I made several samples of trim and interfacing choices. I have several different types of fusible interfacings...bought in large lots or given to me by a friend who just rolled yards and yards of them off a bolt...so even though I am starting to get to the bottom of the stash...I still have enough different types to choose from for this project.
My first decision was, how firm did I want the front interfacing and collar to be? That is all the pattern specifies should be interfaced and since I am sewing a jacket and not tailoring one, I went with "some" of the jacket specifications. I pulled three interfacing choices from the stash, cut squares and fused them to a piece of my fabric. After performing a touch test, I based my decision on which one to use. Here is what my sample looked like:
The next set of samples were piping samples. Jean left a comment about possibly using both colors together and the idea really intrigued me. So much so that I made samples using both pieces of piping in two different versions.
Neither of these really moved me, so I decided to use the kewl and funky combination for the piping and button choices.
The jacket was then cut out and interfaced. I am pretty far along with the jacket construction and from my last post you can tell that the pants are done. However, I did some interesting things with the lining and that will be the next post on my "Making of a Suit" series.