I bought it for my old corporate lifestyle to go over a skirt or pair of trousers and under a cardigan. While I liked the pattern, once that lifestyle disappeared I wasn't sure I would be able to use it. Though I wasn't ready to part with it.
Background Information ~
First a little about the pattern ~ the copyright date is 2001. The pattern description says, "Loose-fitting, above-hip length blouse (may be worn tucked in or out) has front-button closing and short sleeves. The back I'm using has a pleat into back yokes and shawl collar."
This pattern has no darts which I will admit had me a little concerned. Also, it's not as loose-fitting as the pattern envelope's picture. Finally let's not forget that kinda lowish (BurdaStyle) neckline. That's why I did something I don't normally do, I made a wearable muslin.
- A poly print from the collection that has no tag so I have no idea how long it's been there
- silk organza for the interfacing
- blue & white shell buttons from the button collection
Pattern Alterations ~
To add width to the hemline on the front piece, I slit the front stitching line and added 1.75" of space there.
After making the blouse, I went back and added the insert from the bust point to the hemline.
To the back piece I did a pivot and slide and added 4" to the hemline. I did the pivot and slide on the fabric. Then went back and added the alteration to the pattern, after I knew it worked.
For the sleeve, I slit it up to the sleeve cap and added 1" to the bicep. Then I added 5" to the length. It was the perfect length to add a hem of 3" and then turn up a 2" cuff.
I shortened the shoulder seam by 1" for my narrower shoulders on the front and back yoke pattern pieces.
I constructed the blouse just like the pattern instructions stated. The only thing I didn't do was handstitch the front down, however, I did handstitch the back neckline down.
I also added topstitching on the outer collar, down the front and around the hemline.
As I mentioned in the pattern alterations, my sleeves were cut longer than the pattern instructions and I added a 2" cuff to them. I wanted to give the blouse a sporty look with the cuffs.
A few pictures ~
Blouse shown with TNT linen pants
This is a pretty good wearable muslin. I think I still need another inch in the the abdomen and hip area for me to be comfortable wearing this as a closed front blouse. I also want to make it about 2" longer - more thigh length. This version comes across as a camp shirt. Once all of the changes were made to the pattern, I wanted to use it with a navy double silk chiffon to make the top and a pair of pants...sort of a jumpsuit look without the jumpsuit all in oneness.
I won't get to this now that the chill is settling in. I have another version of this blouse with longer sleeves and a cuff roaming around in my brain. I want to make it this fall now I have all of the fitting challenges worked out.
Me and Samantha who started Pre-K4 this September
Next up on the blog will be a new fall shirt!
...as always more later!