Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Sewing Year in Review

Let's get right to it:

I've made 44 garments this year.  I used 97 yards of fabric...I'm sure that I bought 3x that much!  *LOL* 

Garment breakdown:
21 dresses
1 Vest
9 Cardigans/Jackets
2 pairs of pants
2 tops and 9 skirts

Clearly this was the year of the dress and the year of the TNT pattern since 10 of the dresses came from my TNT dress pattern. The pants and all except the last skirt were also made from a TNT pattern. Dang what happened to all those new patterns I purchased!?! *LOL*

When I look back at my review for 2008, I realize that dresses have remained in the forefront of my sewing consciousness since I made 16 last year.  I did not enter any contests or competitions this year...but I did do the Lucky Skirt Challenge with three of my blogger friends.

I was most influenced this year by two things - "The Michelle Obama Effect" and Michael Kors designs.  I've written several posts on how Michelle Obama's style of dress reflects many aspects of my professional life...her simple sheath dresses coupled with a cute cardigan or a skirt and twinset combo so resonated with me.  And as I said previously, Michael Kors just knows how to dress a woman...and I have shamelessly interpreted his designs and elements from his garments.

However, I didn't meet all of the goals that I set last year.  I continue to purchase fabric...slowing down at the beginning of the year...and then later at the end of the year when I realized that there is ALOT of inspiration abiding in my apartment! *LOL* 

However, the one goal that I did meet this year was that I took my time.  I enjoyed the process more.  I thought out what I wanted to make and how it worked in my life and I made what I imagined using my TNT patterns...I really was on a creative flow especially in the last quarter of the year...

I also met quite a few of my sewing friends this year...and plan to have a few more sewing salons so that we in the NY/NJ/CT/PA/MD area can get together and discuss what we are sooooo passionate about.

I've decided not to set any sewing goals for 2010.  It is the beginning of a new decade and I want to see where my creative juices take me. 

January will begin my 4th year of blogging and I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who've come by to read my ramblings...who leave a comment...who question my sanity *LOL*...or who just plain understand my need to put needle and thread to fabric to create something new.  I truly hope that I have encouraged you, inspired you and caused you to look at this creative process in a different light.  I also hope that you will continue to travel along with me as I discuss my aspirations, my goals, and my dreams regarding this all consuming passion.

May the New Year bring each and every one of you, peace, love, joy, happiness and good health.  I also hope that all of your needs are met...whether they be for a new job, a new home, a baby, a mate...or just your own sewing space.

See you in 2010 where I will definitely share more of my sewing with you!  Thanks again and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!


32 comments:

  1. You've made some great things. I love dresses too and they were the majority of the things I made also! I can't wait to see what you make in 2010!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly an inspiration to us all!!! Keep sewing and keep an open mind and spread your creative wings!!!
    I hope your friend at Blue Gardenia is doing better with your suggestion to buy patterns from her. I ordered one and was tempted to buy some vintage jewelry...oh my she has beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words and (sewing) deeds have been an inspiration to me this year . . . wishing you a GREAT 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A woman after my own heart-- always more dresses! Thank you for sharing your beautiful sewn garments. happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the goal that you did meet - taking your time. That is one of the goals I need to meet. Seems like I just want to hurry and get the item finished so I can wear it. I need to slow down and enjoy the journey.

    Can't wait to see what you are going to sew in 2010. Hugs, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have definitely been an inspiration for me and I check your blog religiously. Thank you for all your efforts to share. Also, thank you so much for your reference to the Blue Gardenia. I found a pattern for a dress that my mother had made in the late 50's in a beautiful navy wool. She has been gone since 1996. I have been desperate to find this pattern and could see it's cover in my memory as clear as day. Blue Gardenia had it! I'm thrilled. Ordered that one and two more. You helped make my day. Thanks so much.

    Joan R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, I come to your blog once a day to be inspired. You will never know how much I appreciate your honesty, your love of the needle, your generosity, and your incredible drive to sew. Thank you for four years of pure sewing inspiration. You rock, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading your blog--after my kids' it's the first one I read on my Google Reader. Thanks for your blog--have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for being such as inspiration. You turned me on to wearing dresses last summer. You put your foot in it this year. It's been nice watching your sewing evolve over the years.

    Here's to a great 2010. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dresses vs. everything else statistics are off the chart as well.

    I'm glad you enjoyed your sewing this year! Can't wait to see what you come up with for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some day I'll make dresses for me again; right now Annie is the only one I'll make dresses for. When I do make dresses for me again I'll definitely look to you for inspiration.

    So glad you are a friend, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes for a new year - 2010..... I can't wait for new inspirations from you. As I have posted elsewhere, I have learned more and garnered more ideas than from all the pricey classes and seminars I have attended. Keep up your inspiring posts. You are one of a kind. -----Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year Carolyn! Here's to a prosperous sewing New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a big dress fan - I live on Vancouver Island where polartec casual rules - but I love hearing about your creative process and insights. Thanks for putting your time and energy into keeping this wonderful blog. Best wishes for a creative and inspiring New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year to you. One of my goals for the coming year will be to make and look as fantastic in dresses as you do! You are truly an inspiration. While I don't live in your area I would love to be a part of one of your sewing salons!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Yaer, Carolyn!

    I can't wait to see what happens when you get crackin' on 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year! I think you've found two great inspirations and you've done a wonderful job of making those styles your own. Keep up the good work and continue to inspire us in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 37 dresses in the last 2 years! That is a lot of dresses. I cleaned out my wardrobe yesterday and I have 4 dresses - and only 1 is appropriate for work...sigh...
    You are an inspiration and I love to read your blog. Hope the New Year brings lots of good things to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Theresa in TucsonDecember 31, 2009 6:38 PM

    I'm not a dress fan either (for me, not other people) but I have loved watching the procession of ever inventive dresses from the TNT pattern. Good wrap-up of the year, and Happy New Year Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. May you have a wonderful New Year, Carolyn. May it included lots of time with the little prince and lots of time sewing. Can't get much better than that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year Caroline! And everyone else too!
    44 garments this year?!?! no wonder you needed a new machine! I look forward to reading about the next years adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank YOU for sharing your passion, inspiration, pictures of the stash :-). This was the year I got in to reading blogs, and yours is on the top of my list.

    As for what you were able to accomplish this past year? I think I'll lie down. I'm tired just reading your stats!

    My only goal for 2010 sewing wise is to have negative net fabric acquistion, OR sew more than I buy in 2010. Added up my current inventory: it's pushing 700 yards. Oh dear--maybe I need to recheck the formulas in my Excel spreadsheet?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year Carolyn! I look forward to seeing what you knock out of the park next year! I love all your dresses and can't wait to make more of my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy New Year and may 2010 be another productive year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for your inspirational blog, Carolyn. Hope you have a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have enjoyed your blog, your sewing insights and seeing your beautiful projects. Thank you so much! Happy New Year and keep sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year Carolyn! I can't wait to see how your 2010 wardrobe comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year! You have inspired me to try sewing more for myself... I will look forward to spending time with you in 2010 and can't wait to see what comes off of your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always enjoy seeing what you are sewing, you have great taste. Can't wait to see what you are going to be wearing in 2010

    ReplyDelete
  30. I came upon your blog late in the year, but plan to be a regular reader for 2010. Here's to a great year in sewing and fashion!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails