detail that drew me to this dress was the lace accents.  I only used it on the side seams and omitted the lace detailing on the shoulder, however, that was the detailing I liked least in the original designer dress. 


I replaced that detail with black satin piping at the neckline because the neckline did need something and this will work well with the jacket I plan on making to coordinate with this dress.


The lace accents on the side are very slimming and I love that about my dress.  While my dress is based upon a high fashion designer original, I believe it will still work in my corporate workplace.  I may be pushing the envelope just a bit but it will work nonetheless.

A few more pics:







Finally, this is the first piece of my newly revised Autumn Six Pack plan!

...as always, more later!

49 comments:

  1. Once again you've hit it out of the ballpark. Love! You look fab. Thanks for the inspiration.
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subtle yet stunning. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! It really is fantastic and flattering. I think it is totally work appropriate. You are sure to get loads of compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're off to a great start on your fall sewing! And the first piece is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, Carolyn! I loved that Jason Wu collection when it came out. The Wall St. Journal featured it in an article about designers' quests to incorporate luxury into their lines so as to be less "copyable" by the Forever 21's of the world. I think only people who sew will be able to approach the luxury quotient of clothing made by Mr. Wu. As you noted, it took hours of time and hand sewing. The Forever 21's of the world are not going to do this. It's too expensive. I look forward to seeing the jacket that you make to accompany this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Carolyn! I wish I wore dresses; I'd love to create something like it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress is just beautiful! I love the lace, and I think that with a smart jacket or cardigan it would be work appropriate for even the stuffy lawyers office I used to work in. :)

    You've totally inspired me to keep working on developing TNT patterns. You get so much mileage with yours, and I love seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, too! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I bet this gets a lot of wear during the upcoming fall/winter seasons. It's classic, but with a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job, Carolyn. I love, love, love the dress. You're truly an inspiration.

    The sense of satisfaction and accomplishment you must feel is worth much more than the savings of over $1,600!

    ~Sewjourner

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH. MY. Goodness!! Love it! Carolyn it's so perfectly you. Why would it be pushing the envelope for your work? It's totally smart and appropriate. g

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great start to your 6Pac. The dress is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really beautiful Carolyn! I always love your inspiration pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your interpretation, you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful dress, really like your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This dress is a lovely way to incorporate the lace trend into your wardrobe. Your fall sewing is off to a great start1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmmm. I may have to steal that detail. I need to start working on a Fall wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful dress--you look fabulous!

    Lynda in LV

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how your dress turned out, I've really got to get a bit of lace in my wardrobe this season.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, what a lovely dress! I think I like your version better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes, it will work, all right!
    Wow that is stunning. I the extra little touch of the piping on the neckline. Of course, the lace on the side is amazing.
    Fantastic, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous dress Carolyn! I absolutely love it! It does look like the inspiration dress! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The devil is in the detail and so is the loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful - I love seeing the many different dresses you create from one TNT pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I LOVE this dress, with those different colors of grey; It suits you so well!
    You really are a professional on sewing (I'll never be that good!) and I love to follow your blog and your work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Carolyn.

    Thank you for another wonderful blogpost.

    I have been wanting to tell you, that whenever my own life is turning hectic and stressfull, it always helps me to look in on your blog for a bit of vicarious sewing :-) Then I know the world is not such a bad place after all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how one day a picture of your inspiration piece, a few days later the actual dress on you. I want to sew like you when I actually get a life. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job!! Yours is better than Jason's.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very pretty, and dressy. Matching lace jacket, coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great results! I can also see you making your TNT dress as the Jason Wu dress with lace appliques as well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a wonderful spin on the designer dress. Great dress! The lace is such a feminine detail:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jason Wu, who? Your dress is as stunning or more!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this. I want one just like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Carolyn, your dress is beautiful and you look beautiful in it! That dress will easily go into winter... dressed up or down with accessories . What a great take on a great designer dress! Just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That dress is awesome, I love the lace insert against the rest of the dress that is very simple. It looks great. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful dress! It always amazes me how you turn one pattern in so many different styles and dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is really sharp! I love how the laces gives subtle shaping and definition. ~ Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Stunning! I think the contrast between the lace and fabric is subtle enough for a chic work look.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Carolyn, this dress is just lovely. Looking forward to seeing the jacket you are going to make to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, Carolyn, ou and that dress are both so beautiful. Thanks for your inspiration. I may have togive this idea a shot this year. But as always, you are first to make a new fashion trend work for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails