Sunday, July 18, 2010

A skirt or two or three

Because of weekend activities, I didn't have a lot of time to sew this weekend...just a few hours tonight.  But I already knew what I wanted to make...a couple more of my easy-to-sew, elastic-waist straight skirt.

I decided to make one from the remaining 2 yards of the red sueded silk, to go with the white silk crepe tank top from my SWAP and the red floral silk jersey cardigan.


I also made one from one of my border prints.  I need to start using these up because the remaining weekends for summer sewing are starting to draw to a close...I think I have like 6 left...I bought 5 yards of this cotton/lycra stretch border print from Fabric Mart and it made a great little skirt:


There's still enough of it left for me to make the dress I originally purchased this piece for...so it will be a two-fer with this fabric!  Yeah!

Construction:

This skirt consists of one pattern piece that is from an OOP skirt pattern that is over a decade old and has been traced onto pattern paper to preserve it's life. 


1.  I cut the front piece with the pattern piece laid full out. 
2.  I cut the back piece with the pattern piece folded in half and a 5/8" seam allowance added to only one side. 
3.  After the fabric is cut out, I clean finish the edges on my serger.
4.  Then all the seams are pinned and sewn together.
5.  Press the seams flat then open.
6.  Measure 2" down for the top for an elastic casing.
7.  Cut a piece of 1" non-roll elastic exactly 37" (I was given a formula to get this number years ago, by Anne of  Needle Nook Fabrics...but I lost it in a computer crash)  However, this number works every time!
8.  Stitch the casing down leaving a 2" gap at the back seam.  Press.
9.  Insert elastic (I use a large safety pin on the edge of the elastic to pull it through the casing.) 
10. Stitch the two ends of the elastic together - some people butt these together with fabric but I just lay one piece on top of the other (about an 1" long) and stitch it together.
11. Stitch the casing closed.
12. Spread the elastic evenly through the waistband, then stitch in the ditch at the seamlines, through the elastic in the casing to insure that the elastic doesn't shift.
13.  Measure up the hem (my standard is usually 1").  Press.
14.  Machine stitch the hem and press.

The skirt is ready to wear!  This takes about 90 minutes from cut-out to try-on.

I've made three of them now...used some interesting summer fabrics...so I'm ready to move onto my Butterick 5147 Dress and the sew-along.

Closing shot of me wearing the skirt that started this journey with a twinset:


...as always, more later!

28 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! I don't usually comment, but that colour, outfit you have on suits you perfectly!!
    You should make more things in this style, colour combo for yourself!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The border print skirt is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make or purchase the twin set? I want to make a set like that for myself but don't know what fabric to choose. Skirts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these colours on you. You do look fantastic in skirts especially, with a pastel twin set to break the line of print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the skirts look great, but that silk one is too too yummay! And the hem looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The skirts are both great, but the border print skirt is just awesome! What a great fabric, turned into a fantastic skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really inspire me to get some TNT patterns quickly. The skirts are lovely. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this border print skirt is just sooooo pretty. i love it!
    barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made an elastic waist skirt myself this weekend. It took under two hours from cutting to hemming. I love quick easy projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute skirts and your outfit looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see an elastic waist skirt coming up soon for me - hopefully will give me some confidence as I try to get my brain around adjusting the Butterick 5147 dress to fit me....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, love the border print skirt. what a great way to make a simple pattern look expensive. And quit counting down summer, it makes it go too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look fantastic in that outfit! The simple skirts with wonderful fabric are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great outfit Carolyn! That yellow is beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great outfit, and I love that border print skirt! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carolyn, could you do me a GIANT favor? Take a look at my trench coat http://trenchsewalong.wordpress.com and give some suggestions for improving the sleeves. I know you are also a plus-size gal, and obviously, you have sleeves conquered. I want to re-draft them this weekend. You can contact me through by replying to this post. Thanks in advance! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. The border pring skirt is divine. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those skirts, especially the border print.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All three of these skirts are so gorgeous - I can't believe how quickly you can make them!! I particularly LOVE the border print one - it is so fabulously summery and gorgeous.
    (I'm back in London now and missing NYC already - thanks again for a fun time).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had a ridiculously productive sewing weekend (for me, anyways) and was whipping through skirts, too. I love that border print skirt! Please tell me you have an orange top to wear with it bring out those pretty flowers. I also really love the yellow twin set and the blue floral skirt. You did good this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had the privilidge to see you wearing this outfit and the yellow cardigan with the floral skirt looks greattttt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing beats a great skirt pattern!!! You made some real pretty skirts!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I cut out a great fuschia skirt last week, but then my serger crashed so I couldn't finish the edges, then a couple of the kids came home for a week...and life took me by surprise. Now I want to get back to my machines...but I have to wait until Friday. I love that border print skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous fabrics! perfect for these lovely skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just what I like, a great quick and easy straight skirt. Yours looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice skirts. Especially that second one with the border print, that is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails