Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A UFO Finished

Yesterday was my last day off...and after the trip to the hair salon...I finished up the final things that needed to be completed on my UFO. The last time I worked on this jacket was back in February 2008. I really got discouraged about the project and let it hang. But I have decided that I will finish up the UFOs and move on...so this one was first!

Now, I was unable to resolve the problem with the sleeve caps which caused me to let the jacket hang around in the first place...and I have just decided it was a bad pattern draft and that they aren't fantastic, but its wearable. It's not like I would wear this jacket a lot but at least its complete and in the closet. So why didn't I just let it go?


Cause I love the silk charmeuse lining that I put into the jacket and I just didn't want to lose it. I guess I could have pulled it out and saved it for something else. But the jacket wasn't that far from being complete and it works so well with the Micheal Kors knock-off dress...



Please realize that I'm not encouraging you to wear poorly constructed garments especially when you know better *grin* but I know that very few people in my office will notice the sleeve caps. Gosh, the fabric is soooo dark that you can barely make out any of the details...you just get an overall picture!

Some stats:

Fabric:
Jacket:Black/white pin dot tropical wool from Fashion Fabrics Club
Lining:Anna Sui beige silk print from Fabric Mart Fabrics

Pattern:
McCalls 2085 - This thing is going in the garbage! I can only say that I've done that once before but it's OOP, it doesn't serve a purpose...so out it goes!!!

Notions:
~ shoulder pads
~ 4 - 1.25 inch jeweled buttons from some very good friends who purchased these for me during their Chicago jaunt!

You can see more pics in my Flickr Album...I'm not thrilled with it but it's done!

I'm sure you're wondering if this is the project from h*ll! Nope, I created another mess while I was sewing that I was sure was gonna work...that didn't! *LOL* I think I have a solution to fix it and when it's fixed, I will share...because I just can't have another UFO!!!



28 comments:

  1. Definitely wearable and attractive as well! Kudos to you for attacking that UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those buttons! They draw all attention away from the sleevecaps (which I agree, most people will not give a first glance to, much less a second!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that lining, too. I'm not certain that the sleeve caps are noticeable to the observer, although I know it will "bug" you, because you know the fit isn't what you wanted! But the outfit looks nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on facing up to the jacket and conquering it after so long! It's much better to overcome your sewing demons, even if the end result isn't perfect, than to let the unfinished sight of it continue to bring you down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you feel better now that it is done? It does look great with the dress, so enjoy it as it is. Obviously, you feel no guilt for trashing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel, you sound like a perfectionist like me. I agree, it does flatter the dress, and you are probably much more conscious of the flaw than anyone else would be. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great in the picture. People wouldn't know what they are looking at even if you tried to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erica B. is RIGHT!

    Your jacket looks super-fantastic with your dress so just enjoy wearing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes when someone is talking about a pattern you just don't get it until you see the pattern! 2085...!!!! Too funny! I have that same pattern sitting at the ready in my sewing room trying to figure out what to do with it because I found that I have 2 of them... same size! Not that I bought 2 of the same... (when my daughter and I worked at a fabric store... we used to be able to take home old patterns for free!) so I guess we both brought it home!
    Sorry, I can't see anything wrong with the sleeve... looks nice to me... but, you have to wear it/be happy with it! I'm thinking that if it's not enough at the top... you may need to add to the top of the sleeve pattern?
    Glad you got it finished! The Silk/black really are pretty though... the entire coat looks great... from where I sit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The complete ensemble looks amazing--I like the Michael Kors interpretation dress when I first saw it, but when you wear it with the black jacket, it's like a great painting in the right frame. I literally gasped in admiration when I saw it--the white and the gray just *pop*! And yes, I love the buttons on the jacket. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Converting a UFO to a FO is good! If anyone notices the sleeve caps, it will probably be someone who sews. I love the lining, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looked very hard to find what you're talking about. No one at work will ever think that there is something wrong with it! It really looks great with your Michael Kors dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you look awesome in that outfit and only a seamstress would notice something was wrong; the average people can't tell the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't see anything with the sleeve caps!? So I am sure non sewers will not notice. It lools great with the dress. Gorgeous fabric and lining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But you look SO CHIC in that photo when it comes to the tsuris the pattern gave you - none of it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well it sure looks good in the photos so you're definitely right that no one at work is going to see any problem at all. That length of jacket with a dress looks fantastic on you, well done for not giving up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hair looks great. So shiny and the soft curls really make a difference. So...the outfit looks better because of the do! Actually, with all the sewing you do, I'm surprised you don't have more UFOs. I have a ton and don't make a third of the clothes you do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not seeing it! Looks beautiful to me. Maybe I need to see the jacket itself to see what you are talking about. But I've had a few outfits that didn't necessary look bad they just felt, well, not right to me. But you finished it and now it's in your closet. And it was really worth saving just for the lining. LOVE the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with everyone else! That jacket looks really nice expecially with that dress! But then I heart the 3/4-length, duster-type jackets (off the top of my head I'd say I've got three in my closet at this very moment, and one that I just cut out :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. The lining was more than enough reason to salvage this UFO. I'm glad you finished it - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think anyone will notice the sleeves except you. I think the lining is fabulous and the buttons - to die for! Good for you for finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yet another great professional look!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the jacket- and your exhortation "...I'm not encouraging you to wear poorly constructed garments..." I just sent my cubscout leader blouse back because the button holes were so poorly done, they made the whole front placket pucker. I told my DH, "If I made this, I'd be ashamed of myself!"
    Great job on getting rid of the UFO and getting a nice jacket in return.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great save, Carolyn! It's the perfect compliment to your Michael Kor knock off dress!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I happened upon your blog when looking for a pattern. So glad I did. I love reading your blog! You are inspirational. Thanks so much for sharing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the coat and the lining. Looks great on you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please share with us just how you know the sleeve cap is not right. Does it have odd wrinkles, stand upward, or feel uncomfortable? It looks good. This fitting journey is not easy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails