Saturday, February 13, 2021

Style Arc Mildred Jumpsuit

Y'all I wondered if I'd lost my ability to sew making this jumpsuit!  I made sooooooo many mistakes:

1. I cut it too big because I've gained so much weight (pandemic, surgery, meds) and have no real good image of myself.

2. Then I made it too small - ummm girl maybe take some measurements before you cut it. 

3. Added to and changed pieces that didn't need to be adjusted...cause I don't always know better than the pattern designer...

Here's what I ended up with...


But not without a lot of crying, whining and just wondering if surgery and the anesthesia took my sewing ability with it!

One more thing before I go into particulars ~ in my opinion this pattern is not really designed for a middle aged fat woman.  It has a very slim cut to it and not enough seams for fitting options...so let that be your guide if you're thinking about using this pattern.

Supplies ~

  1. Fabric purchased from Chic Fabric a stretch knit denim (this was in the collection) and is at least 2-3 years old
  2. 2 5/8" shades of blue plastic buttons from the collection
  3. 20" inch navy invisible zipper shortened to 12"
  4. 1" navy blue linen bias binding from the collection 

Pattern Alterations & Construction ~

I started with a size 30 the largest size the Style Arc has...I know, I know.  Then I proceeded to add a 1/2" to all of the side seams.  And 5" to the legs because I wanted a floor length jumpsuit. Y'all know how this ends right - it was too dayum big.

Then I checked my measurements against the pattern and chose to cut a size 24.  I unpick the jumpsuit and lay the size 24 pattern pieces on it. Oh wait, important thing to note, this pattern has a LOW crotch, which hung to my knees in the size 30.

I fixed the crotch issue by taking FIVE inches out of the body of the jumpsuit.  Then I cut it out again and stitched it up.  Now it's too dayum tight. I'm not a fan of seeing my belly button or the generous rolls that Gawd has blessed me with so at this point I'm done.  Seriously DONE! I KNEW that I couldn't sew anymore. Maybe the anesthesia took it.  Maybe the meds sucked my talent out of me - who knows but this wasn't working for me.

Then I did what I always do.  Put my big girl panties on, dusted myself off and figured out a way to make it work.

o  I added a 2" strip to both sides. Thank Gawd I always buy too much fabric!


o
  The invisible zipper was added to the back seam because I was having a hard time getting the jumpsuit over my backside. This will allow me to zip it down and step into it.  My favorite way of getting dressed.


o
  I widened the straps by a 1/4" on each side. Then I made 2 of each strap.  Sewed them together, turned them inside out instead of sewing them in half. The other straps looked too small on my body so I made bigger ones.

o  Instead of sewing them into the facings, I only sewed the back straps into the facing.  The front ones were made so that I could button the straps on. Again, there was no way I was sliding into this with shoulder straps sewn into the front and back facings.


Let me stop here and say the directions are hella confusing. These are more like Burda directions than easy to follow along instructions. I've been sewing a minute and figuring out how to insert the straps almost blew a fuse in my brain. I had to actually sleep on it before I figured out what the words and diagrams were saying.

After I got the jumpsuit to fit, it was just a matter of sewing it together and styling it. So I present my very dressed up yet loungy at home jumpsuit...

A Few Pictures ~





Now, I know I've talked badly about jumpsuits in the past. AND the only reason I considered making this one was because I'm home until who knows when! As such my home bathroom is WAYYYYYY bigger than the stalls at work so I can get undressed without contortions to use it.

Finally, I don't know if I will make this again. I took a leap to add something different to my wear at home wardrobe. I don't dislike the way it looks on me, I'm just worn out by bringing it to life. Halfway through the process I thought what the hell was I thinking making a "new from the envelope" garment. I really should have eased back into sewing by using a TNT pattern.

Anyway, I'm full on sewing again.  The Winter Sewing Room is treating me good. The patchwork denim jacket is up next.


...as always more later!



46 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you stuck with it. I think you look really good and it looks comfortable in it. It looks like a jumpsuit I might try, although I don’t know about a back zipper, I haven’t dealt with one of those since I don’t know when 1975? 83? I’ve blurred it from memory. That body image struggle I do every time I try to sew or shop, and looking at photos is crazy. So taking measurements should help? I’m impressed with you needing to save it, and then how well you saved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like this jumpsuit on you! I especially love it with the collared shirt. I like how the bib is not open at the sides. I have been looking for that style. I did the same thing with StyleArc, ordered a skirt pattern several sizes too big, and the directions use the minimum number of words. Being a beginner, I will need help adjusting it when pandemic is over. I love my sew house seven overalls even though they are open at the sides. I feel like they let me be me. On you, even though the jumpsuit is supposed to be a casual look, they give a suit vibe. One tip, when I slide off the straps to use the restroom, I immediately tuck them into the pockets. I hope that you recover from making this and wear it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it on you. Your post gave me the laugh I needed today - I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I have had a few of those moments with a couple of Style Arc patterns myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think it looks fantastic on you. Well done for persevering. I've stopped sewing clothes for myself due to pandemic out of control weight gain. It's an incentive to lose weight because I love sewing new garments for myself. I already have patterns and fabric so it's like getting free clothes. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have certainly gone through a lot, however this jumpsuit looks great on you and very comfortable. Style Arc is notorious for its lack of instructions and many sewers have scratched their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good on you...maybe try another jumpsuit pattern, without a back zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first picture of you in that huge jumpsuit is a scream. I cracked up. You were such an adult about it. I would have crammed it in the back of my closet and then cried for a while. All that adulting paid off, the end product looks really, really good and comfy, too. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it. And all the trouble you went through makes it apparent you didn't lose your mind because you can work out how to fix it. I would have tossed in garbage because of frustration but you pushed through. Put it in the "win" column!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it! I'm glad you did a Tim Gunn and "made it work". It hangs well, doesn't look frumpy, actually has a slimming effect due to the straight lines and floor length. I've considered doing a jumpsuit, then shrugged it off. But, now I am intrigued by this "jumper" style. Kewl duds, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the final product looks great. I love the change of the front straps to buttons. Definitely will help with wardrobe changes / bathroom. I also have had no interest in jumpsuits because of it, but this looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always look so great in your outfits and your smile, contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh well, the end result looks cute on you, and very comfy! On another note, I was wondering if you have lipedema? I ask because I have it and my body shape (from what I can tell) seems very similar to yours. Just wondering.... sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the way this looks on you. The long line is very slimming. I like it with the shirt. Try rolling the sleeves up a couple of turns. I've been told this helps with the slimming effect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s adorable. Thanks for making me smile. You’re a dynamo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's great, and now I'm wondering if I want to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an ordeal you had with this make, but you won in the end with a very good looking garment. I'm glad you wrote about your struggles with this because then I know I'm not alone in having trouble with sewing. Thanks for posting and enjoy your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I think you look very chic. As to wearing outside. I never would because of the pulling it off in a public BR. Screech. Why do I always feel the building will catch on fire or something and there be me sitting with my clothes on the floor! Thanks for the insight into this pattern. I think as a chunky older lady I shall pass. But you sure do look cute. Pegeth

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so enjoy reading your blog. You never fail to entertain; be it funny, inspiring or thought provoking. Whenever I see a new email from you, I save it to read last, as my reward for going thru the rest of my email.
    The jumpsuit looks wonderful on you and the 'tale' put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look great in it and it's always a joy to overcome a challenge! Growth is always stressful!Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your perseverance is admirable and look what you gained. And I agree with with Piolofun above. As to the make, you look adorable in it so I hope you continue to enjoy wearing it. It looks like it would be great with your patchwork jacket. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love reading your blog. You are very inspiring to me. Your jumpsuit looks fabulous. I don't follow very many blogs but yours is one not to be missed. Your thoughts are some a lot of us share. Your smile lights up all your photos. Thank you for sharing your sewing life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your honesty and making me giggle as I have had the same issues of sewing something and then having to redo etc.I was hoping you were okday when I didn't see a post for a while! You do look fabulous and it looks slimming too! Thanks for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well I think you look dayum good in it. And I think you deserve a dayum medal for making it fit. And I think dayum will be a new addition to my lexicon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved this post! You look great in the finished jumpsuit, especially with the shirt in the first photo, very chic and slimming. Style Arc are my patterns of choice these days, but omg, their instructions are dreadful. Absolutely laughed in recognition in the pic with the giant garment - sure happens to me a lot especially being short. Back to the beginning, figure it out - well done, you are so brilliant and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think your final results look wonderful! All of your adaptations really made this jumpsuit come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, the finished garment looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks good on you! Way to persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think it's very flattering! I admire your commitment to persevere- that would still be stashed on the table after just a few frustrations if it had been me. It turned out really well. And hey, I get the health issues and how it affects sewing and everything else - been there this past year myself. Pat yourself on the back for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooooooo, love that first shot with the dress shirt and patchwork jacket. Do we get to see that combo in the next post?

    The final result looks perfect. I hope you have worked through all of your issues, so that it gets tons of wear! Sometimes the pain makes us put a hard won success to the back of the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really like the jumpsuit on you. Looks fun! Thanks for the honest review and I still want to make one! So happy your sewing mojo is back!

    ReplyDelete
  31. There's nothing like jumping back into sewing with both feet, is there? I think all your hard work, sweat and tears produced a very nice jumpsuit. It looks stylish and comfy on you. And now, you've got all your notes and alterations figured out, so the next one WILL be from a TNT!
    Nice job, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks so good! Sometimes sewing a thing just sucks, but it's nice when you get to the end and find a way to make it work. I've got a jumpsuit in my upcoming sewing plans, and I'm hopeful I can make it look at awesome as yours does!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think your jumpsuit looks faboulus. I looked for the place to buy it and couldn't find it. Comment please. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. norcal - the Mildred Jumpsuit is available on the Style Arc website or Amazon. I purchase my Style Arc patterns from Amazon because I'm too lazy to wait for them to arrive from Australia. I have instant gratification issues! *smile*

      Delete
  34. Oh my goodness Carolyn. Your story of the evolution of the jumpsuit sounds so much like some of mine. I always see myself as larger than I am, so I add inches to my patterns only to have to take them back out.
    Anyway, I love your jumpsuit on you. Just a thought, that design would look wonderful made as a jumper as well. It flatters your shoulders so nicely.
    But that's just me. Like you I tend to wear dresses far more than pants and I turn all of my blouse patterns into dresses eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You have aced the fit. I have to say, that crips white shirt and the dark denim plus the great fitting style looks fabulous. This was worth every bit of aggravation and I hope you do it again. Beautifully styled! How about black cotton velveteen with a red charmeuse blouse for next Christmas??? It's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  36. After all the trials and tribulation it turned out looking really good on you. I think my size and shape is similar to yours. I wonder if it would be best to just take a pants pattern than fits and try to draft a jumpsuit top onto to those, maybe it would be better than a new pattern. I'd love a jumpsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You have a beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  38. It turned out awesome!!! I was nodding my head - yep, yep, yep.

    I would probably have called it quits after the 2nd re-sewing so, kudos!

    Style Arc has great design but whew those instructions. Eesh. They are not it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The jumpsuit came out cute...I like & looks nice on you

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the wide legs on the jumpsuit! Reading about your trials through this make is encouraging to me—we all have projects that don’t go our way. We can set them aside or push through to make some edits. Glad you stuck it out with this one. I think it looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I LOVE YOUR JUMPSUIT - and if it were a pattern with all your mods I would buy it!! And it looks fantastic on you - especially with your denim of many colors jacket!

    A fan -

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am so glad to read your post this bloody jumpsuit has nearly tipped me over the edge. Trying to do the binding at the moment but going have to walk away from it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KatieMcG - I know why there were so few reviews of it online. Also after all of that work, I've worn it exactly ONCE! I really am not a jumpsuit wearking kinda woman after all! *smile*

      Delete
  43. Thanks soo much for posting thus review- it's so helpful ( as well as hilarious). I'm about to start making a Mildred, and am concerned about ease of getting in and out..your review confirmed for me that a zip is a good idea.
    Cheers
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  44. It looks great! I'm impressed. I consider myself an advanced beginner, sewing on and off since I was 12, (mostly off, I'm 62 now, but am trying to find joy in things I used to do. Having grown up on McCalls and Butterick I find this indie pattern very confusing and am glad others have as well. You have given me several ideas on how to hack this if I run into trouble. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I think you rock the jumpsuit look! I hope you have been enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails