Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sliding into Second

This month's sewing is all about the June Capsule Contest...and as previously stated I planned on sewing one piece a weekend until the four pieces are finished.

This week's piece is ~ "The Dress"...and although it's not completed, I wanted to show you some of it's progress. However, I have no pictures of construction. I started working on this dress today and all I wanted to do was sew and enjoy the journey. There were a lot of details that needed to be worked out from my basic idea so I took my time and just sewed.

Here is where I am soooo far...


I know I broke my rule and showed it on my body but the flat pictures just don't do the components of this dress justice as you can see here:



My favorite parts of the dress is the changed neckline...the regular neckline on my TNT dress sits closer to the neck. For this version, I scooped out the neckline and added the brown linen facing to break up some of the pattern.



The other part that I am just loving is the pleated bottom...I can't believe I got this to work the first time with just a little thought and determination...I will share how to make the pleated bottom on another post...


Originally I was going to make this a sleeveless dress but now to me it's crying out for some sleeves...so that will be the last component to add to the dress and it should be finished.

Now that the dress is almost done, I know which jacket pattern I'm going to use to finish the mini-wardrobe. It is Butterick 5194 . I have also made a change to my garments, I am going to make a pair of my TNT pants instead of the TNT straight skirt.


So 1.5 down...2.5 more to complete...I'm sliding into second...and I'm almost at home base with it!!!

26 comments:

  1. It's looking great so far! That fabric is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These contrast bands are all over the place this year, and they look great on you! Love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that fabric! You must wear it with red shoes.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! but I would wear them with brown shoes - but not ordinary brown shoes.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous. I am still in awe about how much you can get done in a regular weekend. g

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking great, I love the fabric and the brown trim really works well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving the scooped out neckline and the contrast band!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pleated hem is very smart. It is a bit hard to see in the overall photo, but I bet it gives a lot of movement to the dress. You really make something special with your pattern changes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG - you have one of my favorite fabrics - I got some of that several years ago(Fashion Fabrics Club, I think)and made a jacket, which I quilted and lined. I wear that jacket a lot - though my coordinating color is the orangey-mango and the brown. It's a great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress looks really good. I love the pleats and the neckline. So, I see that I am not the only one to change my mind on a pattern...hmmmm?? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! The contrast bands really make that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, it's going to be absolutely gorgeous! I really love the mix of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice fabric choice. Screams Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is looking very RTW. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is looking great. I love the contrast bands and the pleated bottom that make it very rtw.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the pleated bottom and I think it looks nice sleeveless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous dress and the contrasting bands and pleats are great design details.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great dress! I'd love to see it *in action*! The details are terrific, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one's a real winner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the contrasting band, neck facing and can't wait to hear more about the pleats.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is a winner Carolyn, I hope you get it done soon, can't wait to see all your finished projects

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's really pretty fabric. Your additions are great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the contrast bands, very flattering. Looking forward to details on the pleats, looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK...I know this is one of your TNT patterns, but I can't find it listed anywhere in older posts. What is the pattern, please? Must do a similar one for myself this summer!
    -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  26. This dress is turning out great! I really love the colorway and the pleated skirt! Well done, Carolyn!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails