Y'all I wondered if I'd lost my ability to sew making this jumpsuit! I made sooooooo many mistakes:
1. I cut it too big because I've gained so much weight (pandemic, surgery, meds) and have no real good image of myself.
2. Then I made it too small - ummm girl maybe take some measurements before you cut it.
3. Added to and changed pieces that didn't need to be adjusted...cause I don't always know better than the pattern designer...
Here's what I ended up with...
One more thing before I go into particulars ~ in my opinion this pattern is not really designed for a middle aged fat woman. It has a very slim cut to it and not enough seams for fitting options...so let that be your guide if you're thinking about using this pattern.
- Fabric purchased from Chic Fabric a stretch knit denim (this was in the collection) and is at least 2-3 years old
- 2 5/8" shades of blue plastic buttons from the collection
- 20" inch navy invisible zipper shortened to 12"
- 1" navy blue linen bias binding from the collection
Pattern Alterations & Construction ~
I started with a size 30 the largest size the Style Arc has...I know, I know. Then I proceeded to add a 1/2" to all of the side seams. And 5" to the legs because I wanted a floor length jumpsuit. Y'all know how this ends right - it was too dayum big.
Then I checked my measurements against the pattern and chose to cut a size 24. I unpick the jumpsuit and lay the size 24 pattern pieces on it. Oh wait, important thing to note, this pattern has a LOW crotch, which hung to my knees in the size 30.
I fixed the crotch issue by taking FIVE inches out of the body of the jumpsuit. Then I cut it out again and stitched it up. Now it's too dayum tight. I'm not a fan of seeing my belly button or the generous rolls that Gawd has blessed me with so at this point I'm done. Seriously DONE! I KNEW that I couldn't sew anymore. Maybe the anesthesia took it. Maybe the meds sucked my talent out of me - who knows but this wasn't working for me.
Then I did what I always do. Put my big girl panties on, dusted myself off and figured out a way to make it work.
o I added a 2" strip to both sides. Thank Gawd I always buy too much fabric!
o The invisible zipper was added to the back seam because I was having a hard time getting the jumpsuit over my backside. This will allow me to zip it down and step into it. My favorite way of getting dressed.
o I widened the straps by a 1/4" on each side. Then I made 2 of each strap. Sewed them together, turned them inside out instead of sewing them in half. The other straps looked too small on my body so I made bigger ones.
o Instead of sewing them into the facings, I only sewed the back straps into the facing. The front ones were made so that I could button the straps on. Again, there was no way I was sliding into this with shoulder straps sewn into the front and back facings.
After I got the jumpsuit to fit, it was just a matter of sewing it together and styling it. So I present my very dressed up yet loungy at home jumpsuit...
A Few Pictures ~
Finally, I don't know if I will make this again. I took a leap to add something different to my wear at home wardrobe. I don't dislike the way it looks on me, I'm just worn out by bringing it to life. Halfway through the process I thought what the hell was I thinking making a "new from the envelope" garment. I really should have eased back into sewing by using a TNT pattern.
Anyway, I'm full on sewing again. The Winter Sewing Room is treating me good. The patchwork denim jacket is up next.
...as always more later!