This is the first of the Adri Vogue Patterns that I'm sewing for my summer wardrobe, or outfit number 5 in the Chico's Chic Wardrobe. As I stated in my previous post these patterns are out of print. There were 2 on eBay and one on Etsy as I published this post, if you're interested in owning it. That is if it's not already in your pattern collection!
Of course once I chose a fabric ~ one of the printed linens from the collection ~ and laid it down on the fabric my mind started to race. So I made some alterations to the pattern.
See I was looking for a simple medium weight linen dress that I could wear with a cardigan and some skippys or wedges to work. Here is what I ended up with:
Supply List ~
2 yards of printed linen from Fabric Mart purchased last year
Pattern & Construction Information ~
Can we say that I'm still sewing believing that I'm heavier than I am! Cause I made a whole list of alterations and then I took out all of the space I added in. I seem to have forgotten that I no longer need all of that space AND that linen grows so I didn't want this dress too loose or it will hang like a sack by the end of the day!
Here is how I made the bow tie ~
~ It was made by cutting a piece of fabric 5" wide and 45" long.
~ Before adding the tie to the dress, I pressed 5/8" seam on one side.
~ Then after the shoulder seams were sewn together, I stitched the unpressed side right sides to the dress.
~ I stopped an 1.5" from the v on either side.
~ Clipped the tie and the fabric.
~ Turned down and pressed the v, then stitched it down.
~ The last step was to stitch the rest of the band together.
I followed the pattern instructions for inserting the bias binding after sewing up the side seams. It's a better method than I use and more like the one that Kelli from True Bias used in her Colfax Dress sew-along.
A few more pictures of the finished dress ~
This dress works for me now. As pictured above, I will wear it with a yellow cardi. A couple of things to note. I only washed and dried this fabric once. I normally wash and dry linen fabric 3x so that it will wrinkle less. However, I was worried about the print on the linen, since it's printed on and not woven in. So I expect this dress to wrinkle like crazy!
I do feel a little out of step with the sewing population right now since I'm sewing not only from the fabric collection but from the pattern stash too. However, my silhouette is current with what's presently being shown in RTW, so there is that.
As I continue to sew from the cave, I will try to give you either a current pattern that you can use to obtain the same look or let you know if the pattern can be purchased on eBay or Etsy.
I know I went my own way with this dress, and I do want to use the pattern pieces again to make a straight dress more like the actual pattern envelope. Hopefully, I will get to that before the summer is over.
In the meantime, I've pretreated a bunch of fabrics and I want to work my way through the pile of them. Denim dresses are up next!
...as always more later!